• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Winter Scene

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We do we think of snow, but that means getting chains for driving to Mammoth or some other ski mountain. However, around town, our trees are showing golden leaves that would have been long swept up in the East Coast! Winter still allows us to savor far longer the sienna, yellows, red and golds celebrated in the great fall vistas in New England and New York. We treasure these colors when we find them! Today, my wife called me to tell me that all the yellow leaves of a tree I love had fallen to a carpet over the lush green grass below. I sped over immediately and caught very last light.

HolmbyYellow.jpg

Asher Kelman: Yellow Carpet in Holmby Park

December 2013, Los Angeles

Canon 6D 24 mm TSE f3.5 1/32 sec + 10.3 EV ISO 3200

Moments later it was dark.

Please join me with your own pictures of winter, wherever you are! They can be just landscape, or as you wish, just show us your winter scenes! :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Exactly! Peter Brueghel The Elder! He's always been a major inspiration for me. Unlike most modern artists, he has a sense of our place, not merely as individuals, but as in a societal body, like a self-built village machine, with cogs, gears and pulleys, each and individual, but in serving each
other, they also promote their own strictly private dreams,
schemes and survival necessities.

I feel that spirit of one body having fun, where each person's enjoyment helps make
It for everyone else too!

I hope we can function like that, together, too!

Asher

James Lemon

We do we think of snow, but that means getting chains for driving to Mammoth or some other ski mountain. However, around town, our trees are showing golden leaves that would have been long swept up in the East Coast! Winter still allows us to savor far longer the sienna, yellows, red and golds celebrated in the great fall vistas in New England and New York. We treasure these colors when we find them! Today, my wife called me to tell me that all the yellow leaves of a tree I love had fallen to a carpet over the lush green grass below. I sped over immediately and caught very last light.

HolmbyYellow.jpg

Asher Kelman: Yellow Carpet in Holmby Park

December 2013, Los Angeles

Canon 6D 24 mm TSE f3.5 1/32 sec + 10.3 EV ISO 3200

Moments later it was dark.

Please join me with your own pictures of winter, wherever you are! They can be just landscape, or as you wish, just show us your winter scenes! :)

Asher

If it were not for the weather 9 out of 10 people would not have anything to talk about but the beauty of the weather is that it changes. The tree on the left looks kind of dangerous I wouldn't want to park near it. Looks like you captured the pile of golden leaves just in time.

Jarmo Juntunen

Nice to see winter scenes from around the globe! Here's one from last winter. Laura's looking very anxious to take the ride, while her mother holds a somewhat more reserved expression... close to fear of death I would say :-D

_img900.jpg

Ah, it's good to see OPF getting into the winter spirit! I enjoy grilling on the backyard barbecue, especially after three or four months of doing without during the winter. This little charcoal grill at a nearby park seemed to almost add insult to injury several days ago -

original.jpg

James Lemon

Nice to see winter scenes from around the globe! Here's one from last winter. Laura's looking very anxious to take the ride, while her mother holds a somewhat more reserved expression... close to fear of death I would say :-D

_img900.jpg

Wonderful expression's! The young one looks like a professional at having fun.

Asher Kelman

If it were not for the weather 9 out of 10 people would not have anything to talk about but the beauty of the weather is that it changes. The tree on the left looks kind of dangerous I wouldn't want to park near it. Looks like you captured the pile of golden leaves just in time.

Jim,

Those trees have grown like that for decades, meaning that it resulted in the trees roots being under strain, so therefore they grow until that force is matched. So nature increases the strength of the roots. I doubt whether that tree will fall any time soon, even if hit by an SUV!

Today I saw one tree growing horizontal, LOL! One that tree is deformed, it just reengineers itself like bone does in response to tendons pulling and setting up a force to be accommodated!

Nature really excels at adaption!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Ah, it's good to see OPF getting into the winter spirit! I enjoy grilling on the backyard barbecue, especially after three or four months of doing without during the winter. This little charcoal grill at a nearby park seemed to almost add insult to injury several days ago -

original.jpg

Tom you seem to love things with iron in them! This has grinning teeth!

Very wintery!

Asher

Chris Calohan

It's hard to associate my winter with that of these posted here. Today I was in shorts and a T-Shirt though admittedly when this shot was made, I'd migrated into a wind breaker - for the wind only as it was still in the mid 70's (F).

11490639435_c09a60c9c2_o.jpg

Brisk: Chris Calohan​

James Lemon

It's hard to associate my winter with that of these posted here. Today I was in shorts and a T-Shirt though admittedly when this shot was made, I'd migrated into a wind breaker - for the wind only as it was still in the mid 70's (F).

11490639435_c09a60c9c2_o.jpg

Brisk: Chris Calohan​

My kind of winter.

fahim mohammed

Hey guys; Asher, James, Cem, Michael, Jarmo..I hope you guys have your fires ( or heaters ) going!!
Lovely images from you all.

p766617293-5.jpg

When the circus came to town!!

Doug Kerr

The Sacramento Mountains arise just about 1/4 mile east of our home in Alamogordo, New Mexico.

In the lowest "roll", in the part just northeast of us, erosion of the softer layers in the alternating hard-soft geology has left a number of "shelves". When a snowfall, without much wind, has first started, these shelves shelter the area just below, giving a fascinating "cake-like" pattern of dark bands:

Sacramentos_F40646-01-C1-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Light and dark in the Sacramentos

The clouds here are down to about 5200 ft MSL. The street seen is at about 4576. The house seen is that of our friends across the street, Tito and Rosie.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

To the west from the house we can see the White Sands Dune Field (about 14 miles away) and the San Andres mountains (about 35 miles), beyond which lies the second largest city in New Mexico, Las Cruces (population 101,000!).

White_Sands_F40644-02-C1-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: View to the west

The tallest peak seen is at about 7000 ft MSL.

This was at 8:49 am, but as you can see, the direct sun was not yet on our block—it was blocked by the nearby Sacramento Mountains, 1/4 mile to our east. You can see where the terminator was, "down in town".

What a fabulous place to be!

Best regards,

Doug

Don Ferguson Jr.

From Feb 2010 in our backyard with a rare snow in the South Carolina upstate. Not much a chance it will snow here for Christmas this year. :D
Don

IMG_5282_zpsbce969b0.jpg