• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Working with LightZone on fall colors

Mary Bull

We have brilliant yellow and red maples showing, scattered in with other hardwoods--including my backyard silver maple--that are still green, here in Nashville, Tennessee.

My next-door sister's dogwood has been showing its lovely maroon colors for about a week, now.

But the crabapple is disappointingly dropping only dull brown leaves, with most of its branches swept bare in the last couple of storms. Two years back it was a beautiful rosy pink in the fall, rivaling its brilliant pink springtime bloom.

Here's the neighbor's red maple, seen above the gabled rooftop that I posted a different photo of, in the Layback Cafe a couple of threads back, or so. New angle, different day, different sky:

278611201_bfe797e2bd.jpg

This picture is newly photographed, just the other day, with most of the gables framed out, in camera, and what rooflines I couldn't help getting, cropped out in LightZone.

I also reduced the noise considerably, with multiple repetitions of LZ's noise reduction tool. I am still having trouble holding a focus in the G2 and was trying to give a little definition to the leaves and the twigs with the noise reduction.

In LZ's white balance tool, the clouds looked okay, so I didn't touch them.

In LZ's color balance tool, I pushed the red a bit. Was tempted to push the blue, but restrained myself.

I like what I got so much that I printed it with the R800 Epson and took it over to the custom framer's this morning, so I can have it on my wall when everything is either gray or white in January.

Mary

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Mary,

You seem to be getting a handle on Lightzone. We're glad to have someone learning that exclusively!

Perhaps you could now move to an upstairs window, being safety conscious and using a trpid (yes you need one, just an inexpesive light one for your G2) then take pictures looking down on the tree/ you need to get more tree in the frame.

Or else, go to where you can get the picture. The time taking in processing is a lot. Taking the right picture puts that investment in a good place!

asher

Mary Bull

Thanks, Asher.

Unfortunately, I have no upstairs window looking south.

I guess I will just have to give up that tree. It's in a fenced back yard, on the private property of neighbors with whom I am not acquainted. It's a rental house--I think perhaps about a half-dozen students live there, and nobody ever seems to be home.

Perhaps I can get out to Radnor Lake, where there are some pretty good views, if a storm doesn't take everything down before I have that opportunity.

Mary

Asher Kelman

Well, Mary,

If a storm came, then that would be ideal if you had somewhere dry to shoot from. Otherwise get someone to go with you can give a hand setting up the tripod.

Asher

Mary Bull

I'm dependent on my nephew, and he's only in town on weekends. But I know he would like very much to take his mother and me out to see Radnor Lake again, if he has the time to spare.

Have a look here at what Radnor Lake is:

http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/RadnorLake/

And, also by googling, I found these pictures from the area, in a pbase gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/dcoleman59/radnor_lake&page=all

And this (Dawn at Radnor Lake is the featured picture at this website, at the moment):

http://www.webshots.com/g/d2003/hr-sh/40066.html

Stay tuned. I may yet get a decent image or two out there this fall, myself.

Mary

Daniel Harrison

pro member
Hi Mary, seems your photo could do with some more contrast as the colours look washed out. I also added +8 saturation but as Asher said it would be better to get more of the tree in the frame. Anyways here is my version, hope you don't mind

278611201_bfe797e2bd.jpg

Mary Bull

Daniel Harrison said:
Hi Mary, seems your photo could do with some more contrast as the colours look washed out.
I like what you did.

Actually, when I printed this version of my image on the Epson R800 inkjet printer, it did look washed-out to me. So I went back and saturated the colors and I liked that print. The clouds are of interest to me, but evidently to no one else who has viewed this particular crop. (I took out the house gable.)

I like it with the clouds in, just as my eye was taking them in when I made the shot. Took the saturated-version-print over to the custom framer's place and picked out a triple mat--a 1/8 inch line of maroon that picks up the tree, a 1/16 inch line of blue that picks up the sky, and an inch of off-white, with a dark 1-inch frame that has some bronze highlights.

I'm going to put this on my bedroom wall.
I also added +8 saturation but as Asher said it would be better to get more of the tree in the frame.
I could crop it to do that.

Might go back and play with taking most of the sky out.
Anyways here is my version, hope you don't mind
Indeed I do not mind. I'm delighted.

And I like your version very much. It's close to what I made for my print. I like the added contrast and the saturation, both.

I was afraid to put too much contrast or saturation into the image I posted here, because it seemed to me that it might show up looking "posterized," and I wanted to keep as natural a view as possible.

I do thank you so very much for taking an interest in my problems with this picture, Daniel.

Mary

Mary Bull

New try, severe crop, more intense colors

Daniel Harrison said:
Hi Mary,
... but as Asher said it would be better to get more of the tree in the frame. ...QUOTE]
Since it's not the most outstanding photo in the world, anyway, I decided to get at least a concentration of what tree I do have into the image.

Maple_With_Clouds_cropped6_LZ_CRW_2894-1.jpg

I cropped to keep the tree and one cloud. Then with LightZone's white balance tool, I warmed the temperature until I got a sunset look on the cloud and also slid the "tint" slider over slightly, to put a more intense red on the tree and increase the pink in the cloud.

Then I reduced the noise and went to the color balance tool, where I pushed the red and the blue. I put a soft light on it, also, from the menu. Then went back and reduced the noise again, to keep a bit of contrast lost with the soft light.

Then I went to the hue/saturaton tool and increased the saturation by 12 per cent.

Back to the noise reduction tool once more. And finally, reduced the pixel size while exporting. Did this to meet the requirements of my image host, Village Photos.

So, what do you think, Daniel? Was it worth tinkering with?

Mary

Mary Bull

Daniel Harrison said:
thanks Mary,
Don't crop the sky out, it is an intersting aspect of the picture IMHO. keep it up :)
Okay. Well, as you can see, I did crop most of it out. That was before I read this reply from you.

Why don't you show me a better crop, if you have the time?

Mary

Daniel Harrison

pro member
wow, that crop was very interesting, looks like a watercolour and I think it was very creative of you(i like the effect). With the image you have I would probably not crop it, it would be nice to get more tree in , but that is not possible in post. You can only cut out, not add in ;-) so I say leave the sky as a major subject and leave it how it is, unless you are looking for something more artistic in which case you last crop was pretty cool.

Now it is your turn to find another tree so you can get a whole autumn tree in the picture :) although you did mention that there is hardly ever anyone at home next door.......... ;-)

Thanks
Daniel

Mary Bull

Daniel Harrison said:
wow, that crop was very interesting, looks like a watercolour and I think it was very creative of you(i like the effect). With the image you have I would probably not crop it, it would be nice to get more tree in , but that is not possible in post. You can only cut out, not add in ;-) so I say leave the sky as a major subject and leave it how it is, unless you are looking for something more artistic in which case you last crop was pretty cool.
Well, personally, I like it with the big sky in it, too. When I get my framed photo back, I'll try to make a shot to show you how the framing pulls the tree and sky together. At least, I think it will.
Now it is your turn to find another tree so you can get a whole autumn tree in the picture :) although you did mention that there is hardly ever anyone at home next door.......... ;-)
Two doors down. :(

I'm a lost dryad in search of a tree! LOL

Thanks for all the encouragement, Daniel.

Mary

Mary Bull

Will do, then. I'll append it to this thread.

It will probably be a couple of weeks--they had to order the three mats and the frame.

Mary

Mary Bull

Maple Trees, Full Height, in Two Nashville Front Yards

Two Nashville maple trees, photographed Sunday afternoon, October 29, 2006:

Red Maple

Red_Maple_CRW_3166-1.jpg

Atreet-side Maples

Maples_Street-side_CRW_3151-1.jpg

Hope whoever views them finds them enjoyable.

Mary

Mary Bull

Mary at Radnor Lake

Here are four photos taken at the Tennessee State Park which includes Radnor Lake. The first is a down-sized picutre of me, taken by my nephew against a background of woods in their fall colors. The other three are views which I shot with the Canon G2 and processed in LightZone.

Mary at Radnor Lake woods:

Mary_at_Radnor_Lake_LZ4_CRW_3109-1.jpg

Here's one of the first photos I took on our Saturday afternoon outing. My nephew was pushing his mother (my sister) in her wheel chair and I was wandering along behind them at my leisure.

Radnor Lake from the First Bridge

Radnor_Lake_from_1st_bridge_CRW_2950-2.jpg

Radnor Lake at the Bend

Radnor_Lake_At_Bend_CRW_3081-3.jpg

Radnor Lake Framed By Tree Trunks

Fifty_per_cent_Radnor_Lake_with_tree_snag_CRW_3034-1.jpg

I hope these pictures will at least be partly pleasing. The afternoon was a bit chilly in the shade of the woods, but we completely enjoyed our approximately three-mile walk around the western shore of the lake.

I would have posted the pics in somewhat larger size, but I am constrained by the requirements of my free account at Village Photo.

I can't decide whether to get a paid account at Flickr, Village Photo, or Pbase in order to have more leeway on file sizes. However, I'm going to subscribe to one data base pretty soon, as I feel I may actually have images worth showing in better clarity within a few weeks of my learning curve.

Mary

Asher Kelman

Hi Mary,

You are getting better. The first tree is interesting in that it shows the passage of time through its leaf loss. However, there's part of a house there. It is annoying to see this as an intrusion and we don't see the complete trunk of the tree.

The secret here is to have a single unifying "unit of concept". This means that there is one whole matter to consider.

So in this case here are the choices I see, (althought this isn't exhaustive of the possibilities for art) that can be transmitted easily to others.

1. The whole tree against a non-distracting background or one that adds harmony, contrast or framing.

2. Part of the tree only.

3. Include enough of the street and at least one house, so it is a composition of the street and the tree.

Unless one has experience, it is hard to compose with 3/4 of something and 1/8 of several other items in focus invading that picture.

So I'd try again. At least you have excellent subjects that you don't have to pay to sit for you!

Good start and much improved!

Asher

Last edited:

Mary Bull

The Wind Was Getting Up

The wind was beginning to shake the tree branches with very strong gusts by mid-afternoon, and waves of considerable size resulted on this large lake.

I couldn't resist the beautiful colors of these leaves against the water, although I couldn't figure out how to make a pleasing composition as I framed them in the camera--nor any better could I decide how best to deal with my photo in LightZone, where I cropped the image rather severely.

Leaves Falling on Lake Radnor

Forty_Per_Cent_Lake_Radnor_Leaves_LZ_downsized_CRW_3088-2.jpg

As always, I am pleased to have opinions and critiques of everything I show at OPF, including the eight photos I have included in my three posts to my fall colors thread, today.

Mary

Asher Kelman

Mary Bull said:
Here are four photos taken at the Tennessee State Park which includes Radnor Lake. The first is a down-sized picutre of me, taken by my nephew against a background of woods in their fall colors. The other three are views which I shot with the Canon G2 and processed in LightZone.

Mary at Radnor Lake woods:

Mary_at_Radnor_Lake_LZ4_CRW_3109-1.jpg

Radnor Lake from the First Bridge

Radnor_Lake_from_1st_bridge_CRW_2950-2.jpg

Mary

Well, greetings Mary, glad to meet you in person at last!

The first picture you took of Radnor lake is the best you have taken so far, (except perhaps your shadow of you shooting the girl going by with the knapsack on her back).

This is what I like.

1. The scene is beautiful and interesting.

2. It looks like a unity of concept, one subject, one scene, one subject matter, one focus of attention.

3. The is a wonderful array of colors, browns and yellos, gold and green and blue water. The reflections in the water add to this.

4. The composition is good. Our eyes are satisfactorily blocked to left and right so we are not missing more of the scene. There is an horizontal shadow in the water which nicely anchors the botton of the frame. The foregound foliage cuts into the picture and provides a reference to gauge the scale of distance and depth in the picture. The background is divided into assymetrical pleasing layers, creating interest as to what is in and between these features.

Problems:

1. Color it looks like you may have tweaked this too much or your monitor is not right. I suggest that you shoot one jpg as a reference with auto white balance, so you can have something to match to.

You really need a Whi-bal to make sure you have no unwanted color cast!

In fact I'm going to award you a WhiBal (courtesy of Michael Tapes). Include it in your next picture and click on it in your rasw developer with the eye dropper tool for grey balance.

PM me your address and I'll send you a card as an award for your great progrress and effort. Thanks Michael Tapes!

2. You may have increased the saturation a little too much.

Otherwise, I like the image very much and if you work further, you will have a nice print!

The other pictures, now, you can critique yourself by seeing what factors I have mentioned. Judge what does or does not have characteristics of the first.

Ignoring color, saturation and sharpening, if the first landscape scored a 7 out of 10 then the second would be 2 and the third would be 4 (merely to my apprecation and esthetics).

Keep going,

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Please everyone else add your own comments to the posts. I just give my opinion, however, that is all it is. When we have the reactions of others, then we learn a lot!

Asher

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Hi Mary,

you are getting better. The first tree is interesting in that it shows the passage of time through its leaf loss. However, there's part of a house there. It is annoying to see this as an intrusion and we don't see the complete trunk of the tree.
I knew you were not going to like that house. Couldn't safely back off enough to frame it out of the camera's eye, or to get the whole tree trunk. And couldn't bring myself to crop it out, thus limiting the amount of tree canopy in view.

Decided to put up the best of the frames I shot, just so you could see the colors and the interesting tree habit, revealed, as you noted, by its partial leaf loss.

The secret here is to have a sincle unifying "unit of concept". This means that there is one whole matter to consider.

So in this case here are the choices I see, althought this isnot exhaustive of the possibilities for art that can be transmitted easily to others.

1. The whole tree against a non distracting background or one that adds harmony, contrast or framing.
Not possible--no non-distracting background in this crowded urban environment.

2. Part of the tree only.
Part looks to me like, too little. As with the other shot of a red maple over the rooftops from my own back yard. I can't see how to make that work.
3. Include enough of the street and at least one house, so it is a composition of the street and the tree.
Might be doable. The parking lot is across the street. At a time of day when it's not too busy, I could safely stand there. I shall try it close to sunset this afternoon.
Unless one has experience, it is hard to compose with 3/4 of something and 1/8 of several other items in focus invading that picture.

So I'd try again. At least you have excellent subjects that you don't have to pay to sit for you!
I'll put what I get of the red maple up later today.

The yellow-leaved maples--so gorgeous in the setting sun, are an hour's walk away, and I can't really get both at sunset. And tomorrow--poor little trick-or-treaters--we have rain forecast for the witching hour.
Good start and much improved!
I really do think I am learning, thanks to all the time you and others here at OPF are taking with me.

Thanks a mil.

Mary

Asher Kelman

One way Mary, to get rid of the traffic for a still object is to lower the ISO to the lowest possible, even to 25 or 50, then set the shutter to 5-10 seconds and the occaisional passer by or car will not be recorded. You'll need a tripod and have to put the G2 camera on a time delay.

So all you are missing is the tripod.

Asher

Diane Fields

Mary, though I feel sure you can't drop your ISO down as low as Asher suggests on a G series, try his approach which will work very well for recording cars, etc. as little as possible. Since its digital--worth a try I say *smile*. I haven't worked with a G series for a good while (I had the original G1), but you could also try opening up your aperture as much as possible, shooting with as much zoom as possible to frame as you want---to get a more narrow DOF and 'blurring' the chaotic background somewhat. I'm not sure how much this will help with a subject at that distance (and you may be forced to shoot wider---which would make this comment pretty much moot) on a camera with a small sensor, but again---experimenting is worth it on a digital.

I'd also experiment with framing it in various ways starting with Asher's suggestion. Since you will probably need a tripod to do this--and go across the street, as I understand it--you might try early and later when there is less traffic, nice light---but would need the tripod to be able to handhold with a longer shutter time.

I like this last image of the lake--but agree that the colors are too saturated, IMO---and I'm excited for you that you will have a Whibal to work with. Surely makes a difference in white balance, but I also feel that perhaps it is too saturated from processing. Since I have not tried Lightzone (probably should and I could be more help and also just because I like to evaluate RAW processers), I'm unfamiliar with how its color controls work. Since you just got a new monitor, it should be amenable to calibrating, but since you don't have a calibration system (am I wrong about that), I'd suggest backing off saturation in your RAW converter. I saw this also in the photo of you (nice to 'meet' you though) so I'd try processing again working at a lower saturation.

Diane

Mary Bull

Asher Kelman said:
Well, greetings Mary, glad to meet you in person at last!
Even with the blown highlights on my face, huh?

I confess, as you probably have already observed, that I processed my nephew's photo a bit also, including cropping off woodland on either side.

All these images were taken with difficult light. The sun declining toward the southwest, the dense woodland casting deep shade even over the lake.

What the camera caught every time was much darker in the case of my own snapshot portrait, and in regard to the water in the shots I made, and much lighter, almost washed-out, in regard to the tree leaves, which caught the harsh sunlight.

However, my nephew had promised to go with his wife to a political rally at 5:00 p.m., Central Daylight Time. So we couldn't wait for me to have the sunset light. It's magical--throws violet shadows across the water.

Additionally, it really was getting very cold, and we were having trouble keeping my sister warm, on the shady path in the cold wind.

So I tried to invent, with my crude skills, what my eye remembered seeing, on a base of what the G2 handed me.

The first picture you too[k] of Radnor lake is the best you have taken so far, (except perhaps your shadow of you shooting the girl going by with the knapsack on her back).
I am glad to hear this. I do like the lake from this vantage point.

However, the light had washed out the foliage. And as you note, I did over-process it. Although I stayed off the sharpening tool, the saturation alone was enough to make the appearance un-natural.

It's all big lesson-learning, for me. "Every day's a schoolday."
This is what I like.

1. The scene is beautiful and interesting.

2. It looks like a unity of concept, one subject, one scene, one subject matter, one focus of attention.

3. The is a wonderful array of colors, browns and yellos, gold and green and blue water. The reflections in the water add to this.

4. The composition is good. Our eyes are satisfactorily blocked to left and right so we are not missing more of the scene. There is an horizontal shadow in the water which nicely anchorse the botton of the frame. The foregound foliage cuts into the picture and provides a reference to gauge the scale of distance and depth in the picture. The background is divided into assymetrical pleasing layers, creating interest as to what is in and between these features.
The colors, as noted above, are more muted on the cliffside than I made them, although not so muted to my eyes in my glasses, only to the camera's output to my computer screen.

And the water darker, so that it was my processing that brought the shadow and reflections in the water out. Although, novice that I still am, I can see that I overdid it considerably.
Problems:

1. Color it looks like you may have tweaked this too much or your monitor is not right. I suggest that you shoot one jpg as a reference with auto white balance so you can have something to match to.
Yes, overtweaking is the culprit. In every case, I warmed the temperature with the white balance tool, trying to find the colors I knew were there in the soft focus and pale tones the original, untweaked image showed me.
You really need a Whi-bal to make sure you have no unwanted color cast!
The color cast is one I put there myself, with the LightZone white balance tool, which offers not only temperature warming but tint adjustment.
In fact I'm going to award you a WhiBal (courtesy of Michael Tapes). Include it in your next picture and click on it in your rasw developer with the eye dropper tool for grey balance.
Thanks, Asher. I haven't figured out how to do that eye-dropper thing.

It's the reason I'm running LightZone v. 1.62 and not the beta 2.0. I'm doing everything with sliders--except what little I manage with the Regions tools in Lightzone.

The picture of Lake Radnor from the bend in the path had the sky completely blown out above the hills, as well as all the foliage pale in shades of yellow.

I dealt with the foliage colors as described above. For the sky, I defined a region and warmed it up to that greenish-blue (the best blue I could get, although still unsatisfactory) in the LightZone hue-saturation-luminosity tool.

Bottom line, the light was just not right for the camera lens, for what I wanted to achieve.

We may have one more good weekend next Saturday, and Scott has promised to take us out again. I'll try to persuade him to leave me out there until sunset--maybe he and Wanda can go get a hamburger and come back for me about dusk. < she said smiling >

Right now, I'd rather shoot pictures than eat!!

PM me your address and I'll send you a card as an award for your great progrress and effort. Thanks Michael Tapes!
Will do. Many thanks to you both.
2. You may have increased the saturation a little too much.
Most definitely.

I haven't printed any of these yet. Well, I did print the one of myself and the one I took of my nephew and my sister together, and took those over to my sister.

I think I'll PM that jpeg to you. It came out from the camera as if it had been shot at night! I wasn't using flash. I had the same settings as the ones where I had just photographed the lake from the bridge. But my nephew and sister are dim and the surrounding background is black, with the "handicapped" and "parking" signs, in blue and red lettering respectively, blazng out like white stars on a moonless night. Amazing.
Otherwise, I like the image very much and if you work further, you will have a nice print!
Would you like to play with it yourself? I can attach the RAW files, or else the DNG, in a private e-mail to you, if you would like them. Or else, I could upload them to yousendit.
The other pictures now you can critique yourself by seeing what factors I have mentioned do or don't have characteristics of the first.

Ignoring color, saturation and sharpening, if the first landscape scored a 7 out of 10 then the second would be 2 and the third would be 4 (merely to my apprecation and esthetics).

Keep going,
Thanks a mil for your time and for your welcome comments, Asher.

I shot 300 frames on Saturday--14 of them the new mushrooms that have made their appearance in the place where the lawnmower got the first ones.

The other 286 I shot at the lake. Woodland views. A tall cottonwood, bare of leaves, that reminded me of the birch you wanted someone to show you. Macros of berries and tiny asters and a large oak gall. And dozens and dozens of shots of Lake Radnor itself.

I got the departing back of a small boy going downhill on a bicycle. Totally anonymous and unrecognizable from the back, but of course I can't use it. Took it on account of your "boy with a bike." My boy's bike was red.

Mary

Mary Bull

Hi, Diane,
See all my explanations in my long reply post to Asher above.

I am tempted to put up the unprocessed images of these pics, only downsizing them about 60 per cent, to meet the requirements of my free account at Village Photo. Then you would see that everything in re saturation and white bal that you and Asher are commenting on, I deliberately did my own self, using the tools of LightZone. Wasn't the camera or the RAW processing at all.

Thanks for all your comments. I think I can't set those settings in the G2--I still have too much trouble with the menus.

And traffic in the photo wasn't what I was worried about. It was one of those wild-driving students running my poor old bod down that concerned--and still concerns--me. < she said with a smile >

Mary

Bev Sampson

Mary, a good place to photograph fall color for trees is a golf course. If there is one near you and it is open to the public, it is ideal. Most golf courses have single trees scattered about and offer a good backbround, ie minus houses, parked cars, wires. I began thinking of this as ideal but unfortunately it is too late for me in MI. I did get some photos that I am happy with earlier in October at Cranbrook in MI. Next year I will be heading to the Salt River Golf Course just a mile or so away. I love the way one can select a single tree and compose a photo without a lot of background clutter or better still with a more natural looking background.

Bev

Last edited:

Mary Bull

Bev, what a wonderful idea!

Unfortunately for me, there's not a golf course closer than 10 miles, and the route to it is one of our busiest freeways. I simply do not drive the freeways. I know the limitations of my eyes and my driving skills, and I am always aware in the background of my mind, whatever I'm doing, that in 7 months I will have lived 80 years in this old world. Bound not to be as sharp as I was at say, 30.

The gray clouds rolled in, so I didn't get the pretty sunset light on my trees among the telephone wires and house gables. Shot a few anyway, around 4:30 p.m. Some of the yellow branches looked very nice against the soft gray sky. But who knows what the camera made of them!

Anything that I can't resist sharing here I shall put up as is, except for downsizing. But it's been fun playing with those Radnor Lake shots and seeing what an image editor will let you do, if only you have the eye and the skills.

And, don't worry, Bev--winter is coming, and I bet you could photograph some great winter trees on a golf course, also.

Mary

Bev Sampson

"""whatever I'm doing, that in 7 months I will have lived 80 years in this old world"""

Wonderful, Mary. I just passed 70. Sure wish digital existed when I was young. The youth have so many new innovations to use and to anticipate for the future.

""" And, don't worry, Bev--winter is coming, and I bet you could photograph some great winter trees on a golf course, also."""

Great idea, Mary, but we are leaving for FL Nov 17th. We pack up our fifthwheel and our four cats and head south to capture the birds. I hope there is a better bird representation at Sannibel this year than last.

I love being retired and thus having the time to devote to my lifelong hobby. However, the restrictions that come with being older are that I cannot keep up with the guys in my photo club anymore. Carrying the heavy equipment from site to site is exhausting and flares the asthma but I do it anyway pausing only to use my inhaler. If I get down on my tummy to photograph the ground level birds, I can't get up again. lol

But, what a great idea to photograph those golf course trees with ice and snow. Maybe someone else on this forum will do exactly that and post the images.

Bev