• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Seeing Like a Master: The March 30th 2007 Briot Article Examined.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Why do we buy cameras and lenses and discuss the nuances of equipment choice? Isn't it just to get the tools to do a job for a client perfectly or to implement out artistic vision?

We try to balance equipment, (which I love), with, real photography which is even more important! To this end I have asked a number of photographers to tell us how they feel we should define and implement a personal artistic vision

Alain's contribution is found here and is a great set of ideas with relevence to photography even beyond just landscape work.

How does this fit in with your own ideas? What do you find particularly useful?

I look forward to your feedback!

Asher

Chuck Bragg

Must-read article

Alain's article is *fantastic*. He has done a wonderful job explaining what an artist is and how to strive to be one. I am not an artist, merely someone who enjoys photography and tries to take and develop photos that, when shared, do not cause people to run for the door. In itself this is a difficult task. I don't know if it's in me to dedicate myself in the manner Alain describes, but it's a good road to travel on even if I never get there.

Although it's been said before I was especially taken by his musings on vision and seeing. I don't have what he calls a "vision." Guess I'd better start working on one. I work very hard at seeing, and I have to say I see better now than I did 50 years ago. And my mother said I'd never amount to anything. Hah!

IMHO anyone, even a non-photographer, can read this article and learn from it. Wow.

Alain Briot

pro member
Thank you. I am currently working on a series of essays on inspiration, creativity, vision and personal style. The first one, Finding Inspiration, is completed. The three others will follow.

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I salute Alain for writing this piece. I agree with many of his points and suggestions. I also disagree with many. But that doesn't matter. If the article plants seeds that help someone grow their enjoyment of photography more power to it!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I salute Alain for writing this piece. I agree with many of his points and suggestions. I also disagree with many. But that doesn't matter. If the article plants seeds that help someone grow their enjoyment of photography more power to it!

Not so fast, Ken!

I love the idea that you find the article might inspire. That's my hope too.

However, don't gloss over points of disagreement! We need to celebrate that!

It is where there is not fit that often we can find new insights.

Can you share what works and doesn't work? That's what we call great feedback. After all we are all learning!

Asher