• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Checking “Insert Picture Function”: Oops! There’s a girl in my rug!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was taken back as it really seemed like there was a girl exhibited in a rug!

But it’s just a fun picture.

Asher

Asher Kelman

The picture should just be there!

Let me know how it’s appearing now?
This image is loaded via the “Attach files” button.

Asher

Asher Kelman

To me, both the initial image (loaded from the Media option in the icon bar) and the second attempt, (loaded via the large gold “Attach Files” button below this dialog box), look identical and full size with no icons to click on!

Is that how everyone else is seeing these two copies of the image?

?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Do you see a second picture or a second icon?

I guess I have to continue to correct “permissions” in all the sections of the forum!

Back to work. Meanwhile I will try to move this thread out of Taliban-controlled territory!

Asher

Asher Kelman

The main issue then I that I have to plough through each heading in the different categories and liberalize all the constrained “from the factory” permissions!

Asher

Jim Galli

OK, I see the attach files in the reply heading, but if I try to post a new thread I didn't see it.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

The main issue then I that I have to plough through each heading in the different categories and liberalize all the constrained “from the factory” permissions!

Asher

Just a suggestion. Do you make good use of the Forum provided by the Xenforo community, to ask these questions and get ideas about how to best make changes or settings? If not, I can assure you that it is invaluable.

When I used to have my ProPhotoForum back in 2005-2006 - I received help for any issue I had by just putting a post on the forum software’s board (it wasn’t Xenforo, but imagine that it has the same support). That is where the knowledge base is and time and energy aren’t waisted trying to figure things out yourself or going about it a wrong.

But as I said - just a suggestion ;)

——

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Thanks Robert!

I had already gotten the expert advice and just needed to update forum permissions, one by one, each separately.

Here are the fora in blue that are set up correctly for everyone:

Anything is blue is good to use and should have correct permissions.

Use these and meanwhile I will work on the rest ASAP and then combine categories where appropriate.

Thanks for your patience.

I do use the community forum but have also hired two XenForo experts.

I still have to do the laborious work myself of setting permissions.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I had already gotten the expert advice and just needed to update forum permissions, one by one, each separately.

Here are the fora in blue that are set up correctly for everyone:

Anything is blue is good to use and should have correct permissions.

Thanks for the informative chart. It of course appears in a very large size, but I guess this is itself part of the complications of this area. I have made it smaller here.

Use these and meanwhile I will work on the rest ASAP and then combine categories where appropriate.

Thanks for your patience.

I do use the community forum but have also hired two XenForo experts.

I still have to do the laborious work myself of setting permissions.

Thank you for staying with this.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Please recheck for any faults remaining in this thread.

I have cut the number of forum headings by combining a lot of similar sections.

Asher

Robert Watcher

It’s curious why you have allowed integrated file uploading in several (blue) sections where there are more likely to be textual discussions (like camera content, introductions, etc) —— and not in the main Photographic Discussions Category where images and stories around them are likely to be entered and viewed. I would have presumed it would have been the other way around, if you are after posting of photographs for content. Maybe even starting with the 4 or 5 categories that are most popular (1,000 plus threads). I doubt that there are many who are primarily interested in Galleries or storing all their images on your server - or even selling images. Most just want to have a place to post a picture that they have taken, here and there - so others can view it/them —- in my way of looking at it anyway.

———-

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Robert,

Thanks for the smart enquiry. Yes, pictures are needed in threads that discuss them, of course.

I am just working from the top downwards for the past 8 hours and have based the permissions on sets of inheritance via “class of membership”.

I have shown the corrected popular threads that happen to be closer to the top of the list.

The gallery is not switched on. It’s just paid for and for activation and discussion later. Slavic is set to guide me on that but I have to specify needs.

I have corrected permissions for administrators, moderators and registered members banned and folk not yet approved etc.

These have then been inserted by “inheritance”, (so far), to only the headings in blue.

But I am only 25% done.

Ultimately any “Registered” member will have equal access to ALL the rest of the forums in the same way and to the same extent.

It just is tedious the way XF set it up and the way I am updating privileges is l, I am assured by Russ & Slavic, (an established moderator of XF Community Forum), as being the most efficient, given the XF rather restricted starting default settings.

In vBulletin, one could simply feed one set of permissions everywhere. Here it’s one at a time, for each class of membership to each separate forum heading.

That encouraged me to collapse so many unneeded headings!

But I still have to return to the list and update the rest of the permissions, so they all will be blue.

Pictures are just one of the many many options that I am allowing.

I will get it all done shortly. Just bear with me!

Then I will look for any other requests individuals have.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Asher, apparently you don't see the pictures in the same way that normal users do. I presume this is because you are logged in as an administrator. Why don't you create a dummy user account for you to see the forum as a normal user?

Asher Kelman

Update on forum permissions: All permissions have been upgraded in all fora to allow the widest possible choices for OPFrs.

Please let me know of any snags or faults.

Thanks for your steadfast support!

I will be rereading related threads for any suggestions or needs not addressed but don’t hesitate to remind me.

Of course HTTPS is in my mind now that permissions are corrected.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Have collapsed redundant but related fora and a few more to go.

Prefixes and Keywords ? ?

1. I want to move more towards adding a prefix to better define & focus relevance.

2. Need also to find “key word” capabilities. All to further simplify the user experience.

Asher