• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Majestic Landscape Above the Clouds

Robert Watcher

Now that I have been retired for over a year, and no longer take on any paid photography work —— I’ve been considering how to display and have easy access to my vast collection of processed photographs that I have been collecting and using on social media since going digital 20 years ago. My choice has been to revamp robertwatcher.com - striping out my portrait and other paid work - and build a simple website with a gallery containing my Catalog.

I have had different people - including a couple of coffee shops who would like me to hang a couple of my prints - wondering if I had a place where they could see what images I had available. All that I have been able to show them is my Instagram account. It really isn’t a conducive platform to finding images easily out of thousands I have uploaded. For them or for me.

So https://robertwatcher.com/catalog is a work in progress. It has taken me well over two weeks just to work my way up to the 3,000 images available now. Processed images are scattered all over the place, so even these have been a challenge to find. At the same time, I am needing to add search relevant info for each image, to the database so that I have a practical filtering system. This is going to take a lot of time. So far I have added “bnw” and “black and white” to a majority of black and white photos. A few images have been keyworded with “rodeo”, “volcano” and more of those specific words will be available. I’ve started adding locations. A big job, but helps find groups using such terms in the Search bar. At least with all the files being entered into a database, each image now has a Unique ID# that Anne, me or anyone can use as a reference to the photo they are describing.

——
On to these findings from today

4 times each of the 3 years that we lived in Guatemala, we got to experience the majesty of the mountain and volcano peak landscape above the clouds on our flight from Mexico City to or from Guatemala City. It was surreal that even flying at 30,000 to 40,000 feet, the tops of the volcano shown here, were 1/2 the distance to our plane - at well over 18,000 feet.

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1669.jpeg

IMG_1670.jpeg

IMG_1673.jpeg

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

The last two pictures are the stunning view from the last curve before heading down into the city of Quetzaltenango in the valley - driving on what is considered to be the highest highway in Central America at over 11,400 feet.

With the mist in the mountain crevices, it was sometimes hard to distinguish whether the scenes were from land or sky.

IMG_1667.jpeg

IMG_1666.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Robert,

This is a magnificent task and your findings on landscapes from thr air spectacular and awe inspiring!

what software are you using. Look at Mylio. It has promise for doing cataloging for you.

Asher