• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Death Valley - Cloudy Evening

TJ Avery

Taken about a mile or so northwest of the Harmony Borax Works. February 2008.

The afternoon had been very cloudy with light rain. Shortly before sunset, some light and color showed up looking north and transformed a nearly monochromatic scene into this:

dv08_5980-81.jpg

TJ,

I am surprised that no one has commented on this compelling photograph. And I haven't seen your work before, please post more.

I keep coming back to ithis one and thinking about how it might be rendered in a more dramatic way. Not flambouyant but with more detail and contrast in the foreground. I don't know what the raw image looked like, but I would be thinking about opening the shadowed areas, particularly on the left, a doing a bit of dodging on the near foreground, with a little midtone contrast bump.

Best,

-Nat

TJ Avery

Hi Nat, thanks for your comments. This image is a composite of two different exposures. If I recall correctly, a lot of the left foreground comes from the darker exposure. I was attempting to place emphasis on the pool of water and the color reflected there. But I see your point and will have to give it a try. Thanks!