• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji X-Shooters Get a New Home on OPF!

Doug Kerr

Where do we put our Fuji camera discussions? The Ricoh has a dedicated thread..nepotism at work!!

Indeed!

First frame from our Fujifilm S602 Zoom:

Carla_DSCF0001-01-S800.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Cherokee Gal, 2003

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, we made this new thread in recognition of the unique build of the Fuji X series camera bodies and lenses. So far this is APS-C and these cameras seem to match the output of FF Canon and Nikon cameras at the time that the X series cameras were first introduced. Right now, Fuji has it's own very well integrated technology of what a shooters camera can be. So Fuji X series users now have a dedicated place in OPF to share experiences and also teach the rest of us.

We've heard of Olympus M 4/3 being used for Pro Event shoots and obviously the sony A7 compacts can replace Nikon and Canon DLR's, but we'd like to hear use of the Fuji X line of cameras in professional situations as well as everything else.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Indeed!

First frame from our Fujifilm S602 Zoom:

Doug,

A lot has happened since the S602 in 2002! Amazingly, early last year, Fuji moved this place in their line up to CMOS in their latest Fujifilm FinePix S8400W, with 16 megapixels and a 24 all the way to a staggering 1056 mm (44×) reach! Your current camera is still a marvel as shown by the picture of Carla.

Not an X series lens, but a great tribute to a venerable camera badge!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Doug,

A lot has happened since the S602 in 2002!
<snip>
Your current camera is still a marvel as shown by the picture of Carla.
Indeed. Not current though - sold it a number of years ago. But still have Carla!

Not an X series lens, but a great tribute to a venerable camera badge!
Yes, it was an important camera for us. Its main shortcoming was the long shutter delay, exacerbated by a substantial EVF lag.

We moved from it to a Canon EOS Digital Rebel (EOS 300D).

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Mirrorless ( leaving rangefinders ) deserve to be at least in one section, if not individually for each brand.

My experience with the XE-1 is still ongoing. So far it has redeemed itself very nicely as a light ( weight and volume ), excellent low light tool for me.

It has its share of shortcomings..which camera doesn't..and I shall mention them along the way after some more experience under my belt.

I love the film simulation modes. Fuji does know a thing or two about film and color!! :)

I have 3 Fuji lenses for the XE-1. The 35/1.4 ( a super lens ), The 60/2.8 macro ( hunts a lot and slow ), and the really
excellent 18-50mm image stabilized zoom. Not a fast lens but with the XE-1 high iso capabilities and image stabilization...it has surprised me.

p1005817403-5.jpg

Asher Kelman

Sure.

There were already a few threads like this, this, this and this one (and a few more I did not find), so a transfer to this place would make sense.

I think that both new subforums are better off in the Digital Camera Discussion section.

Thanks again for the guidance, Michael! I rounded up these and several more. So now there's a more coherent sense of our interest here in this well thought out and highly regarded series of Fuji cameras. Some still belong in other fora, like, "Riskit!" for the nature of the content and have not been moved. One, on the marvel of the Fuji dual mode viewfinder, is kept in place but copied and continued here.

Asher

Asher Kelman

A question for Fuji shooters. Have you noticed any notable differences between the X trans sensor and previous sensors in other cameras?

I have seen comments like, "I'd get the Fuji system if it didn't have that sensor." It that forum nonsense or are there recognized issues that make the X series sensor especially good under some conditions but not others?

Asher

fahim mohammed

The XE-1 might not be good at action/sports..but I make do ok..

p935214802-5.jpg

p974101847-5.jpg

I guess in the end, it all depends on what rocks one's boat. Or at least manages to get to the other side.

Alain Briot

pro member
1606952_10152136150360801_1471172612_n.jpg

Using the Fuji X100s during the Arizona classic cars Concours d'Elegance at the Arizona Biltmore. I'll have a detailed review of the camera available soon. The bow tie will be reviewed separately.​

Alain Briot

pro member
They are called 'sprites'. They were designed by Frank Lloyd Wright who designed the Biltmore hotel and is best known for designing Talliasin East (Wisconsin) and West (Arizona).

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Fahim - those are excellent shots, really nice. Do you find yourself using Raw, or are you happy with the JPG engine? For 'family snaps' I find myself more than happy with the JPG engine - only tend to use RAW for landscapes and stuff that I know is going to have tricky dynamic range.

Alain - Will be interested to read your review and what you think of the x100s. I'm sure the bow tie review will be worth a read as well... :)

Regards,
Andrew.

Alain Briot

pro member
The bow tie review will come first ;-)

To comment on the question of raw vs jpeg, I only shoot raw. However, because the max ISO for the x100s is only available in jpeg mode, I'll provide a jpeg test at the top ISO speed for reference regarding noise levels.

Alain Briot

pro member
1545827_10152140676830801_1479809671_n.jpg

Natalie Briot at Bonhams car auction today in front of a Bentley 1954 R-Type Continental 'Fastback' Sports Saloon.​

Alain Briot

pro member
[
1493237_10152140678565801_11617381_n.jpg

Alain Briot at Bonhams car auction today in front of a Bentley 1954 R-Type Continental 'Fastback' Sports Saloon.​

fahim mohammed

Fahim - those are excellent shots, really nice. Do you find yourself using Raw, or are you happy with the JPG engine? For 'family snaps' I find myself more than happy with the JPG engine - only tend to use RAW for landscapes and stuff that I know is going to have tricky dynamic range.

Alain - Will be interested to read your review and what you think of the x100s. I'm sure the bow tie review will be worth a read as well... :)

Regards,
Andrew.

Hi Andrew.

Thanks. I have very very rarely used raw with
The Fuji. Increasing the dr in camera has allowed
Me to deal with most situations.

I need a longer fl and I shall be set.

Best regards.

Asher Kelman

'Veiling haze?' What do you mean?

As when one shoots into the light and the coating of the lens doesn't take care of those reflections. There's just a hint of this on the windshield and then perhaps over the rest of the picture. Could be I'm over imagining it!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
It's definitely there on the windshield but that's because of the windshield design and tint, not because of glare coming into the lens. This photograph was taken in open shade, so there was no direct light coming onto the scene or the camera. In fact it is the open shade that provided the image quality I was looking for. I had seen this exact same car at another show a week before, at the Arizona Concours d'Elegance, but it was in direct light and not propitious to creating the photographs I was after. When I saw it again it was in the shade of a nearby building, a multi-story parking garage as it so happened, and the light was impeccable. I created a series of images focusing on details of the car, many of which are'BQ' (book quality).

You can see the other images at this link: http://beautiful-landscape.com/Portfolios-Cars-2014.html