• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Would you?

Jerome Marot

Several thousands are injured or even die each year for social media: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_selfie-related_injuries_and_deaths

This is a direct consequence of social media being designed like jig work, but without any regulation as to work safety or insurance. Social media appears to be a passtime where people simply share with their friends, but it is not true. It is simply not possible to have any semblance on success on social media without making posting pictures or videos a full-time job and, indeed, all of the so-called "influencers" get the vast majority of their income from their social media presence. The system is designed from the ground up so that the basis users wants to imitate the "influencers", effectively setting him or herself up for a binding contract to work for free.

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Putting the simpletons aside for a moment, My curiosity was aroused by the photographer (I call him that only because he has told us so) who was willing to step over the legal line to capture The Shot.

Evolution will take care of the moron who places themself at risk by hanging over a cliff or placing their children in a precarious position just for FB and Instagram.

But who of you have stepped over a barrier or fence? Perhaps the sneak shot in a photo free zone? A building on the No Go list.

Then there is the moral line in the sand. Interfering with a private moment. A humiliating moment. Shifting parameters to establish a point. Fudging.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Les barrières, les frontières, les lignes de démarcation sont faites par être franchies par ceux qui en ont le courage et le devoir…
Cette nécessité va bien au-delà de ces pauvres soit-disants réseaux sociaux comme Instagram (dont je n'alimente plus mon propre compte).
C'est un des rôles des artistes !
Fb et Instagram ? On peut retourner l'outil de Mark Zuckerberg et s'en servir comme medium de faire savoir…

Last edited:

Tom dinning

Registrant*
The article speaks about cliffs. Generally speaking, I usually comply with reasonable demands of not foolishly risking my life. Now you ask a quite different question.
I’m extrapolating, Jerome, as usual.
The difference between stepping near a cliff and stepping over a legal barrier might only be the level of risk a person is willing to take.
The article certainly emphasises the risk gravity imposes and we will have varying degrees of daring-do in that regard. I’m with you. Firmly died to a tree some distance from the edge.

But surely we have all stretched our tolerance or the tolerance of other factors to get a shot.
I find myself debating with my inner hero to take a shot in a doctors waiting room, or a child’s playground, a private gallery, a police station, over a fence, through a keyhole, of dead people, crime scenes, embarrassing moments, my mother in law.

The consequences only differ in their apparent and predicable severity.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
AH, time. The purveyor of all things.
Given enough time anything is likely; even the improbable.
Monkeys writing books, time travel, reincarnation, the likes of Trump for president..
The safety police ar possibly wasting their time.
Time will demolish all of us. Some sooner than later.
For the sake of brevity I would encourage those to pursue their fate with due haste.
I’m content not to clean up after them.

Jerome Marot

I’m extrapolating, Jerome, as usual.
The difference between stepping near a cliff and stepping over a legal barrier might only be the level of risk a person is willing to take.

I think it also has to do about how reasonable the demand appears to be. That is an important aspect especially for us photographers as arbitrary prohibitions on taking photographs seem to appear out of nowhere... as soon as one uses a camera larger than a cell phone.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have several times almost ended my life, not for trying to get an Instagram, just by so intently framing a shot while on a ledge, and forgetting that I can’t move my tripod 6” further away... into the open air!

This happened while shooting architecture of The Disney Concert Hall, when I had a mesmerizing view of wavy reflections on polished stainless steel mirror surfaces. The clouds in the sky and their reflection in the steel got me totally disorientated, (like a pilot not using his instruments in a steep turn through mist)!

It was only by the greatest spring backwards of my life, (and fortune of a myriad of angels), that I was able to save myself from a drop of 40 ft to the concrete below!

I don’t think anyone wants to die taking a selfie. It’s just that we are delusional about our ability to handle edges!

Asher

Jerome Marot

This thread started with cliffs. This is a picture of a cliff I took today.

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I love it!

The cliffs are grand and the row of “teeth rocks” on the lower right are bitingly fabulous!

A question about water. Do you like foam in the picture. There’s a fashion for a milky look in streams and waterfalls.

I have often thought of shooting waterfalls both with high soled flash and with a slow shutter and then combining to get a combination of effects.

Here it looks “just right”, but how would it be enlarged. Is there detail in the water in dynamic range as well?

Are these waves in sharp focus or have you worked for a blur or these are just as they happen to be?

Asher

Jerome Marot

This is a rather simple capture, the waves look like white foam when examined close. I could probably find some details using the raw file, but waves normally look white to the human eye, so I am not sure highlight recovery would improve things.

I am not a great fan of the milky look. It can have its uses, but often simply look unnatural to my eyes. It also requires a tripod, which is not something I carry often with me.

Asher Kelman

This is a rather simple capture, the waves look like white foam when examined close. I could probably find some details using the raw file, but waves normally look white to the human eye, so I am not sure highlight recovery would improve things.

Thanks, Jerome!

As I said, your picture is what I love: a great vista, interesting rocks with biting detail and engaging even when I return!

It’s unique! There is a rich goldmine of texture, form, color and fascination in the rock face itself. This would be an ideal file to test out Topaz Gigapixel AI? What do you think?

Did you get adjacent shots? Is it as impressive to the left?

....and where was this?

I am not a great fan of the milky look. It can have its uses, but often simply look unnatural to my eyes. It also requires a tripod, which is not something I carry often with me.

I too, am not a fan of “milky”. Frankly, as a shock gimmick it works. But I haven’t yet seen a composition where it really added to the experience.

But it has an interesting potential, to me at least, to create a strong white “calligraphical” gesture in an abstract work.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I don't have that software. Besides the file already has enough resolution for my needs.

This is the coast south west of Portugal near Vila do Bispo. To the left it looks like this:

This is fabulous, Jérôme! Found it on the map!

I have several questions!

1. When were you there?

2. Can the pictures be stitched or is the projection too different?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well this scene is totally exceptional. Great sweeping curve to the left and superb variety of structure and colors in the rock face.

Also, the new large rock in the left foreground gives us balancing interest.

I look in vain for such wide detail-rich scenes as they can be printed large and hold interest. Also this is tranquil and allows one to relax and travel away from
pressing and disturbing thoughts.

No politics!

Nothing embarrassing, testy or controversial.

Perfect for a major hotel, conference room with walls or a large home!

Sky can be enhanced with clouds or not!

This is gallery-worth.

Kudos!

Asher

Asher Kelman

See message #13 above...

These two won't work, as I zoomed out...

That makes no difference at all if you your vantage point was nearly fixed. Even if you moved somewhat, Autopano Giga can take care of that too, with you specifying multiple vantage points.

I’d love to do it for you if you don’t have the program. (The additional incentive is the arrival of Topaz Labs Gigapixel AI for enlarging. This maintains all the detail.)

As long as there is not an important fence post, statue or key person close to you, stitching should work, as parallax is not an issue then.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

A question about water. Do you like foam in the picture. There’s a fashion for a milky look in streams and waterfalls.

I personally do not like a picture of a waterfall to show a milkfall.

Mais, a chacun son égout.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Well, Tom,

Yours makes sense, this time! I fact I like it a lot!

......But do t make a habit of it!

We can’t fiddle with this much with Mother Nature! It might catch on and then people would disappear from our pictures, LOL!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Well, Tom,

Yours makes sense, this time! I fact I like it a lot!

......But do t make a habit of it!

We can’t fiddle with this much with Mother Nature! It might catch on and then people would disappear from our pictures, LOL!

Asher

Oh, come now. You can’t mean what you say.
“... can’t fiddle .... with [mother] nature.”?
What have we been doing all these years?

We do, for better or for worse, what nature fails or dares not do.