• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My first steps...

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

My photography has taken two nice little steps forward this week.

Firstly I have sold my first print! Previously my images have only ended up with friends and family, but this was my first sale. I like the thought of one of my images hanging on someone's wall - it feels good and makes me want to sell some more!

On my website I've now finally got around to adding an online purchase system - I've opted for paypal at the moment, would be interested to hear thoughts from others who have gone down this route. I'd also be interested to hear anyone's thoughts on how well it seems integrated on my site - anything I should look to change?

If I want to take things further I think it's time for me to read some information on marketing. Beginning to realize that I have lots of catching up to do on the business side of things, but should be good to learn some new skills.

Thanks,

Tim Armes

Well done Andrew,

I hope that things continue in this direction for you.

I've taken a look at your site and I think you have some lovely shots. However I personally feel that you're underselling yourself; 20 UKP for a print is nothing.

Also, do you really want to be selling unmounted prints? I wonder if any feeling of quality will come through to the buyer when then receive a 20 pound unmounted print..

Just food for thought.

Tim

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Jan / Tim thanks for the comments.

The whole pricing thing is something new to me. Obviously I don't want to undersell myself, but I am currently wary of charging too much.

At the moment most of my prints are done by a lab, albeit one that I know I have so far got consistent colour accuracy from. Next year I want to move to my own printing giving me more control and choice of papers - at which point I would be offering a higher quality of product and would want to increase my prices accordingly.

Tim - your point about offering unmounted prints is interesting. I can definitely see what you mean about the difference between opening a simple print and a well mounted photograph. I know which I would be more impressed with.

But at the same time, would removing the offer of simple prints also remove some potential customers?

I guess I lots of tricky questions to answer over the next few months, but will have some fun doing so!

Cheers,