• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Our home galaxy

Jarmo Juntunen

Milky way shot at Lake Muuratjärvi Sept 9, 2023.

Syyskuun%20t%C3%A4htiy%C3%B6-4.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Jarmo,

.your picture of thr Milky Way is awe inspiring! Kudos!

Tell us more about your visit to the lake and how you planned and set up for this magnificent shot.

Here’s a great reference to those who want to know more about our home galaxy!

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, this was an easy set up, if shooting night skies ever is. It was shot at our summer cabin at around 11 pm. Early September to late October is supposed to be best season to observe the Milky Way in northern Europe. Our cabin is a surprisingly pleasing location for star spotting, light pollution is an issue but luckily Milky Way rises from a ”darker” direction.

Jarmo Juntunen

Asher, it’s an old summer house that belongs to my wife’s family. It was built by her grandfather in the mid-50’s as a summer get-away. Back then people grew food at their cottages and fished to add to their winter diets (yes, shops were around already then, but still). Our generation is lazier and we go the cabin just for fun. I`ll see if I can find a few shots to post.