• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just back from the Hebrides

janet Smith

pro member
Just come back from three weeks in Scotland visiting the Isles of Harris, Lewis, Skye, Scalpay and the mainland around Gairloch. I've just started working my way through the 100's of shots I've come back with, it's going to be a long slow job. It was our first visit to Harris which we fell compleltely in love with, it's very barren in places with miles and miles of boulder strewn mountain sides and empty moorland, but there are loads of the most perfect beaches imaginable with beautiful clear turquoise sea, and few people...... So here are a few just to show you where I've been.

IMG_0036SS.jpg

Hushinish Bay, Isle of Harris

IMG_0133SS.jpg

Valtos, Isle of Lewis

IMG_0091SS001.jpg

Nr Tarbert, Isle of Harris

IMG_0006ASS.jpg

And here is one of the mainland near Badachro, taken just before torrential rain, I'm struggling with the B&W conversion of this one, I think it has more potential than I have managed to draw out of it here, I've converted using Channel mixer, working on selected areas and adjusting them as I go, any suggestions......

And Asher I did get a castle for you this time, I'll post it later....

janet Smith

pro member
From what I've seen sofar, it looks like panorama heaven to me

Hi Bart

Yes it certainly is, it's going to take me months to work through all the shots I've come back with, we go again in September, so I'll probably have just finished working through this batch, then we're off again....

Anyway, thanks for commenting, and as promised here is Asher's long awaited castle and my favourite one, Eilean Donan Castle by Dornie, nr Kyle of Lochalsh

IMG_0042SSOPF.jpg

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Another WOW

Jan,

I look forward to your summer holidays from my desk chair. What a rich collection you are starting! Can't wait to see more.

janet Smith

pro member
I look forward to your summer holidays from my desk chair.

Hi Kathy

So glad you enjoyed my holiday too! there are some more on my website if you want to look, loads more will be added over the coming weeks. We really had a wonderfully relaxing time, we drove about 50 miles on Harris on the first Sunday we were there and only saw 2 or 3 other cars, the only noise that could heard at the house we stayed in was the munching of the sheep and bird song, complete peace absolutely wonderful....

Chris Lilley

Anyway, thanks for commenting, and as promised here is Asher's long awaited castle and my favourite one, Eilean Donan Castle by Dornie, nr Kyle of Lochalsh

This is a well known castle often featured in films. As its 19th century and very complete, its often used to stand in for older castles in historical drama.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Chris

Glad to have brought back good memories for you, we're just pondering going to the Isle of Raasay in a few weeks time, have you been there too, if so did you like it?

Chris Lilley

Hi Chris

Glad to have brought back good memories for you, we're just pondering going to the Isle of Raasay in a few weeks time, have you been there too, if so did you like it?

No, Raasay I never got to. Lewis, Harris, Skye, Arran; mainland Orkney and a couple of the smaller ones (Rousay, and the chain to the south).

Mike Shimwell

Janet,

It looks like you had a great time. We're deserting the innner hebrides this summer and taking the last boat to Norway - but ope to be back to Jura/Islay later in the year.
My favourites were 'the long road' near tarbert, Harris and the Black and White picture. I'll have a look at your website again this week to see what else you got up.

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Jan,

And don't hold back on the panoramas either! From what I've seen sofar, it looks like panorama heaven to me.
This is so true! Bart you "pre-thunk" my thoughts, LOL!

All the pictures call for their view to be opened to the left and right.

Thanks for the Castle and remembering my fascination with these complex structures. Eilean Donan Castle is something I'd love to see for myself. I wonder if I've seen any movies where they used it. The castle seems to grow out of the landscape. I hope you have more views. I am fascinated with how it came to be built in the 19th Century! I guess it likely does not have it's own church as some castles would have.

What of the Hebrides? Is there a farming community that pretty well survives as it has for generations or has Burger Kind, Macdonalds etc invaded even there. Also how does one get about and from Island to Island? Or any of the Islands privately owned? Also is there oil drilling or salmon farms ruining the place?

Thanks for sharing,

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Tell us more about these islands, I don't know anything about them

Hi Nat

Thanks for you interest, the Isle of Skye is now "connected" to the north west coast of mainland Scotland by a bridge although there is still a small car ferry (4 car size) which runs from Glenelg, Skye is mountainous, with small villages running throughout where some crofting (small farms) still takes place. We stayed on Skye for a week and then drove to the top of the island and took the car ferry about one and a half hour crossing. Harris is very different to Skye it is very barren, few trees grow, in fact very little of anything grows except bracken and heather, the climate is predominantly wet and windy with the stretch of water between Skye and Harris being notoriously dangerous. The days we crossed between islands it was thankfully calm. It is remote, roads are almost all single track and there are definitely no MacDonalds, in fact there are few shops of any kind, and food is very expensive as it is all brought into the few small shops that there are by boat. The local community, seems to thrive on tourism, some crofting still and fishing. Isle of Lewis is connected to Harris and is similar to Harris but not so many of the beautiful beaches and is even more barren. I'm a bit pushed for time this morning I'll try and give more info later.

janet Smith

pro member
looks like you had a great time. We're deserting the innner hebrides this summer and taking the last boat to Norway - but ope to be back to Jura/Islay later in the year.
My favourites were 'the long road' near tarbert, Harris and the Black and White picture. I'll have a look at your website again this week to see what else you got up
Hi Mike

Norway is on my list of places to go, lucky you, never been to either Jura or Islay, we tend to go much further north, are they beautiful? Thanks for the feedback I'm still working on the b & w's, will maybe post more later, I've a hectic week coming up now so may not time to process too many more this week...

janet Smith

pro member
All the pictures call for their view to be opened to the left and right.

Thanks for the Castle and remembering my fascination with these complex structures. Eilean Donan Castle is something I'd love to see for myself. I wonder if I've seen any movies where they used it. The castle seems to grow out of the landscape. I hope you have more views. I am fascinated with how it came to be built in the 19th Century! I guess it likely does not have it's own church as some castles would have.

What of the Hebrides? Is there a farming community that pretty well survives as it has for generations or has Burger Kind, Macdonalds etc invaded even there. Also how does one get about and from Island to Island? Or any of the Islands privately owned? Also is there oil drilling or salmon farms ruining the place?

Hi Asher

Glad you like the castle, it was actually built in mid 13th century and went through several restorations over the centuries the last being in the early 1900's if I remember correctly, yes it's been used as film sets in many films (I forget which) sorry...

The outer Hebrides are still very traditional, the sabbath is very strictly observed, there was a note in the house we rented asking us not to hang out washing on the Sabbath. The local's survive on tourism, crofting (very small scale farming, mostly sheep) and fishing, the last of the famous Harris tweed producers has just closed down. One of the small islands Scalpay has a population of about 350 apparently most of them are related and is very traditional still. Shops are very small, few and far between & poorly stocked, fresh produce is very expensive, going on for double the price of the mainland.

There is no oil drilling that I saw and I'm not aware of any, some small fish farms are visible but definitely do not ruin the place and bring essential employment to the area, although at the moment there is some discontent on the islands at a proposal to build a huge wind farm on Lewis. Skye is touristy in places, but is big enough to be able to get away from it, I'm not aware of any MacDonald's on Skye either. In fact I'm not aware of any in the Highlands apart from Fort William and no doubt Inverness, I'm sure someone will correct me, but the north west highlands of Scotland remain pretty much unspoilt (for now!!!)

I have literally 100's of shots, am still trawling through the first batches, and will come back to the pano's when I've done the bulk of the 'bread and butter' stuff. Also I took loads for b&w, we had a lot of bad weather while we were on the islands, the dreaded grey clouds which covered the mountains in a thick mist making them invisible, tends to be par for the course in Scotland though....

It may be a couple of weeks before I get time to work on the pano's & the b&w's, but I may need some advice about bring out the best in the b&w's I used to convert using either greyscale or desaturate, but have started using Channel mixer, am I doing the right thing? any advice please....

Alan Rew

Janet, thanks again for posting your photographs here. Beautiful compositions, stunning locations. The white sand and blue water on the beaches of Harris make it look very exotic, almost like somewhere in the Pacific. Please post some more images some time.

For other people who want a bit more info on the Outer Hebrides, this page is a good starting point
http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/harris.htm

Asher, the page has this link to holiday accommodation based in Scottish castles, although I'm not sure if any are in the Outer Hebrides
http://www.scotland-inverness.co.uk/Chatelaine/accomm.htm

Kind Regards,

Alan

janet Smith

pro member
Janet, thanks again for posting your photographs here. Beautiful compositions, stunning locations. The white sand and blue water on the beaches of Harris make it look very exotic, almost like somewhere in the Pacific. Please post some more images some time

Hello Alan, Thanks for your comments, yes Harris has loads of verry beautiful beaches, but the water was freezing, exhilarating though....

Here is a link to an agent we've used several times, they handle some wonderful properties.

http://www.cottages-and-castles.co.uk/

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Alan and Jan for this helpful information on getting access to accommodation.

Where would you choose as a base for a tour? I assume one could get a car rental.

Asher

janet Smith

pro member
Thanks Alan and Jan for this helpful information on getting access to accommodation. Where would you choose as a base for a tour? I assume one could get a car rental

Depends on what you like, we like remote places with few people, which as a consequence means there is nothing to do but walk & sightsee. Good hotels are few and far between in the highlands, however there are a few notable but very expensive exceptions. Send me a PM with an idea of what you like and I'll give it some thought and will probably know some lovely houses or hotels, I'll put a list of their details together for you. Yes, car rental would be essential, probably best to fly in to Inverness, where you could collect a car. Are you interested in the mainland or possibly some of the islands?

fahim mohammed

Hello Janet,

Brings back memories when we visited Skye. Photogs heaven, and you are enticing others with
your good images. the bw conversion is my favorite. as a suggestion, why don't you try by
starting out with one of the 3 channels ( or the l channel ) do some curves, blending etc. and
see where it gets you.

you folks must have had a super time.

janet Smith

pro member
Brings back memories when we visited Skye. Photogs heaven....The bw conversion is my favorite. as a suggestion, why don't you try by
starting out with one of the 3 channels ( or the l channel ) do some curves, blending etc. and
see where it gets you

Hi Fahim

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Skye, yes we had a good time, but Scotland lived up to it's reputation this time and we had an awful lot of rain and heavy cloud so thick at times you couldn't even see the mountains! Anyway we go again in a few weeks time, we're spending a week on the Isle of Raasay, which is a 25 minute ferry crossing from the Isle of Skye, reputedly beautiful with views from one side of the island to the the Cuillins on Skye (mountain range) and to the Applecross mountains from the other side. Then we go to stay near Applecross for another week, so fingers crossed for better weather this time.

Anyway, re the b&w, I'm still working on them, could you or someone else explain about blending for me? Thanks for any help.....

janet Smith

pro member
I've had a ridiculously busy few weeks, so apologies for the delay, here are a few more from our trip, let me know what you think....

IMG_0022v2.jpg

Traigh Lar beach, Isle of Harris

ByBorveHarris2.jpg

Ord2mergeSS001.jpg

Ord, Isle of Skye, just down the road from the cottage we stayed in

IMG_0012SS002.jpg

Hushinish beach, Isle of Harris

Last but definitely not least Kim dog having a lovely time, which was wonderful as she had been very ill before the holiday and we wondered how she would cope with all the travelling, but she had a lovely time as you can see....

fahim mohammed

Hello Janet,

1 and 2 look like the tropics!

3 is beautiful of beautiful Skye.

4 is a place where I would like to spend a week away from work. No more, mind you or
else I shall have footprints all over if the tide doesn't clean it.

Best.

I've had a ridiculously busy few weeks, so apologies for the delay, here are a few more from our trip, let me know what you think....

IMG_0022v2.jpg

ByBorveHarris2.jpg

Ord2mergeSS001.jpg

Ord, Isle of Skye, just down the road from the cottage we stayed in

IMG_0012SS002.jpg

Hushinish beach, Isle of Harris

Last but definitely not least Kim dog having a lovely time, which was wonderful as she had been very ill before the holiday and we wondered how she would cope with all the travelling, but she had a lovely time as you can see....

janet Smith

pro member
1 and 2 look like the tropics!

3 is beautiful of beautiful Skye.

4 is a place where I would like to spend a week away from work. No more, mind you or
else I shall have footprints all over if the tide doesn't clean it

Hello Fahim

Thanks for dropping by, yes Harris (1 & 2) is a really beautiful island, very very barren, very few people, hardly any cars, like stepping back in time 30 years, we absolutely loved it, not everone's cup of tea though, few places to eat, stay, shop, no or little mobile phone reception, lots of rain and very windy, but exceptionally beautiful beaches, usually with no-one else around....

We're going to the Isle of Raasay (just off Skye) soon now, we think it's possibly going to be more beautiful than Skye, I'll be able to show you when I come back, this summer has been the wettest I can remember for years and years here, so please keep your fingers crossed for some dry weather and good light for me....

fahim mohammed

The castle ( Eilean Donan Castle by Dornie, nr Kyle of Lochalsh ) is also used for weddings nowadays. I am also told that the descendants of the original landowners still live here.

janet Smith

pro member
Hi Fahim

Last time we were there, there was a wedding taking place with pipers on the bridge to the castle, it's a wonderful location for a wedding, not too sure about family descendants of the original land owners though, sadly it's become very commercial now, with a large visitor centre, but it's still beautiful.

Here's the last one I'm going to post from Harris, we've decided that while we're up there on our next trip we may well take the ferry across to Harris for a return visit.... (well we can't be so close and not go, can we!!)

IMG_0136S2.jpg

Storm clouds gathering, Traigh Lar beach, Isle of Harris, Outer Hebrides

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
In reference to two of the places mentioned:

Eileen Donan 11pm

Elileen.jpg

Skye seen from near Glenelg

kylerhea.jpg

I have plenty from that part of the world. First trip shot on Velvia 645 and the 2nd on digital.