• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thr GFX has two versions: the original 50MP bodies and the two new 100MP bodies.

Whats so special about the Fuji MF camera is thr sheer bargain and value!

Fuji GFX cameras bring together Fuji’s heritage of film types for a rich variety of image development choices, the feel and ease of use of modern 35mm photography with the same Sony sensors that Phase One and Hasselblad sell for 10 times the price!

I only have one lens, the 32-64 mm which is equivalent to 27.2-54.4 mm approx in 35mm full frame perspective.

What others use this system with ultrawide angle lenses.

I see two major attractive choices:

2537CC3B-70B8-40DC-811F-C31B2A0F7CF2.jpeg

D0D8FC50-31C1-416D-8A35-7476E12F2D32.jpeg

Asher Kelman

Please post your experience in using ultrawide lenses for landscape and architecture and how important autofocus is for you.

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Well, well, well…
An everlasting debate...
Imho you get what you pay for…

As a side note there are now som adapters for the GFX system to use "foreign" lens. Some are purely manual some no.
You may have to dig into the GFX Fb groups this has been largely debated, can't tell you what's the best as it's not a direction I would follow…

Jerome Marot

I don't have a Fuji medium format camera, but I can summarize my experience with orthoscopic ultrawide on other systems:
  • AF is nice to have, but not a necessity as everything is generally sharp anyway
  • they are not much use for general landscape, they are useful to do weird things with objects close by
  • they are loved by realtors as they make rooms appear bigger
  • for architecture, they can be used to keep verticals parallel: keep the camera horizontal and crop the extra foreground. That is the same effect as a shift lens. You lose some resolution, but what is left is enough on a 50 Mpix camera
  • a small difference in focal length means big in practice. Talking in 35mm equivalent, there is much more difference between 12 and 14mm than between 22 and 24mm. In practice, anything below 16mm is weird. Actually, 16mm is already weird but we are used to it as the 16-35mm is the standard lens for press photographers.

nicolas claris

Thr GFX has two versions: the original 50MP bodies and the two new 100MP bodies.
To be precise :

FUJIFILM GFX 50R Discontinued
• 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor
• X-Processor Pro Image Processor
• Built-In 3.69m-Dot 0.77x OLED EVF
• 3.2" 2.36m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
• 117-Point Contrast-Detection AF System
• Extended ISO 50-102400, 3 fps Shooting
• Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
• Bluetooth Low Energy, Dual SD Card Slots
• Weather-Sealed Magnesium-Alloy Body

And now the
FUJIFILM GFX 50S II

• 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor
• X-Processor 4 Image Processor
• 3.69m-Dot OLED EVF
• 3.2" 2.36m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
• 117-Point Contrast-Detection AF System
• Extended ISO 50-102400, 3 fps Shooting
• Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
• Multi Aspect Ratio Shooting
• Film Simulation Modes
• Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body
And with a five-axis in-body image stabilization system!

See
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1659206-REG/fujifilm_gfx_50s_ii_mirrorless.html/overview

nicolas claris

I don't have a Fuji medium format camera, but I can summarize my experience with orthoscopic ultrawide on other systems:
  • AF is nice to have, but not a necessity as everything is generally sharp anyway
  • they are not much use for general landscape, they are useful to do weird things with objects close by
  • they are loved by realtors as they make rooms appear bigger
  • for architecture, they can be used to keep verticals parallel: keep the camera horizontal and crop the extra foreground. That is the same effect as a shift lens. You lose some resolution, but what is left is enough on a 50 Mpix camera
  • a small difference in focal length means big in practice. Talking in 35mm equivalent, there is much more difference between 12 and 14mm than between 22 and 24mm. In practice, anything below 16mm is weird. Actually, 16mm is already weird but we are used to it as the 16-35mm is the standard lens for press photographers.
I fully agree, I was on the process to post about the same analysis (which is true also with MF cameras)

Asher Kelman

I am going to Israel and will see a lot of excavations of ancient buildings, the Western Wall of the Temple in Jerusalem, cobblestones and alleyways of the old religious quarter of Jerusalem as well as close ups of wild flowers!

So I thought the 17 mm would be dramatic. Actually it’s .85 x 17mm =~ 14.45 35 mm equivalent.

That 17 mm lens is super sharp, gives great color and has almost zero aberrations.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Thanks for your helpful comments and insights, Jérôme and Nicolas.

What ultrawide have you found most useful for architecture and interiors!

Have you seen anything valuable or creative for landscapes with such focal lengths?

Asher

Jerome Marot

Over 10 years ago, I bought the Sigma 12-24 for the Sony A900. Not the best of all lenses, but unique at the time and great fun.

Now that I use a Sony A7, I have the Sony 12-24 f/4, a much better lens. Sony recently issued a faster version, more expensive and heavier.

I think you also have an A7, haven't you? Quite frankly, the zoom would be much more convenient than the prime when travelling.