• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Why do you Photograph?

fahim mohammed

p1250638564-6.jpg

They asked a great photographer; Garry Winogrand.

To see what the world looks like in a photograph, he replied.

or as Anon said; a photograph can be likened to a good joke, if you have to explain it..it ain't so good.

p1266250166-6.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
p1250638564-6.jpg

They asked a great photographer; Garry Winogrand.

To see what the world looks like in a photograph, he replied.

or as Anon said; a photograph can be likened to a good joke, if you have to explain it..it ain't so good.

p1266250166-6.jpg

Fabulous snaps of life as sensitive moments. These don't need explanations. But not all photographs deal with such straightforward evocative ideas where no prior knowledge or experience is required.

Without education, what does a cross form on a tree against the rising light of dawn mean, besides, "postcard pretty"? To appreciate that image fully, one needs knowledge of all that the crucifix has represented, from countless confessions to pilgrimages and valiant knights fighting for their faith and Richard "Lionhearted" King of England, and a singer with her crucifix thanking Jesus for her music award to the cheers of her fans.

So yes, it's wonderful to see a nursing mother, a child returning home from school or an old man seeing his new granchild - those trigger instant cross cultural responses. They are also what I really appreciate. However, much more photography does need an introduction as it references other parts of the human experience which form part of its fabric. That must still look right as visual set of "marks" that complement or balance each other somehow. Even if we cannot comprehend the meaning, just covering up a corner might reveal that all parts are easential components as the composition, thus constrained, missing just the edge or corner.

When I look at Jerome Marot's photography in "3", I can look at what's there that he shows now. I also can reference in my mind his previous work and that knowledge makes the pictures even richer and the buried human values more accessible.

Asher

fahim mohammed

I disagree....a photograph stands or falls on its own merits. It is intended for a certain audience..just as jokes are..not all scientific publications are for all. They are geared towards certain specific audiences.

But some of everything can and is understood and meant for all.

One can photograph anything. It is how it is photographed that makes the difference.

I look at a photograph, visual, informative, documentary, for my level of comprehension, and it strikes a chord in me...good. Else it is like millions of others, for which I have no use.

I am not a purist, as far as photography is concerned...I like to photograph what I saw that pleased me
And present it in a way I thought I saw it within me. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe Anon could give you a more challenging response.

James Lemon

I have always ben intrigued with the camera and how it can accurately record something that you see.

James

Asher Kelman

I disagree....a photograph stands or falls on its own merits. It is intended for a certain audience..just as jokes are..not all scientific publications are for all. They are geared towards certain specific audiences.

A very clever response, Fahim! By having a picture, "addressed to a certain audience" you entirely also cover the complexity of great pictures that don't necessarily be have those beautiful expressions and interactions and scenes that pull at our heartstrings! You are a bloody expressive genius, LOL!

Maybe Anon could give you a more challenging response.

Who is "Anon"?

Asher

Antonio Correia

A very selfish answer:

I photograph for my own pleasure, for my feelings, searching for the look it pleases me the most !

Asher Kelman

A very selfish answer:

I photograph for my own pleasure, for my feelings, searching for the look it pleases me the most !

I kept clicking in "A very selfish answer", LOL, thinking it would lead me to something outrageous, LOL!

Actually, your explanation, that "I photograph for my own pleasure, for my feelings, searching for the look it pleases me the most!", resonates well with me.

If people don't like what I do, it doesn't alter my picture's worth to me. Of course, it's harder to share work that no one else appreciates, but the actual taking and making the picture does give immediate satisfaction. Getting positive reactions from others is wonderful for one's hobby, but essential if this one's way of earning a living, LOL!

Lots of major works of art, including some photographs, benefit from a curators introduction in a museum tour. We do not have access to everything of that photographers time, place and purpose.

So, unless the picture is like a joke, or a quip, (to get immediate amusement, empathy or shock from the folks), available explanations, when needed, give more access to the richness of a work of art.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Excellent opinions by all. Diversity of opinion is what makes us unique.

as a good photographer friend of mine once remarked, on a personnel level, ' A photo shouldn't raise more questions than it does answers. '

I tend to agree with my friend.

I agree with you all too.

All good fun :)

Tom dinning

Registrant*
1. Photographing gives me something to do.
2. I have become more aware since I began photographing, more inquisitive, more curious, more observant. I like that because it gives me even more to do.
3. I enjoy the experience of seeing, for a second time, what I saw first, then looking more closely to see more or what it could become.
4. Photographs have become part of my 'language'. Words and picture accompany one another in my conversations.
5. Photographs tell me things I didn't know or didn't notice.
6. I have as much enthusiasm looking at a photo of a corpse in the streets of Syria as I do seeing a photo of my own grandchildren. The magic of the photo is the thing that holds my attention. Every print, poster, projection, postcard, or image filled screen has equal value for the potential each has in presenting to me what I can fathom from its surface.
7. I take photos because I can, in the same manner as I speak because I can and write because I can.
8. I take photos because I must, in the same way I use speech, writing and a simple handshake: because I want people to know who I am.

When I am no longer able to take photographs I will have lost a significant part of my ability to communicate with others and with my inner thoughts. I'm not looking forward to that time.

Jerome Marot

1. Photographing gives me something to do.
2. I have become more aware since I began photographing, more inquisitive, more curious, more observant. I like that because it gives me even more to do.
3. I enjoy the experience of seeing, for a second time, what I saw first, then looking more closely to see more or what it could become.
4. Photographs have become part of my 'language'. Words and picture accompany one another in my conversations.
5. Photographs tell me things I didn't know or didn't notice.
6. I have as much enthusiasm looking at a photo of a corpse in the streets of Syria as I do seeing a photo of my own grandchildren. The magic of the photo is the thing that holds my attention. Every print, poster, projection, postcard, or image filled screen has equal value for the potential each has in presenting to me what I can fathom from its surface.
7. I take photos because I can, in the same manner as I speak because I can and write because I can.
8. I take photos because I must, in the same way I use speech, writing and a simple handshake: because I want people to know who I am.

When I am no longer able to take photographs I will have lost a significant part of my ability to communicate with others and with my inner thoughts. I'm not looking forward to that time.

This is such a well written answer to that question, that I will save it somewhere.

Asher Kelman

This seminal question could be also be framed, "Why do we photograph, when not serving a "client"**? So far we have:

• It bring me joy. (Antonio, Jarmo & Fahim)

• To preserve personal joy in my life, especially family and friends, (Jarmo)

• Part of my vocabulary of better sensing and expression what I see. (Tom and Jerome)

• To document accurately recording something appealing that one saw. (James)

• To document a unique and important "public" experience for posterity, that is unlikely to otherwise survive (Jerome's photography of ruins and Michaels pictures of Graffiti wall art)

• To personally promote ideas or move people's feelings to political or social action (Lee's discovery of photographs of slavery - presumably, some of these pictures were made out of the need and conviction of the photographer and not an organization)

Are there more?

At least I'd like to offer that we also photograph to satisfy two primordial drives:

• As hunters to get the prize or booty that everyone will consider is worthy of admiration

• A gesture against Death: As a way of combatting our dread of relevance to history and making some gesture of being somewhat "immortal, if our great pictures are valued after are dead and buried.

All these motivations and more, might be at work in each of us and if we realize the nature of the underlying drive, perhaps we can focus on delivering a better picture.

I do not think anyone could improve on Antonio's B&W pictures of the city under pressure from urban blight or Jerome's pictures of the art of the Abandoned rooms where students and hippies lived, fought, debated, partied, slept and made babies. Likewise, these pictures Fahim shares on his travels , sampling diversity, with real faces, expressions and gestures, are just perfect albeit some highlight blown out, LOL! such technicalities are even part of the hallmarks of work so well done, that even a part of that image would work!

The quality of such photography here is commendable and I am proud to have you all as colleagues, and that includes those whose names I didn't mention!

Asher

**be it commercial, "artistic", scientific or some official project.

Last edited:

Jarmo Juntunen

Dear Fahim,
I don't take pictures because I have to. I don't take pictures because I have an inner voice that tells me to. The world has not been too rough on me, I don't feel a need to channel my pain into art. I take pictures because I love it. I take pictures for the fear of otherwise forgetting moments like this:

_smaller.jpg

Asher Kelman

Dear Fahim,
I don't take pictures because I have to. I don't take pictures because I have an inner voice that tells me to. The world has not been too rough on me, I don't feel a need to channel my pain into art. I take pictures because I love it. I take pictures for the fear of otherwise forgetting moments like this:

_smaller.jpg

Jarmo,

How is it possible we forget the cute smiles and friendliness of our offspring?

This is one of the surprising joys of becoming grandparents. After the little munchkins become teenagers, parents loose their intelligence, judgement and modernity. Once these self-assertive individuals get their own bills for car insurance and rent, they discover we've become suddenly intelligent and a "go to" resource for everything, especially finance and that spare room! However, once grandchildren arrive, we get an amazing bright light into our lives. We are in demand for baby sitting and become wise again. We experience over and over again that bond with trusting, eager to learn children.

So this picture, Jarmo, is so wonderful. But why on earth does our brain need a reminder as we always do or how precious this sight is? But there's this photograph, it brings immediate warmth to us whether or not these kids are ours or not! There's something in the brain that suppresses enough of good experience of anything that we don't loose our thirst and appetite for more. I guess if not, we'd look at the kids or that glass of wine or beautiful girl and say, "Been there, did that, not interested!"

So, yes, given our brains inability to hold this rich image and replay that experience fully on our own, nothing matches a picture like this!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, I agree with you completely. My main reason for taking pictures, apart from the memory-aiding function, is to try and understand who I am. I also want to able to go back to memories of past events. And I do not trust my memory too well. I need the images to back my mind up.

Thank you for your kind words about the picture and those two very dear models.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

I'm glad you asked the question on what motivates folk to do photography. This is critical as it might help to focus our attention on what's important to make that special picture work and it could be different for all the reasons given above.

Obviously, David Loubser's voluptuous trees are not made for the same reason as your pictures of folk who you smile to and charm on tour or Jarmo's kids.

Asher

Charlotte Thompson

“Art is what we call...the thing an artist does.

It's not the medium or the oil or the price or whether it hangs on a wall or you eat it. What matters, what makes it art, is that the person who made it overcame the resistance, ignored the voice of doubt and made something worth making. Something risky. Something human.

Art is not in the ...eye of the beholder. It's in the soul of the artist.”
― Seth Godin

I think this to be right. The photographer actually photographs his very soul not the photo snapped per se! A divine connection to self, mirrored-

Charlotte-

Tom dinning

Registrant*

I think this to be right. The photographer actually photographs his very soul not the photo snapped per se! A divine connection to self, mirrored-

Charlotte-

I love a conundrum, Charlotte. Christine ends all conversations with me like that."
" it is because I say it is"
"Yes, dear"

The photographer actually photographs his very soul not the photo snapped per se! A divine connection to self, mirrored-

Now I understand why so many of my shots are black or distasteful to the well versed.

Charlotte Thompson

Tom

This is a quote of Seth Godin-“Art is what we call...the thing an artist does.

It's not the medium or the oil or the price or whether it hangs on a wall or you eat it. What matters, what makes it art, is that the person who made it overcame the resistance, ignored the voice of doubt and made something worth making. Something risky. Something human.

Art is not in the ...eye of the beholder. It's in the soul of the artist.”
― Seth Godin

This is mine just to be correct-I think this to be right. The photographer actually photographs his very soul not the photo snapped per se! A divine connection to self, mirrored-

Charlotte-

What you see in a photo caught by you is your soul- I think not that your soul is black or distasteful - What I feel is my own opinion "caught in words"

Charlotte-