• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

First experience with Canon's wireless ETTL-II

Tim Armes

Hi all,

I just thought I'd share my first experiences with Canon's wireless ETTL-II system.

Until recently I've been dragging my studio flashes out for location shoots. Studio flash offers an unprecedented control over the lighting conditions, however I'd be lying if I said it wasn't clumbersome.

So, after having been inspired by a few photographers who make incredible use of small strobes, I decided to invest in a small strobe set up for location work.

So a while ago I bought a 580EX in order to get used to ETTL-II and understand its limitations. Then yesterday I was at a camera fair and I managed to pick up a good-as-new 550EX for 130 euros! I couldn't believe my luck. I went home and started to play.

At this point I have to say a big "thank you" to Doug Kerr for his excellent article on Canon's wireless ratio control system. Doug's article takes all the pain out out trying to understand the terrible user manual.

The system really does work like a charm. I placed the 580EX on the camera to supply fill light and act as the master, and the 550EX off camera to use as the main light. In ETTL mode I could select the ratio of light from each strobe and it just worked. You move the lights around and it continues work, automatically compensating for the light loss as you move the strobe further from the subject. I could then adjust the overall flash exposure compensation, which would off course be transmitted to the second strobe as well. I'm really very impressed - it was very quick and easy, a real pleasure.

Another thing I really like is the ability to control the off camera flashes in manual mode from the master. If I decide not to use ETTL for a particular shoot then I can place the flashes in manual and still control them from the master, reducing the amount of walking around I have to do.

Finally, using off-camera shoes with pc sockets will allow me to trigger my flash using a radio trigger (yes, the strobes should have PC sockets. Canon should be ashamed). In the remaining cases where Canon's wireless system won't trigger (due to working distance or flash position) I can still trigger the strobes by radio (in full manual mode, off course).

It really does make for a very flexible system.

Tim

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Tim for the reference. Doug writes well so I am not surprised you found it so helpful.

Why caqnon has to write to small and with cryptic referencing, I really don't understand!

I've used my 3 550 EX flashes with great benefit for many, many social functions. Still, there's only a fraction of the system I really use! I have printed out Doug's article and see if I can't get some more inspiration too!

The limit is one can't signal well in the bright sun or around some corners.

Asher

Aaron Strasburg

Strobist

If you like this sort of off-camera flash work using small strobes there's lots of info at http://strobist.blogspot.com/. He's got some really clever ideas, if only I had time to play more....

And, yes, Canon should be horsewhipped for not including PC connections. I'm tempted but haven't succumbed to the temptation to add a connector to my 580EX (see http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006_08_01_strobist_archive.html and search down for 580--I don't know how to get a direct link unfortunately).