• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What I saw walking the dog this morning

Mike Shimwell

I thought I'd share the photographic results of walking the dog this morning. Everything shot with a 35mm lens on a 5D - I'm afraid I don't know the aperture as it does communicate with the camera, but most around f2.8 to 5.6, apart from the bridge that was at f11.

Mike.

2577973786_99e4c05e1e_o.jpg

2577141339_caac9986ee_o.jpg

2577974268_fd43304731_o.jpg

2577974552_5f723d496a_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mike I love the pictures. What's that lens? Is it the Voigtlander Cosina again?What's the adapter you are using and where did it come from?

How are you processing the images to B&W, they seem dark but, really, it's likely good blacks rather than bad exposure, but I'm not sure.

What's the name of the plant in the first image? When using the lens wide open like that, one is usually choosing one part of the field. Here, the platform of the complex flower formation is merely imaged from the side. Also we do not see the whole stem of the plant, which from this perspective we might expect. This is perhaps a pity since it's likely more interesting. Also the rest of the picture, both foreground and b.g. is hardly defined.

Still this picture is captivating. Is there a reason for the particular composition. It can have a meaning but we'd need a title or some reference to a controlling idea. Probably it is what it is and there is no other meaning intended.

The second image shows how well the lens draws the tonalities one needs in the sign. The result is impressive. The two pictures, side by side might make people stop and discuss meaning if they were in an expensive gallery. Was it your intention to have these two images considered together each with a lone asymmetrical object in focus?

The last two pictures show an excellent spread of shading except that it appears to me that the lower blacks are limited. I do like the bridge but would love to see it with more foreground showing more of what leads up to the bridge. Also I 'd like to have something in the lower right anchoring the picture and a reference point for what is revealed beyond it.

Altogether, a wonderful sharing of your walk and you lens.

Asher

Nice shots Mike.
3 and 4 really work for me the most. I think that Asher's thoughts on the bridge shot could be managed by the point of view moving to the right more. Maybe if you shot from more of a straight on view, we could see what was out past the bridge - (as we do in shot 4) - and get a feel of more depth to the shot.

I like the feeling of the unknown in #4. Where do the trails go, what is to the right on the seemingly steep descent?? It is very bright at the background, is there a clearing back there, does it drop off etc.??

And as Nicolis said, what happened to the dog? Looks like you may have had more fun then the dog.
What is the story to shot 2, are those trail names?

Marshall

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
good luck for your job at that time !

Thanks for the dog, I really like this picture with the dog almost hidden by grass…
One can guess he has thousands of interesting smells around and many things to chase!

He looks happy and busy, on his own…

Mike Shimwell

good luck for your job at that time !

Thanks for the dog, I really like this picture with the dog almost hidden by grass…
One can guess he has thousands of interesting smells around and many things to chase!

He looks happy and busy, on his own…

Nicolas, thanks. We now have new lights and switches in our stairwell... a job for my wife:)

The dog is a type that in the UK we know as a lurcher - believed to stem from the Romany 'lur' meaning thief. They are bred to hunt and, once we go out, she certainly looks for anything to chase. Lurchers are actually crosses of sighthounds with other types of dog, often terriers or herding dogs. Also sighthound-sighthound crosses are often known as lurchers, but a more correct term is 'longdog'. In the past it was illegal for a commoner in England to own a greyhound (the 'nobles' hunting dog) and so crosses were highly prized by commoners wishing to 'poach' rabbits or hares.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Nice shots Mike.
3 and 4 really work for me the most. I think that Asher's thoughts on the bridge shot could be managed by the point of view moving to the right more. Maybe if you shot from more of a straight on view, we could see what was out past the bridge - (as we do in shot 4) - and get a feel of more depth to the shot.

I like the feeling of the unknown in #4. Where do the trails go, what is to the right on the seemingly steep descent?? It is very bright at the background, is there a clearing back there, does it drop off etc.??

And as Nicolis said, what happened to the dog? Looks like you may have had more fun then the dog.
What is the story to shot 2, are those trail names?

Marshall

Marshall,

Thanks for your comments. Looking again I think that you and Asher may be right about the bridge and I may try to reshoot sometime in the next few days to give give a bit more space. In number 4 the path upwards leads to an open field, hence the bright burnt out light through the trees. I chose to accept this as the shot was already at iso1600 to make it handholdable, and actually it does reflect the experience of being there. The path runs along the edge of a steep sided valley and the straight on path does eventually run up to the same field as thebrach you can see in the photo.

Bilton Beck is a stream (Beck is a north UK word for stream) and Rudding Bottoms is the area where the stream joins the main River Nidd. There is an old watermill that has variously worked grain to flour and flax to fibre over the years. It's now a very grand residence. Bilton and Rudding are both local settlements.

Mike

Mike Shimwell

Mike I love the pictures. What's that lens? Is it the Voigtlander Cosina again?What's the adapter you are using and where did it come from?

How are you processing the images to B&W, they seem dark but, really, it's likely good blacks rather than bad exposure, but I'm not sure.

What's the name of the plant in the first image? When using the lens wide open like that, one is usually choosing one part of the field. Here, the platform of the complex flower formation is merely imaged from the side. Also we do not see the whole stem of the plant, which from this perspective we might expect. This is perhaps a pity since it's likely more interesting. Also the rest of the picture, both foreground and b.g. is hardly defined.

Still this picture is captivating. Is there a reason for the particular composition. It can have a meaning but we'd need a title or some reference to a controlling idea. Probably it is what it is and there is no other meaning intended.

The second image shows how well the lens draws the tonalities one needs in the sign. The result is impressive. The two pictures, side by side might make people stop and discuss meaning if they were in an expensive gallery. Was it your intention to have these two images considered together each with a lone asymmetrical object in focus?

The last two pictures show an excellent spread of shading except that it appears to me that the lower blacks are limited. I do like the bridge but would love to see it with more foreground showing more of what leads up to the bridge. Also I 'd like to have something in the lower right anchoring the picture and a reference point for what is revealed beyond it.

Altogether, a wonderful sharing of your walk and you lens.

Asher

Hi Asher,

Now I've settled with a glass of beer:)

the lens is the (Cosina) Zeiss Distagon 2/35 ZF (i.e. Nikon mount) to give it it's rather bulky full name and I'm using an adaptor off ebay. I've also got a Roxsen adaptor that works similarly well. I love the way it draws and its amazing flare resistance, plus the smoothness of the focus transitions. The only thing that I find awkward is focusing it on the 5D, although the focus confirm chip seems to work fairly well. It's not helped because I also tend to use it between f2 and f4 most of the time, so there's not really much room for error.

These images were all processed just in Lighroom (a bit more needed before I print them) and converted to B&W using the grayscale function, but then adjusting the tonality with the HSL (luminance) sliders for each shade. I also adjusted black point and used a bit of curves adjustment to give the images some weight. Thy aren't under exposed but I have pulled down some of the tonality on purpose - but may need to alter that a bit before printing.

(Just as an aside, I've been doing most of my recent printing on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk and find it holds a much better tonal range in the shadows than previous papers, and particularly compared to matte papers).

The plant in the first picture is called Cow Parsley and is apparently both edible and, unfortunately, can be confused with another plant - Hemlock Waterdropwart - which is deadly poisonous. It's prolific in every area of England I've visited. The composition is what it is - though I read a comment in 'The Genius...' last night about images having/achieveing different meanings from any intended by the artist. The lower part of the stem was partially obscured by grasses and I was quite taken by the oof structure of other plants behind. In the second the sign fomed an anchor and some detail for the compostion which let me defocus the path into the distance. After reading your comment I put them up side by side in LR and found that they do indeed make an interesting pair.

I think that you're right about the bridge, and will have another go. When I get chance I'll post it back here to compare to the original compostion.

Thanks for your comments - I do value them. I've also added a couple more from this morning. One is another B&W which I like, but am less sure of the assymmetric composition and the others are a bit of fun in colour.

Mike

2577941123_7983976f41_o.jpg

2578773784_6d3674121b_o.jpg

2577940821_ff6e2d478d_o.jpg

fahim mohammed

Mike those bw pics are simply superb. love the shallow ( relative dof ). I too have this lens and use
it on the d300. the oof i not as good as on a full 35mm frame.

btw..not commenting here just because you stopped by at my thread!

Have a good one, Mike.

Mike Shimwell

Fahim

Thanks for your comments. I must admit I do like the lens and the way it draws the oof areas. I would expect the difference between the full frame and crop rendering is more because the working distance is larger for a given framing than any other reason, as it looks even better on the 1Ds3, and is easier to focus for some reason.

Something that I've noticed since getting my dslr a couple of years ago is that I started out with a pair of zooms, but I now do the vast majority of my shooting with primes again. Back in about 1985 I bought a vivitar 28-85 zoom for my AE-1 and after a few months gave it to my father as I just couldn't use it. Even though I do much better with the zooms now, I still much prefer primes in actual use.

Mike.

Mike Shimwell

I managed to go back to the bridge again yesterday and although I didn't like including any more foreground from the same view, or the mor straight on shooting option, I did try a shot from the other side looking further down the path. Any comments are welcome.

2582583627_6da6d8ff18_o.jpg

I also shot this whilst I was out

2584422529_fbc488d122_o.jpg

And there were a couple of others from Saturday as well that I eventually quite liked

2582583081_9ac0ae59d6_o.jpg

2582583329_b11efde318_o.jpg

Sorry to bombard you with so many pictures

Mike

Mike Shimwell

And finally for Asher, I took a couple of pictures of the Cow Parsley - one showing the stauesque form and the other trying to give some idea of the flower structure (though the latter isn't quite what I'de hoped for as I didn't bother with a tripod...)

Mike

2582583773_f529ec25e3_o.jpg

2582584013_a31b9202f7_o.jpg