• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Travelog: Visiting Overland Park Kansas with the Canon 1.2L: The Arboretum.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I was given a list by Julia Biliia, the Recreation Supervisor of ther City of Overland Park gave me a short list of "must visit" places. The first was the Arboretum.

There are so many themeed gardens, a prairie, a model railroad for kids and many woods paths to get lost in, ocassionally coming across another lake.

[Group 0]-IMG_1625_IMG_1626-2 images copy copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: French Romance in Kansas

Canon 6D, 50 1.2L
Topaz Impression

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

the "painting" is grand

Thanks, Steven.

Here below are official Arboretum pictures from their catalog to give an indication of the philosophy behind their efforts at elcoming folk. Note: the next five pictures are from the City's website!https://www.opkansas.org/things-to-see-and-do/arboretum-and-botanical-gardens/

Welcoming-Garden-square.jpg

City of Overland Park Kansas: Welcoming Garden

Lakeside-Ampitheater-square.jpg

City of Overland Park Kansas: Lakeside Ampitheatern

Childrens-Discovery-Garden-square.jpg

City of Overland Park Kansas: Childrens' Discovery Garden

Asher Kelman

The place is vast. One can go on a hike through woods. or just amble around lakes with turtles sunning and named exotic trees and plants all around. There are volunteers at a welcome lodge to help guide visitors to each patrons interests. For me it was to capture flowers and the waters before the sun sets.

Screen Shot 2017-09-04 at 10.36.53 AM.jpg

City of Overland Park Kansas: Tour Map of Arboretum and Hiking Trails

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Now around the lakes:

[Group 25]-IMG_2021_IMG_2029_Waterfall Square copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waterfall

9 Images stitched in AutoPano Giga

Far, later in the day, simply walking far on the far side, one can still include the waterfall, but, now the sun iat a lower angle and the colors are far richer! I have taken this further with an added warm hue. This makes up for the sky being totally devoid of clouds!

FLAT_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Wide view of Lake with Water fall

9 Images stitched in AutoPano Giga

Yes, this is an amazingly well cared for horticultural garden!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Some scenes take a lot of overlapping shots when one just has one lens.However, I do not use a tripod, just a reasonable hand-held speed with no need for image stabilization.

[Group 10]-IMG_1666_IMG_1715-50 images_0000 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Panoramic view of one lakeside garden.

Arboretum, City of Oveland Park, Kansas, 2017
50 Stitched images with Autopano Giga
Clarity filter by topaz

[Group 17]-IMG_1815_IMG_1821-7 images_Edited_flat 800pxl.jpg

Asher Kelman: Panoramic view of Grassland

Clarity filter by topaz

[Group 13]-IMG_1773_IMG_1790-18 images_0000 800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Panoramic view Bridge and Reflections in Pool

18 Images Stitched in Autopano giga,
Clarity filter by topaz

The availability of the landscape, with all the flowers, trees, lakes, wooden bridges in shaded glens, gushing springs and waterfalls is such a blessing to all who visit. It is very relaxing and the place is so large that one can find solace too!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

This is just a scouting trip so no filters for the sky.

Autumn will be far better!

Keep watching, more to come, I promise!

Asher

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Thank you for this treat of beautiful pix from a beautiful place.

The pano work is very craftsmanlike. Still, perhaps it is a result of the projection used, but somehow these make me a little "queasy", as if this isn't really what the scene would look like to me if seen directly. Perhaps this is just the curse of the engineer.

In any case, these are beautiful pieces. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Thank you for this treat of beautiful pix from a beautiful place.

The pano work is very craftsmanlike. Still, perhaps it is a result of the projection used, but somehow these make me a little "queasy", as if this isn't really what the scene would look like to me if seen directly. Perhaps this is just the curse of the engineer.

In any case, these are beautiful pieces. Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Well, for a start, the field of view is rather greater than that of the human eye, so there is compression. So it's more like looking at the views from your private helicopter. Then it's quite realistic! ?

Except I admit artistic license when I added a Sienna evening light to the one scene by the lake surounded by flowers. I couldn't resist!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Well Doug,

You had a problem with wider views. I acrtually prefer some width, as we are more confortable knowing what is next to what we are interested in, unless we are going for the kill!

Nine 50mm 1.2L Canon 5D Images stitched in AutoPano Giga

Here, for you a narrower viewpoint, processed separately as a new image, without reference to hte one above.

[Group 1]-IMG_2021_IMG_2022-2 images_0000-Waterfall 600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waterfall at Overland Park Arboretum

Just 2 adjacent 50mm 1.2L shots stitched in Autopano Giga
Topaz Clarity

Is this a little easier on the eye? To me, the wider viewer above is less clinical and more relaxed. Perhaps you agree with me here and are objecting to ultra superwide views.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I was given a list by Julia Biliia, the Recreation Supervisor of ther City of Overland Park gave me a short list of "must visit" places. The first was the Arboretum.

There are so many themeed gardens, a prairie, a model railroad for kids and many woods paths to get lost in, ocassionally coming across another lake.

[Group 0]-IMG_1625_IMG_1626-2 images copy copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: French Romance in Kansas

Canon 6D, 50 1.2L
Topaz Impression

Thai is just exquisite. The "painted" effect is just right.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Well Doug,

You had a problem with wider views. I acrtually prefer some width, as we are more confortable knowing what is next to what we are interested in, unless we are going for the kill!

Nine 50mm 1.2L Canon 5D Images stitched in AutoPano Giga

Here, for you a narrower viewpoint, processed separately as a new image, without reference to hte one above.

[Group 1]-IMG_2021_IMG_2022-2 images_0000-Waterfall 600.jpg

Asher Kelman: Waterfall at Overland Park Arboretum

Just 2 adjacent 50mm 1.2L shots stitched in Autopano Giga
Topaz Clarity

Those are both quite nice, and indeed I have less of a "credibility" problem with them than with some of the wider works.

For some reason the second seems to have less "sharpness" than the first.

But in any case, I prefer the first one for its wider scope.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

That's a grand collection of photos, Asher. I especially liked Lakeside Amphitheater.

Thanks, Tom!

I really enjoyed the visit. It's commendable that the City considers protected open spaces so valuable that it invests in the upkeep and monitoring of so many different tree and plant species.

Asher

Asher Kelman

This is one view across one of the lakes, way beyond the turtles. (which I will post shortly)

[Group 0]-IMG_1741_IMG_1742-2_800.jpg

Asher Kelman: Lakeside Beyond the Turtles

Autopano Giga Stitch of 2 jpg shots Canon 6D 50m 1.2L
Topaz Clarity

I have also used this one landscape picture to show the effects of a number of ddigital filters in enhancing the digital image.

I hope you find the results enjoyable.

Asher

Asher Kelman

It was later, and everyone was returning to get to the gates before they locked up at dusk. I was taken by this couple, very loving enjoying the walk back by the edge of a lake, every so often pausing to take in one last view of the light over the water.

IMG_17292_lighting adjustment in curves.jpg

Asher Kelman: Couple Strolling at Sunset #1
Overland Arboretum, September 2017
Canon 5DII 50mm 1.2L

I analyse the options for processing this image here.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Here is a picture made from 65 handheld overlapping frames. For speed, I use out of the camera jpg files and this is my first quick process. No fancy filters used. Just careful adjustments in exposure.

[Group 0]-IMG_1664_IMG_1742-65 images_Stream copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Stream with Water Lillies
Overland Arboretum, September 2017
Canon 5DII 50mm 1.2L
65 jpg stitched in Autopano Giga, adjusted
locallyfor exposure in Photoshhop CC 2017
Topaz Adjust for final exposure optimization

As I love this I will carefully repeat it processed from the larger and richer RAW files and then recover the detail on the several rocks on the right which are over exposed in the simpler jpg files. Hopefully I will return many times to Overland Park and repeat this with a wide angle lens and a tripod support! What would I do for one giant dragonfly and a happy frog! This should then make a very large and detailed print which I will cherish.

Asher