• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wild Turkey Hen with Babies in Backyard.

Don Ferguson Jr.

Recently we had a Wild Turkey hen and her babies in our backyard.
Don

Turkey hen babies.jpg

Wild Turkey hen BY.jpg

WT babies.jpg

Turkey hen w baby_.jpg

WT on roost.jpg

WT roost 2-2.jpg

Wild Turkey babies roost_.jpg

Last edited:

Don Ferguson Jr.

Thanks, Asher ! I only saw them that one night on the roost at dusk in a tall pine tree. Amazing to see the little babies fly up to their mamma. I used 100 - 400 ver2 at 560 mm for those shots. The first shot is when they are younger and the hen and babies would come back couple times after staying away for about a week. 800 used on second shot of hen.
Have not seen them anymore.
Don

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This series would make a children’s book: simply “awesome” blended with “miraculous” and ❤️!

I haven’t seen better!

I would Imagine that the new Canon R 100-500 L IS would be even better for this task aa, unlike the novel 800mm fixed f11, it has variable aperture. It beats the 100-400 with its longer reach. But like the 800 mm, it can be autofocused with teleconverters by the R series breakthrough unbelievably sensitive AF system!

But they new lens is on back order from its release!

Nice shots! Love the last one with the babies on the tree.
I've been trying to shoot wild turkeys in New Hampshire and know how hard it is to get close to them.
You've been lucky to have them right in the backyard and you sure made the best out of it (y)

Don Ferguson Jr.

This series would make a children’s book: simply “awesome” blended with “miraculous” and ❤!

I haven’t seen better!

I would Imagine that the new Canon R 100-500 L IS would be even better for this task aa, unlike the novel 800mm fixed f11, it has variable aperture. It beats the 100-400 with its longer reach. But like the 800 mm, it can be autofocused with teleconverters by the R series breakthrough unbelievably sensitive AF system!

But they new lens is on back order from its release!
Thanks, Asher ! Yea, eventually probably get RF 100 500 but right now cannot justify it.
Don

Don Ferguson Jr.

Nice shots! Love the last one with the babies on the tree.
I've been trying to shoot wild turkeys in New Hampshire and know how hard it is to get close to them.
You've been lucky to have them right in the backyard and you sure made the best out of it (y)
Thanks, Martin ! Yea, this spring I put on my full camo and got the big Toms strutting out in country. Will post some soon. I have seen gobblers and hens coming off the roost in morning but never have seen baby turkeys on the roost so was real happy got the shots.
Don

Last edited: