• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Motherhood

Rachel Foster

forpost.jpg

ISO 250, f/4.0, 1/40.

I am attempting to show some of the emotional and physical realities of motherhood. I've processed it heavily ("burned" the highlights) to remove the more sexual aspects of this image. I want nitty gritty, not sexy.

What do you think?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Rachel,

I don't see how there could be sexual aspects to this image in any way! There is no offering for partnering implied! Sexually charged images have some implied mating possibility. This is not that kind of picture so it's shortchanging the subject to demolish the tonality to try to sanitize it. It'd sad that we have societal values that would look at such a picture and even imagine it might be provocative.

Well, what about this picture, does it work after being laundered!

Well, yes, this picture is still interesting. It shows the reality of the physicality of pregnancy on a woman. The heavy weight, a burden that must be carried to term. Here expression also tells us that she feels this right now and will bear it.

I'd love to see the picture with all the lighting celebrating her!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Asher. I showed the original to a few folks and it seemed to make them uncomfortable, and there was a suggestion it was too erotic. The model is fine with either version so I'll post the less processed one too.

Rachel Foster

I may remove this if I decide it's too sexualized. I think it shows the mother as a whole person -- and that includes her as a sexual being -- and I'm a bit uneasy with that. I repeat, the model is fine with it, but I'm hesitant.

staceyminored-1.jpg

Sexualized?? No.. What I see is a woman who is thinking.. "Just wait until I get the SOB that did this to me. My back hurts, my front is stretched beyond belief and the whole thing sucks...... " I am sure she will be able to use this photo to scare the heck out of any daughter she has.. "This is what will happen to you if you mess around"........ If that is what you what you where really going for.. you got it.. There is nothing I can see as sexual in either version.. I am sure the father thinks otherwise.
Father of 2 sons, at both births and the SOB (after 12hrs in labor) that did it.. been there done that....
Duke

I like your portrait and allways astonished about the courage and the craft of the mother.

Wish many strength and hope the future may be bright for you!

Jan van den Bos

I personally like the color version much more than the B&W. Having fathered two beautiful children myself, I know full well the changes that go on during the process. This one, to me anyway, shows not only the beautiful, soft side of the condition, but it also shows hints of the pain and sacrifice she is surely about to endure. The expression on her face is definitely not a soft, motherly love kind of vision. I completely understand it too. I think my wife had similar expressions and I am pretty sure I did too. I like this a lot.
James Newman

Charlotte Thompson

staceyminored-1.jpg

I Rachel,

I just revisited this interesting picture of yours and like the work. However, some subject like this, IMHO, can't stand alone very well and is best past of a series. You seems to have an insight into the subject, but one image doesn't showcase too well. This is not meant to be a negative rather a encouragement to take this further. Of course, the good lady might have delivered by now. Still, the concept is doable and is worthy of investing your energies. I think you will do an excellent job.

Asher

BTW, the end of the curve of the abdomen is sliced off in this image. any others? Any other compositions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandra Jones

I like the first picture you posted, Rachel. I'm glad you chose to show the 'pain' associated with pregnancy rather than the usual 'bliss' most photographers capture. Pregnancy can certainly be a blissful time but few show the misery that is also felt. The starkness of your image emanates the pain. Well done.

Charlotte Thompson

Rachel

I do remember this-
and as women we know the pain of labor

this almost is too hard-as if she is " I think pulling herself up from something" with the largeness of it all-
great capture " that"
maybe- you have a talent with this genre_ dunno- but "expression" is our god" I am so glad nature has eliminated me from this song*

Charlotte-

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Don't want to sound rude, but you know, written words are very susceptible to misunderstoods due the lack of phonetic and accents, so the reader puts that in relation to how it feels.

I think the image is too obvious. It shows too much. The black ribbon seems having no more function than covering her teets. The ribbon looks like it was put to add something more to the image, but it doesn't achieve the goal of that. In counterpart, it feeds the feeling of a bad thought and then taken picture.

I think you should think a bit more what you want to represent in order to enrich the image. Add more stuff related to what you want to say. When I see the picture, I see a mother with a black ribbon. That's all what I see. Of course, I know what's your intention with this image, but the concept needs to be more obvious, not the image.

Also, the light is quite straight foward. It's your pen and your best friend, it needs to be handled with care.

Ø3

Asher Kelman

When I see the picture, I see a mother with a black ribbon. That's all what I see. Of course, I know what's your intention with this image, but the concept needs to be more obvious, not the image.

Leonardo,

Funny thing, I never noticed the black ribbon until now, not at all. At least that's what I remember. I hope I didn't write about it, I'll have to check!

I just saw her face soldiering through the discomfort,

Asher

Nigel Allan

I've just come across this and couldn't help having a giggle, Rachel. yes you must live in a very very very small town indeed :) Maybe it's that background that caused you and I to differ so much in our appreciation of the photo of Jean Harlow in another thread...you really must get out in the world more :) :)

Sorry, I am laughing as I write this...no offense.

Sexual? Well I suppose it is if you get turned on by a woman with serious backpain grimacing and screaming "leave me f***ing alone. You don't know what's it like to be a woman."

Best laugh I've had all night, thanks...and yes, ribbon aside, you have captured the pain of pregnancy for a change instead of the usual rose-tinted version

fahim mohammed

Hi Rachel. Sometime back I commented on a similar photograph of a pregnant lady in OPF. Your
photograph raises the same concerns with me.

I believe pregnancy is something private and while the pain associated with it cannot be fully comprehended by another ( man or woman...my mother was a gynae surgeon ); it is a private matter within the family.s I will be the first to accept that my view are shaped by my traditions, cultural and religious beliefs, however I do feel that photographs such as these belittle the courage, patience and honor possessed by women. That they undergo such hardship willingly is to be admired, respected but
not exhibited to the general public in the manner of this photograph.

It is not a criticism, but I don't think a partially unclothed pregnant woman adds ( or subtracts ) from the dangers, pain and physical and mental anguish that a child bearing woman patiently and willingly
bears.

These is my opinion and I do respect opinions contrary to mine; but might not necessarily be convinced
of their validity.
To each his/her own.

Best regards.

Rachel Foster

I understand your feelings, Fahim, and they might color my dissatisfaction with this image. Maybe that's what I meant when I said I worried it was too sexualized. Rather than sexualized perhaps what I was feeling was intrusive. Something about it is off.

And yet, playing devil's advocate, pregnancy is a beautiful, natural state. Why should we feel the need to hide the pregnant woman's body?

It's a complex issue and I don't entirely understand my reactions and feelings to it.

fahim mohammed

Rachel, I agree with you totally. Pregnancy is a wonderful thing ( except maybe for the woman who goes
thru it with patience and courage ). I do not want a woman to hide her pregnancy, only how physical she
gets in her display of it and to whom.

My love for my wife was never greater than when she was pregnant and neither was she ever more
beautiful.

Thanks Rachel, take care and stay well.

Rachel Foster

Thanks, Fahim, same to you. I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts and feelings, even while knowing I might take them amiss. I'm not sure this will make sense, but I take your willingness to take the risk as a great compliment.

I have given birth twice. It was the hardest, most sacred thing I've ever done. Both births were terribly hard. The second time left me in ICU. I am grateful to my children that I had the opportunity to do something so challenging, so rewarding; something that allowed me to transcend myself and (forgive the overblown, treacly sentiment) allowed me for a short while to dance with the angels, as it were. To understand the beauty of giving birth, we need to try to understand some of the pain. After all, if it were easy, would it mean as much?

Nigel Allan

Thanks, Fahim, same to you. I appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts and feelings, even while knowing I might take them amiss. I'm not sure this will make sense, but I take your willingness to take the risk as a great compliment.

I have given birth twice. It was the hardest, most sacred thing I've ever done. Both births were terribly hard. The second time left me in ICU. I am grateful to my children that I had the opportunity to do something so challenging, so rewarding; something that allowed me to transcend myself and (forgive the overblown, treacly sentiment) allowed me for a short while to dance with the angels, as it were. To understand the beauty of giving birth, we need to try to understand some of the pain. After all, if it were easy, would it mean as much?

If it were easy it wouldn't be called LABOUR

And the physical repercussions?...It plays havoc with your figure...I have to say that I have gained an inch on my waist for each child we've had! :)

Asher Kelman

I may remove this if I decide it's too sexualized. I think it shows the mother as a whole person -- and that includes her as a sexual being -- and I'm a bit uneasy with that. I repeat, the model is fine with it, but I'm hesitant.

staceyminored-1.jpg

This, Rachel s something I've been meaning to come back to for some time. It's a tough mage and must be part of the truth of pregnancy we like to forget about. I'd like to see further attempts at portraying the pregnant woman. Here there's discomfort and then the scarf. I'm not saying there should be no pain or she should be nude!

There's a lot more to explore in order to present the pregnant woman. Maybe she needs to be presented over a course of a seres of pictures. What might be missing? Not that this picture is wrong. It is what it is, one look through a peephole. But isn't there there joy too?

Surely, Rachel, you took others at this shoot! Any chance?

Asher