• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Grab Portraits Challenge: Fast Grab- Portaits: No lights, no reflectors.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
And what about the other person lurking in the shadows? :)

Regards,

Stuart

Bonsoir Suart
I did not wish to see that person, it is no need here as I have already explained here that I wanted the women to appear fromp the dark.
Thank you for understanding

StuartRae

Bonsoir Nicolas,

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed that was your intention, but it was interesting to imagine what was his purpose.

Stuart

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
No purpose.
I think that in an image, what is hidden is as important as what is shown/enlighten.
I wished him to be hidden.

Gary Yelland

pro member
My boy

My eldest son at the local playground

493564632_b3431e98b1_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Kevin and Louis,

Your B&W pictures take me again to fundamental issues in photography of B&W versus color!.

In the old days of color film with home processing or even with major color houses, color was more difficult than film. I was always so involved with trying to excel in B&W that color seemed an almost impossible challenge to reach excellence.

However, now color is easily rendered with a calibrated workflow, gray cards, whiBal and smart software. The eye helps of course, but even that is less demanding work, since one can get experience of years of color printing in film from just months of work in a RAW converter with a modern monitor.

Kevin, the G2 picture of the woman sitting on the bed has a classic timelessness to it and in fact deals with the passage of time and contemplation of the past and future. I can't imagine that this clean un-debrided, free of razzle-dazzle image would be readily achievable in color. In faqct, photography should exclude what is not needed to express the ideas, feelings, thoughts, mood confrontations etc. This applies to real objects as well as color!

Anyway, that is a justification or raqtionalization of my reactions to some of the best B&W images.

Louis,

Your image is a personal snapshot of a speciial woman. He smile, stance and relationship to you is expressed well. There is affection and devotion, a human link beween the subject and the photographer.

It works well. Still I ask, but do not yet know, how would this look in B&W? If it is clearer and more emotionally important to you, then that would be something!

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Mother and Daughter

I saw the pair at an art gallery opening.

The relationship between the two was so close. Two wonderful independant women enjoying art and treasuring each other!

_MG_5646_GirlandMotheratArtShow.jpg

Mother and Daughter 5D 50 1.2L f1.6 1/200 sec ISO 1600 Avaiiable dim light, No noise reduction

Asher

Last edited:

Klaus Esser

pro member
I saw the pair at an art gallery opening.

The relationship between the two was so close. Two wonderful independant women enjoying art and treasuring each other!
Mother and Daughter 5D 50 1.2L f1.6 1/200 sec ISO 1600 Avaiiable dim light, No noise reduction

Asher

A VERY fine shot, Asher! I like it!

best, Klaus

here two grab-shots of my daughter:

the first one was shot with a Nikon F2, the second one was shot with a Polaroid SX70:

lisebld.jpg

lise.jpg

Asher Kelman

A VERY fine shot, Asher! I like it!

best, Klaus

here two grab-shots of my daughter:

the first one was shot with a Nikon F2, the second one was shot with a Polaroid SX70:

lisebld.jpg

Klaus,

This is a special image. The eyes and the stance asks a question and shows love. What film was used and how did you scan it. The B&W is superbly rendered.

lise.jpg

This little polaroid was the small square B&W or color. Is that the SX 70?

When were these pictures taken?

Thanks for sharing you personal joy with us!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Here's a grab shot of mom and daughter on a rollercoaster
rollercoaster.jpg

This certainly shows the thrill of the ride. I like the teeth braces, the grabbling of the sunglasses, the hair whipped back. It's fin and exciting.

I don't go on roller coasters, my kids do!

I have never managed pictures I liked, myself!

Asher

ron_hiner

rollercoast shot details

Well done. Care to give the details?

Sure.... Nikon D40 with 18-200 lens held at arms length pointing back to my left hitting the shutter button as often as I could, while doing my best to hold my stomach in place. This shot was the only keeper out of maybe 25 attempts. Composition and focus was pure luck.

lens at 18mm f6.3. shutter 1/160 -- chosen by auto mode. Iso 200.
Converted from raw in Capture NX. Did some skin softening on mom -- too much really. Added some USM, but had to back it off because it make the braces pop. Resized and stamped in CS3.

Ron

Klaus Esser

pro member
Hi Asher!

I love this pictures! The first one was shot on Ektachrome EPP, around ´94 (she´s born in ´91) and the second one was shot ´98 on Formentera (little spanish mediterranian island). Yes, ist was SX70 rendered in b&w after scanning.
On the first picture my daughter, Elise, had a bad flu - but wanted to accompany her brother who was introduced to school the first day.

best, Klaus

Asher Kelman

Now I get it, Ron! I thought perhaps yo were catching them on the grounds as they whipped down and past you. I hope you had your camera stapped on! Wow!

Good shot is even better now!

Asher

Last edited:

Clayton Lofgren

jumper

They don't get any grabbier than this. Caught this young gal enjoying herself on a trampolin at an amusement park. I will get back there some day and try some with a flash.

5fa36ef32640497da4f87a2e4ce3a152.jpg

KM5D 1/1000 f9 iso 400 135mm

Asher Kelman

Clayton,

For a moment, I was stymied. What kind of Canon 5D did you use?

Then I realized that the now abandoned Konica Minolta has that nomenclature. This shows how we sadly put away from reality the huge loss of brilliant camera making we've seen in the past 10 years.

Forget that Konica and Minolta, themselves are eminent names. We lose such winners. Glad you use this camera. With no flash, the picture has a great immediacy like she is really jumping in real non perfect light. That's perfect for me! Very vibrant life in that child. Quick eye!

Asher

Grab Shot

This was a grab shot of my grandparents that I took at my brother's wedding.

The_Walk.jpg

There wasn't much editing done to this image. It means a lot to me as they are my grandparents, but I'd like to know your thoughts on this picture.

Ray West

Hi Jessica,

I guess you have other photos. For this, I find the background too sharp, the heads are lost in the detail, small figure at shoulder level. I think it could be useful if you do some basic editing on it, but it depends on what you want. If it is the only photo you have of them on that day, then work on it, if you have others, then maybe put this towards the bottom of the pile for later attention. I like the brick ground and jacket, but the couple need emphasising.

Best wishes,

Ray

Little Lumberjack

This is a picture I took of my nephew last week.

DSC_0062resized.jpg

I thought he looked so adorable with his camping outfit and was lucky enough to snap this shot of him smiling a little.

This is a picture of my niece and nephew. My niece was playing with her yo-yo, and I thought she looked cute since she was wearing my sweater which is much too big for her.

DSC_0647resized.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Jessica,

Have you looked at these pictures in B&W so you will only be exploring tonality. It might help you to work on these pictures and take then beyond a delightful snap shots.

The color clashes of the unatural colors and elements which can distract, can be unified in a careful translation to grey scale where the importance of mode and setting will be overcome distraction by artificiality.

I'm not saying that this is how you should process, just an idea to experiment with.

Anyway, these are warm captures and very sponstanious. Thanks for sharing!

Asher