• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Autumn at Königssee

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
A few days ago I had this view.

Best regards,
Michael

This is a dream place, Michael!

I adore the fluffy clouds that seem just right to go over the mountain, the scale of which is only realized by noticing the tiny houses at its base on the right lower edge of the frame. Any chance that you can add more of these houses from an adjacent or related frame?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,

I have a few panoramas to stitch - could take a while, but I will post when I have something.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher,

I was a bit sloppy when taking the pictures for the pano - hurrying back to catch the boat.
Here is a different pano to grasp the sense of scale - the two leftmost houses are also seen in the picture posted first in this thread. The mountains are approx. 1500m (4500ft) above lake level.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

A foggy day on the lake - not very much to see...

Michael,

I like the calming emptiness. There's just enough detail in the water's surface to get our attention, but then we're on our own, with little guide for where our eyes should wander. Paradoxically there could be opportunity here! Your blue waters might provide another kind of artistic experience, where circumstances have to be added by each person, on their own.

So this could be an interesting meditative picture. Here, I believe, size matters! This could only work 1 meter high or larger, but would set a mood for self exploration and musing.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Higher up there was already some snow - and the moon.

Michael,

When one sees a moon like that, anyone who appreciates classic photography has his/her attention piqued. Look here, where the moon is on a huge black sky with mountain detail abstracted and a landscape that is in the middle of the grayscale, (and rather uninteresting, I must admit).

I like your entirely different view here. You show a larger moon in a brighter smaller sky. It's as if your moon is looming up, ready to roll down the expert ski slope!

Your snow-covered mountains are captured in more detail, dressed with repeat lines and layers of dark trees. I like that you have brought us in much closer to the mountains, a more intimate view of the moon over the snowy landscape.

This picture will be a very great challenge to print, as the tonalities at each end will be demanding to hold detail. However, you will get rewards by the spadeful! I'd love to hear when it actually gets to a print.

Asher

Chris Calohan

It must be terrible to be forced to live in such a place. As a humanitarian, tell your captors I am willing to take your place for at least one year.

Michael Nagel

Asher,

Thanks - the blue ine would indeed make a large print.
For the b/w I have to try a print.

Jerome,

Thanks. Yes, it is simple, but simple things are beautiful.

Chris,

You can travel to Bavaria whenever you want. There is a lot more to see...

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Asher - Thanks. The mood was different that day, but there was no feel of looming dangers.

Jerome - Thanks. The mushrooms picture is actually my favourite if these three.

Best regards,
Michael

Michael Nagel

Wimbachtal und Wimbachklamm

The next valley in parallel to Königssee is very different and offers many views.
First you have to pass through a gorge - it is short but worth it.

Higher up there is a broader, different view:

Next to the path we followed there was an interesting detail (for those with some imagination):

Best regards,
Michael

Jarmo Juntunen

Michael, I can't see your latest picture.

This is a wonderful series. Living close to such a scenery is real gift, as is your photographic vision.

Michael Nagel

Jarmo,

Thanks. Please try and reload - it seems that some have issues with https (used for the picture).

Best regards,
Michael

Paul Abbott

Some great images here, Michael. Your representation of showing scale in some of the scenes are immediately apparent, good stuff.