• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

While in the Camera Store...

doug anderson

I asked if people were still buying film cameras. Guy said, No. A lot of companies aren't even making them anymore.

Years ago I made a big investment in film cameras and I am disappointed that I can't unload them for even a fraction of what they're worth.

Anybody know a place where I can sell/trade in film cameras and get a decent exchange?

D

Many desirable cameras there.

You'll get a better price selling them directly than you will selling them to a dealer. You could post them on eBay or in the classified section here on OPF or on photo.net or if you are a subscriber to APUG.org, you can post them in the classifieds there, and you will find many interested buyers. You might also try rangefinderforum.com for the Mamiya 7 and the Contax cameras. Be aware, though, that the market price is going to be close to eBay price, so check completed auctions on eBay, even if you advertise them elsewhere, so that your price will be realistic.

Gary Ayala

wow ... pretty nice stuff. Unfortunately, like yourself, I'm in digital. Wouldn't mind playing with the Contax for a year or two ...

Gary

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Doug,

The Mamiya 7 has some of the best lenses ever made. In fact you would be hard pressed to beat the quality except with MF digital backs. Perhaps the Eos !DSIII would trounce it but I'm not sure.

The G2 is such a gem. I'd hope you at least kept that as it is small and it provides an alternative way of getting high quality images. What lenses do you have and when did you last use it! Hmmmmm! :)

I too am guilty too of neglecting my film cameras. However I have made a major investment in cameras and lens to do 4x5 and 8x10 film photography as well as pinhole photography. My enthusiasm for digital is undiminished. All my constructed tableau's are made with 3-10 digital images of posed actors. For tat digital is fine.

For me, film is for character, landscapes, cityscapes, concerts and ballet dancers and especially natural light.

I would not worry too much about film availablility. It is still used enough for a market to exist. The choices will shrink but all niches with film photographers will be covered. There is, BTW, an effort to get Polaroid film, at least in the large rolls, made again. For now, I'm not worried. Besides, B&W film stored in your freezer will be good in 10 years time. I have used 10 year old color film with no problems!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

The reality of course is that you can unload them for what they are worth, but it's just a lot less than a year or two back!

The Mamiya 7 has a lot of appeal and you might well find a buyer on rangefinder forum or on here. I've been considering a 7ii as an alternative to a 35mm rf, they are available at very good prices new with the 80 f4 at present.

Usually ebay is a pretty good way of finding out the market price for this sort of kit as all the buyers will look there first!

So what lenses do you have for the Mamiya then?

Mike

doug anderson

The reality of course is that you can unload them for what they are worth, but it's just a lot less than a year or two back!

The Mamiya 7 has a lot of appeal and you might well find a buyer on rangefinder forum or on here. I've been considering a 7ii as an alternative to a 35mm rf, they are available at very good prices new with the 80 f4 at present.

Usually ebay is a pretty good way of finding out the market price for this sort of kit as all the buyers will look there first!

So what lenses do you have for the Mamiya then?

Mike

I've got the 80 for the M7, and an 80, 45 and 110 for the 645.

Now I'm thinking about keeping them.

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Wedding market

A lot of the wedding photographers are going back into film to have a different niche in addition to their digital. Rangefinders seem to be popular with the group. I have been thinking about playing with my old Canon SLR (Elan 7e) since I haven't used any of my L lenses with that body. I'd love to see the 50 1.2 results with film.

D

Deleted member 55

You might want to do what I did! Keep the best film camera made for your digital cameras lens mount.

I picked up a Canon EOS 1V body used that had 1 roll used in it for $300 and that was from a dealer that made $100 on it. That is 1/5 of the new price. I think I will keep it for my estate sale. I do not think that Canon will make another pro 35 MM film body. If you shoot Nikon then the F5 might be a good choice to keep or look for a cheep F6. The latest glass will be better than 35MM film will ever resolve so keep the best of 35 MM till it can not be repaired. Maybe even longer as a collectors item!

Have fun when you can and remember when you need to over expose by 3-4 stops nothing beats negative film color and especially B&W!

The sad thing is that I sold all my MF cameras after I got my first EOS D30. At least I got top dollar at the time! If I had it to do now I would have just kept them since I would not get enough to get a used 40D.