• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Everyone Chopped in!

fahim mohammed

My share was 50%
My wife gave 25%
My son parted with 25%

My wife wants a refund.
My son wants to take it next week far far away!! To test it, he says.

p1263936766.jpg

p1263936770.jpg

p1263936788.jpg

No refunds were allowed!!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My share was 50%
My wife gave 25%
My son parted with 25%

My wife wants a refund.
My son wants to take it next week far far away!! To test it, he says.

p1263936766.jpg

p1263936770.jpg

p1263936788.jpg

No refunds were allowed!!

You'll enjoy this so much, Fahim. I think that this is going to be revolutionary in that at 6400 ISO it's almost as clean as the 5F Mark III at 1600! So this is perfect for the intimate portraits you like so much, but you will not have to worry about exposure! What lenses have you obtained?

I'd love one, just for the shear practicality of a lightweight, discrete high performance system and one which will take you existing Leica Lenses with an adapter!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Asher, thank you.

We got it last night. I have not had a try out yet. People have been busy packing today.
One is leaving this evening. Another one tomorrow. The third next week!!
All heading off to the States and Canada.

I shall be alone, with the youngest son. He is forcing me to go too!!

Anyway, I just got the 35mm f/1.4 ( FOV = 50mm ) Fujinon R lens.
With that and my 28/75mm lenses I shall be able to cover all the FLs that are of interest to me;
Between the Fuji and the Leica.

Just might ask one of the family to pick up the Fujinon 60mm Macro.

My first impressions are..wow, it weighs almost nothing with the lens and battery attached!!
Just what I needed.

Best regards.

Jerome Marot

You'll enjoy this so much, Fahim. I think that this is going to be revolutionary in that at 6400 ISO it's almost as clean as the 5F Mark III at 1600!

I seriously doubt that. This is not a criticism of the camera, but in this time of vain marketing agitation about high sensitivities, people tend to forget that today's and yesterday's sensors are quite close to the physical limits of photons counting. Most of the noise that plague low-light photography comes from the discrete nature of the light, not from an alleged poor implementation of the sensor.

Hence, most of the magic in recent cameras comes from signal reconstruction. One gets about the same results with yesterday's cameras as with today's cameras once one processes the old images with modern software.

In this context a full frame sensor gets a boost from the unavoidable fact that it collects over twice the light as an APS-C sensor. It is over twice as big.

Asher Kelman

I meant the Canon 5D MarkII not III.[/I] :). my typos!

In this context a full frame sensor gets a boost from the unavoidable fact that it collects over twice the light as an APS-C sensor. It is over twice as big.

Jerome,

Of course, we can't beat physics, but there's a long way to go in software smarts! Fahim's Fuji XE-1, (and it's big brother, the Pro X1,) with the unique non-Bayer APS C sensor seems to beat out the APS C sensor-Canon 7D by a large margin.

Fuji X01_ Face 2.jpg

It also and fairs well against the full frame 5D II and III, considering it's 1/2 the light gathering size. Still, I do wonder how the dynamic range and color is at this hight ISO level?

Fuji X01_Watchface.jpg

Fuji X01_Face.jpg

Fuji X01_.jpg

© dpreview: Copied from Standard Image Tests

The top Left, in Each Set is the Fuji X Pro 1,
identical to the XE-1, minus optical viewfinder.

With Permission & "Fair Use" for editorial purposes

Certainly the test pictures on Dpreview.com look awfully good! Can't wait until Fahim runs some tests and shares them with us!!

Asher

Jerome Marot

You should not believe that "raw" files from recent cameras don't use noise reduction. Part of the noise reduction may even take place on the sensor itself, BTW, so that the chip is incapable of outputting anything more "raw" that what you get.

Besides, there is also the issue of the particular demosaicing algorithm necessary for the Fuji sensor. The amount of detail visible with external raw conversion at base iso is lower than on equivalent Bayer arrays, which in turn means that the algorithm chosen by Adobe in the above case has the effect of averaging signal over a larger area, which should also lower noise.

Asher Kelman

You should not believe that "raw" files from recent cameras don't use noise reduction. Part of the noise reduction may even take place on the sensor itself, BTW, so that the chip is incapable of outputting anything more "raw" that what you get.

For sure, but it's still interesting to look at the output. The Fuji certainly looks much cleaner. Now the use of the software like SNS-HDR or the latest Capture One 7 could equalize the apparent differences evident with just using Adobe Camera Raw for everything on DPreview.

Now can you turn your attention to the portrait test picture. Althoug the Fuji is perhaps the cleanest, looking at the eyes, specifically the irises, I have the impression the the color may not be as rich. What do you think? How could we measure that?

Asher

Jerome Marot

How could we measure that?

I don't understand what you would like to measure. If we want to measure something, anything, we need a precise definition of it.

And, quite frankly, I don't really see the interest. The particular tests published on photo sites have lost interest some time ago, simply because manufacturers have learned to work around them. You can peep at that image to your content, choose the best camera on the pixel level and, once in the field, find out that on slightly different images everything turns to mush. In my experience, a common subject where noise reduction fails is grass.

If you want to use web reviews, I suggest imaging-ressource. There is a spread of fabrics in different colors on the top left of their pictures which is good for seeing the effects of noise reduction.

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the reference to imaging-Resource.

My best source will come from practical experience of photographers who find out what a camera is good for and where are the limits. So Fahim's findings will be helpful. My feeling is that someone who knows Imatest might be able to translate from what the eyes look like in the preview test so something one can measure objectively. My impression is that although the Fuji images are cleaner, the eyes have less sparkle in the irises.

Asher

fahim mohammed

It is dusty outside.

Just getting to play with the controls of the cam.
My exposure is off. Need a bit more time to sort it out.

Exif is intact:

Just a bit of curve: 100% crop.

p1266699866-5.jpg

Same as above with just a bit of sharpening.

p1266699924-5.jpg

Both with the 35/1.4 in Macro mode. My hands shake a lot!!

fahim mohammed

Trying out the Zeiss zm 50/1.5 sonnar at 1.5?.
Got to read the manual. The in-focus areas seem that it might be f2/f2.8.
I don't know.

p1266723616-5.jpg

Step back a little..

p1266755806-5.jpg

Too many options. Quite straight forward. Not like the Playstation!! But not as simple as you know what.

There is no focus peaking. Close-up and macro with zoomed in focussing, I need to use support.
The manual is printed to be tiresome for the eyes and my brain. Shall play it by the eyes!!

With the zeiss sonnar 50mm, the cam becomes ever so slightly top heavy towards the lens glass; as compared to the Fuji 35mm. Not bothersome, but noticeable.

These pics are just fiddling with the cam. Shall read the manual someday, put up a tripod, and do some
controlled tests. Not now..I am having too much fun!

fahim mohammed

I'd be interested to read how this camera behaves with the Voigtlaender 35mm Nokton.

Hi George.

I do not have the VC Nokton 35 ( any variety ); but I do have the screw-mount Nokton 50/1.5. I could put that up a test.

I have the Leica-M cron 35mm asph. I shall put it up shortly. But I am told that the Fuji 35mm is almost on par with the Leica lux 35mm asph ( not the FLE ). Unfortunately, I cannot mount that on the Fuji-M
adapter.

Neither can I mount the cron 75mm APO. That is very disappointing for me.

fahim mohammed

I am trying to get a handle on the exposure of this puppy and initial DR tests.

One side is sunlight thru a curtain net. The other side is overhead warm spotlights.

I am just using the default DR. For exposure I am using ' average ' ( I think that's what they call it..matrix
for me..) I am varying the WB to test each one out.

Nothing recorded..just getting to know my way around.
The EVF is very good. But I am new to EVFs, so cannot really compare.

The controls are well laid out. Intuitive, almost. Good solid clicks.
The on-off switch, though, is a bit loose. I have accidently turned it on/off unintentionally.

p1267125076.jpg

I intend to store some custom settings; then it shall be very simple. No more fiddling for me.

fahim mohammed

I might have been a little hasty when I mentioned that the cron 75mm APO could not bemused...
I might have been wrong. I just used it. No damage so far as I know.

The Fuji site gives a list of lenses that are compatible as of may 2012. The 75 is not mentioned there.
Moreover, Fuji includes a gauge with the M adapter to check the diameters of lenses that can be used.
It cautions against using the ones not passing the gauge test!

I was reluctant, but decided to give it a go!

Just a note of my trial and errors.

Asher Kelman

Fahim,

You've a ton of things to check with your inventory of possibly compatible lenses. I'm particularly interested in the Fuji lenses and would love to have pictures of some pretty eyes at different ISO's!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Fahim,

You've a ton of things to check with your inventory of possibly compatible lenses. I'm particularly interested in the Fuji lenses and would love to have pictures of some pretty eyes at different ISO's!

Asher

Give me something else to test. One pair of eyes landed in Montreal about an hour ago.
Two more pair of eyes landed at O'Hare a few hours back.

My eyes..you don't want to know them!

Give me something else to try different ISOs on.

Best.

fahim mohammed

Setting to Velvia. I have found that the 'reds ' are blown. But they seem to be amenable to curves by and large. There is no support for raw files in acr or lightroom or aperture..yet.

p1273325872-5.jpg

p1273325882-5.jpg

I am loving the lightness..however:

Being small in size, and me not used to lcd focussing, I use the evf. This is causing me some discomfort in
my shoulders as I have to bring the cam close to the body and fold up my hands. I need time to get used to it.

There are a few quirks..I am writing them down, as I experience them and maybe post them later.

About the 35/1.4 R Fujinon lens...no complaints whatsoever. Excellent performance. Smooth oof areas.
AF is pretty ok so far. Not like my D700 nor, for me, the M.
CF is a joke.

The SD card holder..I find it too close the battery and cover. It is tension loaded. Push down and it springs up ( a little ). But the clearing between the battery/card cover and the card is a little narrow.
Long nails will work fine. I cut my nails every day and find this positioning too close for comfort for prolonged insertions and removals of the SD card.

The battery seems pretty good, so far. I have been chimping a lot with the lcd ' on'. I am still on my first battery charge.

fahim mohammed

No 100% crops this time. The Exif is intact.

This is Otty: Ayesha's favorite. She belongs to a ' save the penguins ' society. And my grand daughter is also a paid up member!!

p1273374224-5.jpg

The one below has been, by consensus, named Uggy! It is supposed to represent me. But they are quick to add that ' Uggy has a heart of gold '. I guess as a consolation to me.

p1273374236-5.jpg

And these are a few that are in my grand daughter's room..for when she stays with us. Don't ask me their names!!

p1273374244-5.jpg

I notice once again that the ' reds ' are blown!! Got to get the -ev to get these ' reds ' in line. The warmish ( reddish ) tinge is the low sunlight filtered thru the window netting.

fahim mohammed

In a corridor of my home, the wall is lined with paintings by Ayesha.
These were painted in hotel rooms in the countries/cities we visited.

No 100% crops. Exif intact.
I switched off the spotlights illuminating these three paintings. There was only normal night time overhead lighting in the corridor.

p1273374546-5.jpg

p1273374574-5.jpg

p1273374588-5.jpg

I purposely underexposed with the high ISO and brought the levels up through a simple level adjustment for the 255.

The jpg file is extremely good ooc!! No doubt about it.

Asher Kelman

Setting to Velvia. I have found that the 'reds ' are blown. But they seem to be amenable to curves by and large. There is no support for raw files in acr or lightroom or aperture..yet.

Try Capture One. It has support for S2 Pro , S3 Pro, S5 Pro , and X100. No do the new camera will follow shortly. Perhaps you can download a trial version and see whether the files can be processed as if its an S5 Pro.

Being small in size, and me not used to lcd focussing, I use the evf. This is causing me some discomfort in
my shoulders as I have to bring the cam close to the body and fold up my hands. I need time to get used to it.

Well, what about the M9? That you have to bring up to your eye in the same way, I'd have thought?

About the 35/1.4 R Fujinon lens...no complaints whatsoever. Excellent performance. Smooth oof areas. AF is pretty ok so far.
Great to hear. That's in my comfort zone for price!

CF is a joke.
Could you mean MF?

Thanks for all this detailed hands on experience. Very helpful!

Asher

Asher Kelman

In a corridor of my home, the wall is lined with paintings by Ayesha.
These were painted in hotel rooms in the countries/cities we visited.

No 100% crops. Exif intact.
I switched off the spotlights illuminating these three paintings. There was only normal night time overhead lighting in the corridor.

p1273374546-5.jpg

p1273374574-5.jpg

p1273374588-5.jpg

I purposely underexposed with the high ISO and brought the levels up through a simple level adjustment for the 255.

The jpg file is extremely good ooc!! No doubt about it.

Well, Fahim,

These make a beautiful surprise. What a talented partner you have in Aisha. Gradually we are learning more! Just this alone would impress me and make me think she had Dutch roots. Watch her and check both ears each morning!

Asher

fahim mohammed

Well, Fahim,

These make a beautiful surprise. What a talented partner you have in Aisha. Gradually we are learning more! Just this alone would impress me and make me think she had Dutch roots. Watch her and check both ears each morning!

Asher

Thank you Asher. Yes, I am a very lucky man.

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

Hi Fahim,

I'm watching with great interest as I might get one of these or perhaps the equally small APS-C Canon M which takes regular Canon lenses with a $199 adapter and therefore Pentax or Leica lenses from there!!

Asher