• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Seeing more

Tom dinning

Registrant*
It's difficult but rewarding to see more, see what could be, not what should be.
The barriers to insight are from within.
Rejection by oneself often prevents the next step.

B22C1192-C54B-49B6-8B65-039B7B206C98.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

This is a classic: a compelling subject and exclusion of the unnecessary.

This is already an image that allows me to think unemcombored by distractions. I am intrigued that you had more in your mind!

I won’t say “I like it”, have no fear! But I am impressed by the mood and solitude.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I'm entering hostile territory, in mind and photography. I seek less of detail and more of ... that I haven't figured out.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Everything becomes a metaphor.
If I look hard enough I can see what it would be.
I fear it will become what I profesize

"For a time, only that passage, appearing to prophesize his death, could be found".— Paul Stekler

_DSC1097.jpg

Jerome Marot

"For a time, only that passage, appearing to prophesize his death, could be found".— Paul Stekler

The linked Orlando sentinel cannot be accessed from European countries. I would be grateful if someone could tell me what the linked article says. A quick search about Paul Stekler teaches me he is a doumentary filmmaker.

Charlotte Thompson

Tom
These are really jumping right at me! Really Nice work, Is the first work vintage and you applied art on it ? Either way it has a divinity to because of its voice. It is alone unto itself... The second is a strong play of color. Attention getting and very nice just by its Aloneness

Charlotte

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

I copied the text. The video is a technical challenge I will address later.

“Commentary: King wanted the poor to reach 'the promised land.' His call remains unanswered
Remembering MLK 50 years later: Irving Phillips Jr.

Irving Phillips Jr., the Sun's first black photographer, talks about his experiences as a photographer for the Afro-American during the Baltimore riots following the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (Lloyd Fox, Baltimore Sun video)
Paul SteklerWashington Post News Service

Fifty years ago this week, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. gave one of the best known, yet mostly unheard speeches in American history, his "Mountaintop" speech. He spoke for more than 40 minutes, but only his concluding lines, about looking off into a promised land he might not reach, are widely remembered. For a time, only that passage, appearing to prophesize his death, could be found. But perceived in its original context, his speech is about much more than King's life and fate. It was a call for economic justice in the United States, a call that remains relevant today.

By 1968, King had become someone very different from the man who gave the "I Have a Dream" speech at the March on Washington in 1963. He had begun talking about solutions to poverty and planning for a Poor People's March on Washington. He was called to Memphis to support striking African American sanitation workers making barely a dollar an hour and unable to get recognition for their union. They carried placards with the simple message "I Am a Man."

Local organizers soon lost control of a march, which erupted into violence. The disturbance led to negative media coverage of both the strike and King's planned march in Washington. On the stormy night of April 3, in front of a small crowd at Memphis' cavernous Mason Temple, he spoke.

Years later, I was part of a team working on "Eyes on the Prize," Harry Hampton's civil rights series for PBS. To tell the story of the Memphis strike, we were lucky to find an archive of local news footage, thrown out by the stations and literally rescued from their trash cans by area activists. While there was audio of the entire Mountaintop speech, we were surprised that our initial search turned up just a few minutes of film, mostly the speech's conclusion.

Over the next year, we found more footage, often snippets discovered in mislabeled or unidentified boxes. Ultimately, we included every bit of what we had found for an early rough-cut screening, knowing we'd have to cut it down for our final broadcast hour. Though we eventually used only about two minutes, not a single person at that screening suggested cutting a frame of King's speech. It was that powerful.

Most Americans are familiar with the last 60 seconds of the speech, with its famous declarations "I've been to the mountaintop" and "I've seen the promised land." But the full speech included a call for economic justice in language that portended the man he might have lived to become. King spoke of the arc of history and his happiness at being alive during a human rights revolution to stand up for workers in Memphis. Beyond nonviolent protest, he urged boycotts against businesses that tolerated injustice, and he called those businesses out by name.”

Jerome Marot

Thank you, Asher.

Asa European, I realise I know very little about Martin Luther King. This text prompts me to look more into that particular segment of history. The fight for social justice for black Americans seem to have extended to wider segments of the population. I am painfully aware that, even if I am considered a member of the happy few by many, the social classes to which I and my children belong are sliding towards the lowest side of the spectrum and fast.

But I digress. The title of the thread is "seeing more". I noticed that part of the text was a link, so I saw that. I sometimes spread links in my post but rarely get comments about their content. Doug noticed the Seal / Stamp at the lower right of the image. What does it mean?

Asher Kelman

This “sliding towards the lowest side of the spectrum”, does it explain the rise in nationalism and xenophobia?

In the USA while the Stock market is delivering record returns, the former middle class have little to no slice of that fortune.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom
These are really jumping right at me! Really Nice work, Is the first work vintage and you applied art on it ? Either way it has a divinity to because of its voice. It is alone unto itself... The second is a strong play of color. Attention getting and very nice just by its Aloneness

Charlotte

Jumping is good, Charlotte. More to come, with you whispering over my shoulder: “Take the next step”.

Only my photographs were harmed in the process. I’m the only vintage participant.

The second is the elevator to the theatre in the local hospital. The surgeon allowed me to take one last picture before he and I became sterile and I was induced into a blackness from which I was unsure of returning. His last patient died on the table.

Hence the quote from Stekler.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Jerome,

I copied the text. The video is a technical challenge I will address later.

“Commentary: King wanted the poor to reach 'the promised land.' His call remains unanswered
Remembering MLK 50 years later: Irving Phillips Jr.

And I thought I was verbose.

I removed the link from the quote in the hope that you wouldn’t be distracted by its origin.

Can you see how images and words allow us to expand our thoughts and venture into other territories?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thank you, Asher.

Asa European, I realise I know very little about Martin Luther King. This text prompts me to look more into that particular segment of history. The fight for social justice for black Americans seem to have extended to wider segments of the population. I am painfully aware that, even if I am considered a member of the happy few by many, the social classes to which I and my children belong are sliding towards the lowest side of the spectrum and fast.

But I digress. The title of the thread is "seeing more". I noticed that part of the text was a link, so I saw that. I sometimes spread links in my post but rarely get comments about their content. Doug noticed the Seal / Stamp at the lower right of the image. What does it mean?

Just me being artsy farts, Jerome. I want to hang a few shots in my ‘shed’. It’s amazing what mischief an idle person came up with.
I was doing some calligraphy and got channelled by Wang Xizhi.

Jerome Marot

This does not appear to be about seeing, but about solving riddles. Anyway, when I saw the first image, I wondered what attracted the birds. I supposed it was a fishing boat, but maybe something more sinister is at play.

Michael Nagel

The second is the elevator to the theatre in the local hospital. The surgeon allowed me to take one last picture before he and I became sterile and I was induced into a blackness from which I was unsure of returning.
Glad you returned.

Focus on the essential is rewarding.
It also makes room for interpretation when the context of the viewer does not match the intention of the picture as seen by the photographer.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Glad you returned.

Focus on the essential is rewarding.
It also makes room for interpretation when the context of the viewer does not match the intention of the picture as seen by the photographer.
Thanks Michael, although you might need to thank Asher for my return.

My intention often changes as I become the viewer as well. Shifting thoughts, changing attitudes, new circumstances, ageing, all contribute to a new interpretation of old images.
I think it’s called changing my mind.

Asher Kelman

This does not appear to be about seeing, but about solving riddles. Anyway, when I saw the first image, I wondered what attracted the birds. I supposed it was a fishing boat, but maybe something more sinister is at play.

Jerome,

Is Art, since the 18th Century, more often about “solving riddles” of life

(......as opposed to making statements of facts, like “the kings victory in battle”, or a passage in the Bible we should have admiration and respect for)?

The artist might leave a gap for us to fill in or craft a title that forces us to hunt for an explanation to bring the components together.

In ancient times, we had a statue of Caesar, which meant, I am Emperor, don’t mess with me!

Ashef

Jerome Marot

Is Art, since the 18th Century, more often about “solving riddles” of life
(......as opposed to making statements of facts, like “the kings victory in battle”, or a passage in the Bible we should have admiration and respect for)?

You may be thinking about philosophy.

Asher Kelman

At the very extremes, Yes, Jerome, I am thinking of giant canvasses with black blotches like the Rorschach tests!

But much of modern art provides us with incomplete visions and allows us to bring our own experience to find the total story.

However, folk still make exact pictures of crystal wine glasses and automobiles or $30,000 watches. There is no puzzle at all.

Art is especially intriguing when we are not certain what the artist must have intended.

Asher

Jerome Marot

At the very extremes, Yes, Jerome, I am thinking of giant canvasses with black blotches like the Rorschach tests!

But much of modern art provides us with incomplete visions and allows us to bring our own experience to find the total story.

However, folk still make exact pictures of crystal wine glasses and automobiles or $30,000 watches. There is no puzzle at all.

Art is especially intriguing when we are not certain what the artist must have intended.

Asher

Or is it?

Let me recapitulate: we know "learning to see". The next step would be "learning to show". Are you talking about "learning to confuse"?

Asher Kelman

Or is it?

Let me recapitulate: we know "learning to see". The next step would be "learning to show". Are you talking about "learning to confuse"?
Perhaps, Jerome, artists already know that crossword puzzles are popular and fascinating.

Life is already confusing. Perhaps part of Art is to have us muse on interesting aspects of life and merely offer us up a set of elements, for which there is perhaps a hidden explanation, an invitation to move accepted boundaries or even just entertaining confusion as a mesmerizing unsolvable puzzle!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
I’m OK with all of the above.

As for life, it’s not confusing, yet I am confused. My aim would be to understand why I perceive life as confusing where others might not.

The image is just that. Nothing more. We think on it differently at different times and places. Each think of it in different ways.
This image, and others I produce are the result of actions brought about by current thinking. Most of the time I am confused. I ask myself questions I wish to answer though the image. I rarely succeed.

The presentation is for fun. I’m laughing at myself. If others ‘get it’ they only get their own version. I’m interested in hearing their response but invariably it doesn’t help me resolve my own inquiry.

Perhaps everything is puzzling at first. It’s in our nature to understand.

Thank you
To

Jerome Marot

That’s true, Jerome. I have a brain.
What implications does this have in understanding those parts of life I find confusing?
If you have a divinities set of rules or guidelines I’ll buy them from you.
That is not the question you asked originally. For that new question, other people argued that the answer is 42.