• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Does it pay to tell people their work is mediocre?

jim hughes

sunset

Well Ray, if you told me you'd seen 15,000 stunning sunsets but you nevertheless liked mine, I'd be pleased. Conversely if you told me that what I've done has already been done, better, about 15.000 times, I'd appreciate that too.

It's true that in a setting like PhotoSig, you can't really associate the comments with a real person. Well you can to some extent, by looking at the photos that person has posted. I think it would be fun to get a photo displayed in some public place, then hang aruond (anonymously) and listen to people's reactions.

But getting honest, straight-up feedback from a photographer of real accomplishment would be a great thing. And think about published reviews of restaurants, or plays. The good reviews are boring. But a bad - really bad - review is often hilarious. Being artfully ripped up is so much more interesting than getting a polite pat on the back.

jim hughes

Asher, you are correct, just posting a photo with no context probably won't generate the most interesting feedback. On a site like Photosig, if a photo is boring, it gets no feedback at all. Which I guess speaks for itself.