• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

MF Digital Backs: Gap between what Photographers Expect and What MFRS Deliver?

I had a freeze of Safari, simply when clicking the first link provided and each time. I'm not sure why?
With the "new" link it works fine, and not long at all to download (15 sec).

Best regards,
Thierry

Hi Thierry,

Was it just a slow download of the Sinar pdf brochure, or was it something else, yesterday?

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi Thierry,

I think both links are to the same place, but never mind, we got it in the end.

Thanks for the extra links. Rainer posts here, when he can. The trouble is, I reckon he could get a brilliant image with a 5Mp phone. I do not know anything about the other two photographers. I do not know which images are with the new gear (same for Rainer's I guess) or the amount of processing involved. It may be best that you don't let Asher push you too hard, in future, but the images you originally posted have stirred some interest, I suppose ;-).

Best wishes,

Ray

Ray West

Hi Paul,

I think you are dead on right wrt argb/srgb. Certainly wrt the last image in Boris's post. Unfortunately, no profile is assigned, but it brightens up somewhat if you load it as argb in ps, then convert to srgb for viewing in a browser - I think I've said that right.

How do pdf's handle colour profiles?

Best wishes,

Ray

I think that images of a new product are always good to have, but generally there is so much expectancy that potential users (or spectators) will tend to think that this is all they will ever see.

I don't think someone will spend the sums of money involved here on this images, so lets calm down a bit -- we have even done the very unusual thing of making Asher race his voice --. On the other side, I don't understand why Sinar is not hiring professional photographers and models to inundate the forumsphere with best case scenario images of: architecture, fashion, commercial, art reproduction etc. They are probably spending millions of dollars on research and development, can't they spear a bit on brochure images? ... unless there are such images in which case why are we analyzing this ones as if this was yet another OJ trial?

As a side thought it is interesting to see all this interest in MF after the introduction of the supposed MF killer (the Mk3), no?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How backward is this?

But maybe a couple snaps would cold down interest:

I don't know about you guys but the skin tones on the following LL testshot shot with a e75 or e54 back don't appeal to me. They scare me off. And I constantly hear how great the skintones are supposed to be with the e75. It looks flat and monochromatic to me.

model-34.jpg

This Picture came from LL and I have already remarked that it may not be a fair test of the back since as MR points out he is not entirely familiar with the software. However, this one point is critical.

If the values of the Gretag MacBeth chart are correct then for sure the the girl has the weirdest skin color I've seen in a long time. Sometimes in an event I have had a picture to take of an elderly lady who looks like she has been dead for 12 years and a ruddy complexioned man who's nose is lit up from 12 drinks before he even arrived. It looks like the model here is the heir of that old lady! Maybe that's natural, but I do suspect that it's her makeup since her arms look pretty fine to me!

A snap with any digicam would confirm my suspcions and someone check the RGB values of the GM card. In any case, this is an unfortunate picture.

Asher

Eric Hiss

Why not use the files provided by Thierry to judge color?

Hi Asher,
It's obvious from the black white and grey chips on the Gretag Macbeth chart in the photo that the white balance is not right so I can't imagine that the skin is right either. But Thierry has provided many nice files for us to examine and the skin looks fine in those to me. I know that Michael Reichman is not one to make such a mistake but perhaps there was a problem with the color profile tagging or something else wrong with those.

Eric