• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Technical Question What pixel size works best for your laptop or computer screen.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was surprised that a picture of a “Boy on a Scooter” after Antonio’s opening small park picture, (see post # 4 & 5), was far too tall for easy viewing, without scrolling on my desktop monitor.

What are the sizes most suitable for you for pictures in “portrait” mode when viewed on your laptop or computer monitor?

Thanks,

Asher

Jerome Marot

On my laptop, a picture height should be about 900 pixels if I don't want to scroll. Double that if the forum implements the "retina" resolution increase.

Doug Kerr

On my current setup, when looking at an image on a forum post, I have about 1100 px vertically available for an image proper.

Of course how many pixels "in the delivered page" that corresponds to depends on the zoom setting of my browser. For the OPF site, I normally keep that at perhaps 120%

For what it's worth, my normal practice for images uploaded to forums and the like is to use a maximum dimension (either way) of 800 px.

But of course I'm not sure how that relates to our ability (need) to "resize" images that are uploaded.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Cem_Usakligil

The annoying thing is this. My laptop has a 4K screen. So theoretically, I should be able to see about 2000 pixels vertically without scrolling. But in order to be able to read the text and the menu elements, my laptop is set to display those elements @200%. This also effectively reduces the vertical height of the visible image to 1000 pixels. Both Chrome and Edge behave this way.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Mine re set to 1000 max.
I only use my iPad to view and upload.
I must be doing something right. All seems well and viewed easily.
Perhaps my close proximity to the equator has something to do with it.

Asher Kelman

The iPad resizes the pictures to fit the screen.
So, Jerome,

Dyou have a recommendation for:-

1. a format that is fine for the 1x2 area of the most modern mobile phone screens as well as the landscape area of approx 1.5x2?

2. A maximum pixel width so that the text isn’t forced to be tiny? .....or does our forum always reformat on your laptop/monitor to fit your computer screen and thectext is still readable and fixed size?

Asher

Jerome Marot

I am not really sure how the iPad reformats the images. If you post links to threads with several picture sizes, I can check.

Asher Kelman

On both the macbook and the iPad, the first version of "boy on scooter" does not fit and the second does.
Thanks, that’s helpful.

If you notice again that someone’s image needs scrolling to enjoy, please let me know as I want to develop optimum residing in our new update that is currently being crafted.

BTW, would you prefer that quoted images reappear instead of needing to be clicked to see in full sizexagain?

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

BTW, would you prefer that quoted images reappear instead of needing to be clicked to see in full sizexagain?

I am mystified by the fact that in some cases, in the quoting post the image is "rolled up", just its top showing, with an invitation to click to "roll it out", while in other cases there is only an invitation to click to see the image, which brings up the image in some type of "viewer" window (from whcih I am never sure how to escape back to the regular view of the post).

I'm not sure why either of these is needed, or beneficial.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

Remember, images are still posed by some from their own chosen server!

The general idea is to save “eye-view” space. It annoys me, but I want to get users opinions before changing anything. I myself simply download the image, (resize if was linked to an outside server), and then attach it as if it was my own picture.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

Remember, images are still posed by some from their own chosen server!

Sure, and it should all look and act the same to the "reader".

The general idea is to save “eye-view” space. It annoys me, but I want to get users opinions before changing anything. I myself simply download the image, (resize if was linked to an outside server), and then attach it as if it was my own picture.

Yes, I remember my father talking about starting his Model T Ford.

Best regards,

Doug

My assumption is that any one with a real interest in photography has a screen size of at least 1920 x 1080.
So, I limit my posted image dimensions to 1280 wide by 800 tall.
My screen is 2560 x 1600.

Asher Kelman

My assumption is that any one with a real interest in photography has a screen size of at least 1920 x 1080.
So, I limit my posted image dimensions to 1280 wide by 800 tall.
My screen is 2560 x 1600.
That’s really great information. Thanks so much, Winston.

The dilemma is the tall cell phone screens cover 65% of internet us on forums! It’s so tempting to post tall images in the high resolution superb small screens!

However, these become clumsy to view on a laptop.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
That’s really great information. Thanks so much, Winston.

The dilemma is the tall cell phone screens cover 65% of internet us on forums! It’s so tempting to post tall images in the high resolution superb small screens!

However, these become clumsy to view on a laptop.

Asher
Asher,

IMHO
Do not try to attract the curious, lovers of emotion of Instagram or facebook ...
OPF is not a "social network" like those mentioned above.
You want real amateurs photography? cherish them!
Cellphones might be an interesting medium for photography, but then they should be post for computer viewing ...
I personally use for my work pro (only) Insta and Fb because it is said that it's important to be known and recognized, but for me it's more an action "I am" than "I show". These networks may be modern, but are not even fashionable among young people! (I do not care youngsters , they are not yet, potential customers ...)
So, yes, computer screens are really to be considered. Who cares about selfies! We're talking (at least we should) photography in OPF.
Keep your phone to make ... phone calls!
Cellphones are smart only for Apple or Samsung, because they make big money with them!