• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Zeiss Batis 18mm - first images

Antonio Correia

I bought the Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8.
I went for a small walk and made some shots. The light was harsh. I am not particularly impressed... or perhaps I was expecting to be as much impressed as when I got the 24 GM
Anyway, in this brief hour I missed the aperture ring...
More photographs to come.
Thank you for watching ! :)

i-MNn5P3B-X4.jpg

i-ZWmSgsJ-X4.jpg

Antonio Correia

Oh no, Asher !
I hope I will be able with this lens, to do something better than this and soon.
This lens didn't give me the wow factor the 24GM did from the same shot.
We can see that the lightings conditions are very different...

i-LrqTWnZ-X4.jpg

Sony A7 III + Sony 24 GM​

Last edited:

Antonio Correia

This morning, the light is a bit harsh but I had to exercise the finger.
With a couple of adjustments in LR I got this.
Sony A7III + Zeiss Batis 18mm
i-k63WNpL-X4.jpg

Jerome Marot

I do not have the Zeiss Batis, but I have the 24 f/1.4 "GM". I also have the 24-70 and 16-35 as "GM" lenses and some "Zeiss" lenses for the A-mount. I have also used Minolta lenses for over 30 years.

IMO, the Zeiss branded lenses have a particular rendering. The shades, in particular, are rendered in cooler tones than with other brands.

The "GM" lenses appear to have a rendering more similar to what Minolta tried to achieve in their times. The 24mm is spectacular, but the 16-35 zoom is quite similar.

Antonio Correia

Thank you Jerome for your lines.
I knew that the Batis was cooler but that is not an issue, of course.
I find the 24GM to be superb. I do, do like it ! In every aspects.
Some time ago I hold the 24-70GM and found it to be very, very heavy. regarding the 16-35 yes, it is similar but I now go only to primes.
I read about the 35GM which is supposed to be as good as the 24 or even better.
Soon I will go to another beach around here and get some shot with the Batis and perhaps, with also the 24GM

Cheers Jerome ! :)