• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hummingbirds in the desert

Doug Kerr

As many of you know, Carla's son Larry, his wife Nona, and their long-haired Chihuahua, Foxy, now live with us. Both Larry and Nona have considerable photographic experience in their prior lives.

In our back yard, which is in the Chihuahuan desert (a source of great national pride to Foxy and to Chloe, our smooth-haired Chihuahua) we have a great abundance of many species of birds, and lately Larry has done some wonderful still photography of the birds (and many other things) with our Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000.

Larry just acquired a GoPro Hero 12 video camera and a set of zillions of clamps and little tripods and rods and goosenecks and stick-on pads and clamps so it can be mounted to anything imaginable. It is, by the way, an incredible machine, with a wonderful mechanical design and build, astonishing performance, and a very wide range of features. (It is a little bigger than a matchbox.)

One of Larry's early subjects was the many species of hummingbird that come to feed at the rather elaborate feeder Larry and Carla have set up at the edge of our porch. The GoPro video records are just stupendous, and the stills grabbed from them are wonderful.

Here we see what we believe to be a female broad-tailed hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) approaching the dining site:

HummerStill3-01-s800.jpg

Lawrence R. Henry, "Hummingbird approaches 1"​

She has apparently already rigged in the feature that gives her species its name, I suppose to get ready for her hovering mode at lunch (we see it rigged out in other frames of the series, not presented here).

Here she is dining:

HummerStill2-01-s800.jpg

Lawrence R. Henry, "Hummingbird dining 1"​

I do not yet have at hand any of the technical parameters of the shot.

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited: