• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What’s in a name?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Giving a photograph a name is simple and common place.
But how simple is it. Really?

I might take the bleeding obvious pathway and call this OFFICE WINDOWS

but why would I bother to give the photo a title like that! Surely any fool can see what they’re looking at here.

This image could have the same title.
what happens whe I name it differently?

I’ll call this WOMAN IN PURPLE DRESS

WHAT WOULD YOU NAME THIS?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What’s in a name? It can draw in fascinating important or flippant references, for example,

“D’Artagnan Waiting”

Doug Kerr

Every work of art deserves a title, if only for copyright purposes. (Each episode of the TV series "The Good Doctor", for example, has a title.)

For This wonderful work from Tom, I suggest "Open Late".

No it doesn't capture all the wonderful features of the photo. It is only a title, not a photo. (Like "La Gioconda".)

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

We can, of course, chose the title as we see fit. We can even chose the title itself to be the work of art or at least to be such so as to obscure the real meaning of the picture. I therefore chose as title: "Lost in the cupcake desert, Alice faced a difficult decision as she needed to counteract the nefarious plans of Dr. Sparrow".

Aren't you glad you asked, Tom? 🕺

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi
my italian friends don't look at it that particularely ... you get there even without a "-" ... and it's really nice and the people are great.

Doug Kerr

Hi,. Jerome,
We can, of course, chose the title as we see fit. We can even chose the title itself to be the work of art or at least to be such so as to obscure the real meaning of the picture. I therefore chose as title: "Lost in the cupcake desert, Alice faced a difficult decision as she needed to counteract the nefarious plans of Dr. Sparrow".
I think that is excelleent - very apt.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Aren't you glad you asked, Tom? 🕺
Which is why I don’t bother in most cases. Titles can be obscure. They can also relate to the interest of the photographer or beholder. My great grand daughter spotted the Nutella. How about ‘Chocolate and Hazelnut’.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Wolfgang,

Should it actually be “Cinque-Terre”, as it’s a real popular travel place name for a string of fishing villages on the Italian Riviera?

Or is there another meaning of “Cinqueterre”?

Asher

Riomaggiore is more accurate. What a lovely place to spend a winter. No tourists to speak of, friendly locals, lovely walks, train to and from anywhere. Trouble is everything is up hill. After walking to our apartment at the top of the hill we then navigated 68 stairs to the top floor of the building. Some view but too tired to enjoy it fully. The locals seem to manage brilliantly.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Every work of art deserves a title, if only for copyright purposes. (Each episode of the TV series "The Good Doctor", for example, has a title.)

For This wonderful work from Tom, I suggest "Open Late".

No it doesn't capture all the wonderful features of the photo. It is only a title, not a photo. (Like "La Gioconda".)

Best regards,

Doug

‘Open All Hours’

The joke was on someone when Leonardo scratched his head for a title. She ain’t the happiest looking person I’ve seen. Looks like her knickers were too tight. Nice bit of irony though.

Wolfgang Plattner

Riomaggiore is more accurate. What a lovely place to spend a winter. No tourists to speak of, friendly locals, lovely walks, train to and from anywhere. Trouble is everything is up hill. After walking to our apartment at the top of the hill we then navigated 68 stairs to the top floor of the building. Some view but too tired to enjoy it fully. The locals seem to manage brilliantly.
aehm ... this is really Riomaggiore? That was the place, the pic reminded me of ...

Tom dinning

Registrant*
aehm ... this is really Riomaggiore? That was the place, the pic reminded me of ...
WHich is the point of the thread, Wolfgang. Naming a facsimile or concept or expression can be hazardous. Images often remind us of ....... perhaps we should carry a marker pen as we make our way through galleries, changing or qdding titles as we please.
A new idea for interactive art?

James Lemon

Giving a photograph a name is simple and common place.
But how simple is it. Really?

I might take the bleeding obvious pathway and call this OFFICE WINDOWS

but why would I bother to give the photo a title like that! Surely any fool can see what they’re looking at here.

View attachment 3523

This image could have the same title.
what happens whe I name it differently?

I’ll call this WOMAN IN PURPLE DRESS
View attachment 3524

WHAT WOULD YOU NAME THIS?

View attachment 3525

Tabacchi

Andy brown

WHich is the point of the thread, Wolfgang. Naming a facsimile or concept or expression can be hazardous. Images often remind us of ....... perhaps we should carry a marker pen as we make our way through galleries, changing or qdding titles as we please.
A new idea for interactive art?

Tom, you’re completely right.
I have to confess I treat life as a bit of a game and I throw my impressions around a little too liberally. I have no hesitation in letting people know what I think. I pass comment to complete strangers many times a day. Fortunately my delivery seems to be non threatening enough that nobody has knocked my block off yet.
For example, about twenty minutes ago I was walking down the street. Two guys were doing a deal on a set of used golf clubs. I walked past, exclaiming “Too small! Too small” as I made the fingers half an inch apart symbol.
For the record they were tiny.

I think Asher should encourage us to name some of his works.

I did it once for James but he seemed ambivalent.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom, you’re completely right.
I have to confess I treat life as a bit of a game and I throw my impressions around a little too liberally. I have no hesitation in letting people know what I think. I pass comment to complete strangers many times a day. Fortunately my delivery seems to be non threatening enough that nobody has knocked my block off yet.
For example, about twenty minutes ago I was walking down the street. Two guys were doing a deal on a set of used golf clubs. I walked past, exclaiming “Too small! Too small” as I made the fingers half an inch apart symbol.
For the record they were tiny.

I think Asher should encourage us to name some of his works.

I did it once for James but he seemed ambivalent.

in the presence of She Who Must Be Obeyed I am reluctant to speak my mind.
only yesterday we were on our way to yoga. Not my cuppa but doctors orders to get my body ready for something. Sex I hope but unlikely.
Christine warned me to keep my mouth shut during the class. “None of your smart-alick remarks,” she warned with a menacing digit.
I got there all quiet and subdued and was warned by the receptionist, two members of the class and the cleaner, who was just passing through to scrub the loos. “Behave yourself, Tommy,” was the general gist of the threats.
Seems like I have a rep.
Buggered if I know how the citizens of Darwin ever came to that conclusion.

Asher Kelman

Jérôme,

R the girls stenciled?

Are such things sold commercially or one makes them oneself and can apply it fast with spraycan of black?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Jérôme,

I found wall art stencils 5” to 36” wide here.

So perhaps a there are life-size readily available people figures too!

Asher