• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Perfect Black & White

Robert Watcher

every once in a while I come across something that just blows my mind. This concept related to Colours converted to Black and White, was very surprising. Something I had no idea about.

Very valuable are the colour value percentages included in the video, that get you to the starting point of perfect black and white tonality as perceived by our eyes.

This is related to using Affinity Photo to convert to B&W using the Black and White Adjustment Layer. I think other programs may have settings baked in to their conversions that allow for this anomaly —- but appreciate knowing the theory of this.

Last edited:

Robert Watcher

I was going to see how this all applied on Affinity Photo on my desktop computer, but wondered how challenging it would be on my iPad.

This snapshot of my oldest son and his wife, from early last year, was already sitting there in Affinity Photo - so I just used it. This colour reference is the last pic here.

First pic is the standard Black & White adjustment, Second is using the Colour percentage numbers for perceived values, (saved that as a Preset called Perfect Black and White - which I haven’t done before with Photo - and then tried to find where the Preset was located), Third I also added a Brightness and Contrast Adjustment layer to tweak the tonality a little bit.

——-

I know that I had tried converting to B&W on a couple of occasions using the Black & White Adjustment, but did not like the results —— so gave up using Affinity for that. The insights in the video, will be useful

D86267FE-7A3C-408A-A760-5AD57644D4E4.jpeg

5CA9968F-9D75-470D-9C13-F53A2DF3FB59.jpeg

64E483EC-740A-415B-8186-F1252C12BB0A.jpeg

22BA5073-87EE-4DAF-B68C-BB92A578844D.jpeg

Last edited: