• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Water transportation: boats, ships, barges, harbours, sluices, etc.

James Cook

A very nice picture. But the skewed horizon is a bit distractive.

Thanks, Cem. I always appreciate your work so your compliments are also appreciated.

Skewed horizons are among my pet peeves, but I don't think this one is skewed at all. It's probably an optical illusion by the way the far banks curve away behind the tug. (actually there's a river exiting the lake behind the smoke stack) If you check roof lines in the buildings, I think you'll see that the image has been very carefuly straightened when I processed it.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi James,

Thanks, Cem. I always appreciate your work so your compliments are also appreciated.

Skewed horizons are among my pet peeves, but I don't think this one is skewed at all. It's probably an optical illusion by the way the far banks curve away behind the tug. (actually there's a river exiting the lake behind the smoke stack) If you check roof lines in the buildings, I think you'll see that the image has been very carefuly straightened when I processed it.
Thanks for the kind words, I am humbled.

Re. the horizon, I stand corrected. It is very easy to think that the horizon is skewed for the reasons you have mentioned. But the picture is and remains great. The colors and the composition are top notch!

Martin Evans

Checking the lifeboats on MS Polarlys

lifeboatcheck.jpg

No artistic merit in this one: just topical (re the Costa Concordia sinking).

The Norwegian coastal ferry service (Hurtigruten) carries passengers, holidaymakers and cargo up and down the Norwegian coast daily. There is careful attention to safety at sea on every trip.

This was just a holiday snapshot, with a Canon Powershot A620. f/4.0, 1/100.​

Martin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
lifeboatcheck.jpg

The Norwegian coastal ferry service (Hurtigruten) carries passengers, holidaymakers and cargo up and down the Norwegian coast daily. There is careful attention to safety at sea on every trip.

Martin

Tons of artistic merit here. A significant picture showing something important in a way that transcends it's local importance. It shows caring and responsibility. It has general interest far beyond being a holiday memento. Yes it's a snap, but a very good one!

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

lifeboatcheck.jpg

Martin
Nice one Martin, thanks for sharing. This has reminded me of the fact that I have taken some pictures in 1987 of the MS Herald of Free Enterprise lying on her side at the Zeebrugge harbour. Now only if I could remember where those pictures are....

Ron Morse

I hope I'm not doing wrong putting a series. Feel free to move to where ever is appropriate, if so

These were all but one taken from the Penobscot narrows observatory. A link.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/parksinfo/observatory/

I found these will organizing my negatives.

Canon A1 Kodak ultramax. A lot of reflections from the observatory glass in most of these pictures.

A tanker unloading at the ST. Regis paper mill Bucksport, Maine
FD n 135 f/2.8

Tugs turning the tanker. From the observatory. FD n 50 f/1.4

Going under the observatory bridge.

Almost to Penobscot bay and the open Atlantic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

A few from somewhere in Seattle. There's so much water there that I've forgotten exactly where.

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

Loading with grain.​

Regards,

Stuart

Stuart,

I've never been to Seattle except to fly in and out to conferences downtown. These are monumental ships and cranes, an entirely different work environment to what I'm used to. Somehow, I'd love to see everything freshly painted, but no one is going to care what I think. I wonder whether different ports have specific rules for how the appearance of the gear is maintained. Of course, it does not likely matter, but in the case of the bridges in San Francisco, the steelwork is painted throughout the year, almost non-stop!

I'll have to visit the port of Los Angeles and see how rusty it is, LOL.

Asher

Asher Kelman

I hope I'm not doing wrong putting a series. Feel free to move to where ever is appropriate, if so

These were all but one taken from the Penobscot narrows observatory. A link.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/parksinfo/observatory/

I found these will organizing my negatives.

Canon A1 Kodak ultramax. A lot of reflections from the observatory glass in most of these pictures.

What a little treasure trove you have! To think you couldn't chimp the pictures then? Why are they so good?

Almost to Penobscot bay and the open Atlantic.

This one gives the impression of shipping being so at one with nature. It's as it is as natural as a leaf floating down a stream of water after the rain.

Well done!

Asher

Asher Kelman

It is always a pleasure to see large ships.

Here is a small boat for fishing on a lake.

Best regards,
Michael

So many different styles here, but yours Michael, seem to stand out for an extra level of humor and humanity. I look at a picture and think, "Michael's?" and I'm correct. Such a wide variety of styles in this rich thread. Cem's, of course are magnificent. Miss his work a lot!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

thanks, but I think that I still have a long way to go until I can rightfully claim a distinctive style of my own. I am already glad progressing from time to time.

There are two views from Venice that bear - for me - some relationship with this one. Maybe it is just for the similar sizes of the fishing boat and the gondola and a similar way of rowing.

The serene view (using the dreaded 50% horizon):

Traffic Jam in Venice:

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

thanks, but I think that I still have a long way to go until I can rightfully claim a distinctive style of my own. I am already glad progressing from time to time.

There are two views from Venice that bear - for me - some relationship with this one. Maybe it is just for the similar sizes of the fishing boat and the gondola and a similar way of rowing.

The serene view (using the dreaded 50% horizon):

Traffic Jam in Venice:

Even here, Michael, there's some feeling of a special zone of individual focus you have placed on the gondola men. It's an elegant something special you have innate in your choices.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Here in San Francisco for Father's Day. So there's a chance to just walk around and enjoy the waterfront across from the Hyatt Hotel. I show no people here, just an empty dock for passenger ferries at the Embarcadero in San Francisco Bay.

Pano_San francisco_0041266__0041273.jpg

Asher Kelman: View from the decks and boardwalk of fish restaurants of the Embarcadero

The Embarcadero is built on a sea wall on reclaimed land. Since the area is no longer used as a major port, it is perfect for both the dining pleasure of locals that work in the hi tech skyscrapers over the street as well as crowds of tourists. Behind us are diners feasting on raw oysters, fresh salmon black cod and so many other sea food favorites.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Then I noticed a lone seagull standing on the rail stanchion.

_0041282 1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Seagull at the Embarcadaro #1

_0041283 1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Seagull at the Embarcadaro #2

_0041284 1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Seagull at the Embarcadaro #3

_0041287 1.jpg

Asher Kelman: Seagull at the Embarcadaro #4

This chap seems to have little to no fear of man. In fact it's more at home here than even the giant ferry coming in behind it.

Asher

Robert Watcher

It is about time to revive this thread.

i09578.jpg

To my eye there is an illusion that you have added a layer in Photoshop, with the white symbol and numbers - - - and almost an appearance that the boat wall and anchor are a model sitting on a table with tan fur cloth. Those were my initial impressions. (this is good - not a criticism)

This is a great image for a number of reasons, Cem. The shadows are the key element for me, and the one below the anchor puts this one over the top. Absolutely excellent. If you publish a big ol' coffee table photo book one of these days, put this one on the cover.

Cem_Usakligil

Thanks Maggie, Rob and Tom, you are all very kind. :)

Speaking of models, just take a look of the depth scale to see how large this anchor really is.

Antonio Correia

You know... it was late evening at the beach. :)
The temperature was great for bath. So was the water :)
He went into the sea after he left his bicycle and shoes ashore.
He was doing yoga in the water some moments later ! :)

Last edited: