• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Are we Lords of Creation or simply deluded?

AFA killing without compunction - I do not know how animals think, I have no basis for thinking that they kill a la Mafia "It's just business" style. I have seen what I regard as caring or tenderness in animals - most recently with a moose mother and her tiny calf, as well as with swans with cygnets, earlier this year. There is a saying, "Don't anthropomorphize animals, they hate that."

AFA self-delusion, maybe so. As advertisements continue to stretch reasons why I 'need' something (everything?), I wonder if Star Trek's Ferengi are real, and I am a story character. It seems that their Rules of Acquisition surround our daily lives - as if I should feel guilty for not having car payments. But, it may be moot, per Calvin & Hobbes: “Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”

Cheers

Nill Toulme

My cats arent' interested in money either. Maybe if they thought I was trying to read it they would lie down on it. ;-)

I meant rather that cats, in my experience, seem to kill because that's their nature, not necessarily, or even usually, "to survive and protect themselves." Maybe people, in their deluded way, do it for the same reason. Or alternatively, when people kill for money (or all the other myriad reasons they seem to find), perhaps they are nevertheless doing it, after a fashion, "to survive and protect themselves."

Nill

doug anderson

My cats arent' interested in money either. Maybe if they thought I was trying to read it they would lie down on it. ;-)

I meant rather that cats, in my experience, seem to kill because that's their nature, not necessarily, or even usually, "to survive and protect themselves." Maybe people, in their deluded way, do it for the same reason. Or alternatively, when people kill for money (or all the other myriad reasons they seem to find), perhaps they are nevertheless doing it, after a fashion, "to survive and protect themselves."

Nill

My cat's too lazy to kill anything. Here's Jeter in a rare moment of wakefulness.

I had a cat once that used to bring birds into my bed in the morning and pop their little skulls. She would have dismembered them and eaten them if I'd let her.

Do you mean the way cats play with what they catch? I think they're practicing.
358958483_dNHsv-L.jpg

Nill Toulme

Hmmm, isn't there a corollary to Godwin's Law that holds that once a photo forum thread has degenerated to cat pix, the thread is done? ;-)

Nill

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My cat's too lazy to kill anything. Here's Jeter in a rare moment of wakefulness.

I had a cat once that used to bring birds into my bed in the morning and pop their little skulls. She would have dismembered them and eaten them if I'd let her.

Do you mean the way cats play with what they catch? I think they're practicing.
358958483_dNHsv-L.jpg

I like this picture. Don't tell me (s)he's not thinking, "Doug?" Now he's really deluded! He thinks he owns me! How human!"

Asher

doug anderson

I like this picture. Don't tell me (s)he's not thinking, "Doug?" Now he's really deluded! He thinks he owns me! How human!"

Asher

ha ha ha ha ha

good, Asher

His internal monologue is something like this: "Is this idiot going to hit me with that flash thing again? Ah, no, good. Anything but that."