• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Warning: and are NSFW. Threads may start of as text only but then pictures could be added as part of a discussion or to make some point. This is not for family viewing without a parent's consent and supervision. If you are under age 18, please do not use this section
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What do the collective works of a photographer

fahim mohammed

indicate about the character and personality of that person. Combine that with the accompanying commentary( if any ), and over a period of time the inner person begins to be revealed.

Not one or two posted photographs..but some measure of work posted. The person's interests, thought processes, the environment that has shaped and/or continues to shape that person's world, the person's views of the world and how the person views himself/herself fitting in that world. And multiple other personality traits.

Just like collective writing and its nuances can indicate, to a fair extent, the character of a person..so can the collective photographic work of a person.

What do you think?

p.s the posted photographs, accompanying write-ups, and comments ( by themselves or taken in context ) on OPF itself would provide a fertile ground for such analysis. I have gone through most of the postings of active ( and some infrequent but of interest to me ) members of OPF..quite a few times.
Provides a good exercise for the curious. And remember one can fool some people all the time, and....
you know how this one goes.

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

An interesting question Fahim.

If someone had access to my complete Lightroom catalogue then they would be able to glean an awful lot about my life. Perhaps more than I would like them to know.

Limiting analysis to photos posted online would of course only tell a subset of that story, and one that perhaps offers more about how a person would like to be perceived as a photographer.

From my perspective I tend to post only sporadically in bursts (and sometimes feel guilty for that), and mostly landscape images, which is how I would position my main photographic interest if asked.

However my hard-drive is full of all sorts of other work - hundred of family photos, some bad and many that bring back happy memories. Lots of failed attempts as well, but these tend to be reserved for my own viewing only.

Perhaps there should be a thread where people post only photos that are not typical of their usual postings. Would make an interesting read and look.

Kind Regards,
Andrew.

fahim mohammed

Hi Andrew.
Thanks for your contribution.

Agreed, that postings on OPF represent what would be considered as ' insufficient ' sampling data in statistics. And yes, some persons might indeed be posting to deceive others by giving others a wrong perception of their ' real self '.

But just think about this. What a miserable existence that would be. Long time ago there used to be a British sitcom...' keeping up appearances '..it was a comedy but very pointed.

Let me take, as an example, Asher's postings. Being a moderator, he has to at least appear to be unbiased in his comments. This could be reflected in how he might respond to some thread/posts.

Or as another example..my postings. I re-read them all. Interesting to say the least. But then my view of myself would be biased and maybe way off the mark. Or would it?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Fahim and Andrew,

These are, so far, a great question and assertion as well as a substantially valid first response by Andrew which, likely as not, represents all of us.

For myself, I try to show a wide variety of images and sometimes, as in the thread on "Sequences" after Elliott Emmett, I, myself, make images I normally wouldn't venture to attempt. In addition I take risks, as in my pictures of women, sharing images that might make some folk uncomfortable. Generally, however, I filter my offerings and a lot of abstract work never appears.

Still, as you point out, Fahim, ultimately the combination of comments and shared images, (just as the sequential scenes in a dramatic play), remove the layers of the outside protective shells we surround and dress up our inner, actual person. Ultimately, as we react to conversations or new images, whether we realize it or not, our true natures get exposed!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Or the nature we wish to expose.
Ultimately we make choices. Which photo, what should I say? What should I expose? What should I conceal?
For the habitual photographer, the photograph is many things. Expression, curiosity, intimacy, communication, and more.
We choose which part to explore and expose. We limit what we expose depending on the audience. We fake it. We remain honest to ourselves. We stay within our own boundaries.
What we gather or summise from others is interpreted through a filter.
Being one who is fascinated by all photographs I can only say that the more I see and read and know, the more I am fascinated. I am not indifferent to difference. I am mesmerized by it.
Fahim is as polarized as Asher form my culture, philosophy and preferences. Yet I am constantly amazed by what I read and see.
I recently saw a reference that made an assumption that we are all the same deep down.
If that be the case I don't want to ever get there. I love the differences. I don't have to respect them, like them or agree with them. The very fact they exist is enough. I want each person to show me what they are so I can revel in the knowledge that I am alone. Photogrhs do that.
If it is at all possible to say, I love loving and hating with the same veracity.

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Tom,

Or the nature we wish to expose.
Ultimately we make choices. Which photo, what should I say? What should I expose? What should I conceal?
For the habitual photographer, the photograph is many things. Expression, curiosity, intimacy, communication, and more.
We choose which part to explore and expose. We limit what we expose depending on the audience. We fake it. We remain honest to ourselves. We stay within our own boundaries.
What we gather or summise from others is interpreted through a filter.
Being one who is fascinated by all photographs I can only say that the more I see and read and know, the more I am fascinated. I am not indifferent to difference. I am mesmerized by it.
Fahim is as polarized as Asher form my culture, philosophy and preferences. Yet I am constantly amazed by what I read and see.
I recently saw a reference that made an assumption that we are all the same deep down.
If that be the case I don't want to ever get there. I love the differences. I don't have to respect them, like them or agree with them. The very fact they exist is enough. I want each person to show me what they are so I can revel in the knowledge that I am alone. Photogrhs do that.
If it is at all possible to say, I love loving and hating with the same verocity.

I enjoyed this essay. But I'd love to know what word you meant at the end when you said, " I love loving and hating with the same verocity." Perhaps it is new word you coined that especially fits your thought here. It is perhaps a cross between "velocity" and "ferocity". I like it.

I have another editorial comment. I didn't invent the Enter key (only the Caps Lock key) but I am a big fan of its use. Your essays would be more readable if you followed the convention of a blank line between paragraphs.

I know that may seem unprofitable when most of the paragraphs are single sentences, but it is very valuable even in that situation.

And don't worry about wasting paper. I haven't gotten an "out of paper" alarm from my display for a long time.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Doug

I was just telling someone a few days ago that I am a firm believer that our photography shows more about the photographer than the actual subject being photographed especially if, as you say, Fahim, that we look at whole ensemble of work over a period of time.

I'm pretty sure that if you look at my portfolio, you'd definitely see who I am as I try to stay true to who I am (which doesn't mean it's good just that it is very me).

I do have pictures that I haven't ever shown here because they are not images that fit with anything in my portfolio such as horses, bike races etc., even a few of people, believe it or not, but I think if you saw them, you would find the same person took them. I think you would probably guess they were mine.

Now, can others read my images and see who I am through my work? I'm not sure. I know some that think what I do isn't serious photography but it is still serious to me. I may be more complicated than what you see at first glance but I think if you take your time, you can see more levels than just pretty photos of flowers and still life images.

I don't think everyone shows themselves as freely as others and that may be for different reasons. Some photographers are more technical and analytical in their work and that is also who they are as people.

Others do work that goes deep and makes us question our lives and our mortality as Charlotte's work often does to me. Many times it takes me a while to comment on her images because I'm not always easy with how they make me feel - a sense of both celestial ethereality (sp?) and sense of fear of dying all in one. It's a lot to take in.

I certainly would be curious what you think my photographs say about me, Fahim - lol, since you brought it up! :-D

fahim mohammed

I would never presume to take the liberty and post on a public forum my views of anyone.
That would be unfair and could probably be in error. I apologize.

However, even in the previous 7 threads so graciously posted thus far, I have already noticed a glaring contradiction. What Am I supposed to make of that person? Can you spot it? Interesting, and such good
fun.

Even no response can say a lot. no?

Y'all hang loose you hear.

p.s edited for a grammatical error I spotted.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

I would never presume to take the liberty and post on a public forum my views of anyone.
That would be unfair and could probably be in error. I apologize.

However, even in the previous 7 threads so graciously posted thus far, I have already noticed a glaring contradiction. What Am I supposed to make of that person? Can you spot it? Interesting, and such good
fun.

I give up. Does it involve the sign anomaly we face when communicating with the southern hemisphere?

Even no response can say a lot. no?

The debate on one of the most critical decisions in the area of standards relating to ASCII ended this way:

Chair: Rebut, Mr. Kerr?

Kerr: No need, Mr. Chairman.

With a little luck, we will have some of that tomorrow night here, when nine actual candidates for the Republican nomination for President of the Unites States plus famous ass​hole Donald Trump will hold a television debate.

Y'all hang loose you hear.

I never realized that you were from southern Saudi Arabia!

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

Yo Doug.

Thank you for bringing a big smile on my face.

It is 2320 hrs as I write this. My son who is on call is sitting next to me, and couldn't help but notice what I was smiling about. I showed him your post. We both had big smiles on both our faces.

The only hemispheres I know are the left and right ones Doug. They do get mixed up at times though.
An interesting thought..which hemisphere dominant would you say most contributors to this forum are.
Another nice and quick pastime.

Often, no response is the best response my friend. Could keep one out of trouble.

Me, I am neither left, right, north or south. Center would be fine with me.

Take care.

Jerome Marot

p.s the posted photographs, accompanying write-ups, and comments ( by themselves or taken in context ) on OPF itself would provide a fertile ground for such analysis. I have gone through most of the postings of active ( and some infrequent but of interest to me ) members of OPF..quite a few times.
Provides a good exercise for the curious.

Let me summarise things to be sure I have understood correctly. You watch the pictures of a particular poster and read his or her posts on OPF. From that data, you make an analysis of the person. Then you believe that this analysis is accurate.

Unless I am mistaken, you have no way to know unless you meet the person face to face whether that analysis is true.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Let me summarise things to be sure I have understood correctly. You watch the pictures of a particular poster and read his or her posts on OPF. From that data, you make an analysis of the person. Then you believe that this analysis is accurate.

Unless I am mistaken, you have no way to know unless you meet the person face to face whether that analysis is true.

I'm afraid even that is far from foolproof.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

I'm afraid even that is far from foolproof.

Yes, obviously. All I wanted to say is that some sort of independent counter-analysis was necessary. But face to face meetings somewhat work: it is said that when people meet face to face outside of forums, they are surprised and that is the idea I wanted to express: Fahim may be genuinely surprised if he met the members he believes to know from their pictures and posts.

fahim mohammed

Jerome, I did not say ' accurate '. I said an interesting exercise for the curious mind. I also mentioned
Statistically insignificant data.

In another post, I said I could be in error.

I also wrote ' to a fair extent ' an analysis could reveal some personality characteristics of a person.

I stand by that premise and assertion, but cannot be certain of its accuracy.

And no, meeting face to face, should not necessarily bring about any significant change in that analysis.

Meeting should only prove one to be more correct than wrong, if done properly and with a reasonable amount of data.

But it remains a valid exercise for one's grey cells.

p.s I am talking of probabilities not certainties.

Asher Kelman

Jerome, I did not say ' accurate '. I said an interesting exercise for the curious mind. I also mentioned
Statistically insignificant data.

In another post, I said I could be in error.

I also wrote ' to a fair extent ' an analysis could reveal some personality characteristics of a person.

I stand by that premise and assertion, but cannot be certain of its accuracy.

And no, meeting face to face, should not necessarily bring about any significant change in that analysis.

Meeting should only prove one to be more correct than wrong, if done properly and with a reasonable amount of data.

But it remains a valid exercise for one's grey cells.

p.s I am talking of probabilities not certainties.

I like the idea, Fahim, that probabilities occupy your mind, rather than bullying every matter into either one of just two categories. Things occur with certain probabilities of consequences, and that is a most useful way of looking at things. We almost never know what we can actually find occurring in any planned future event, but we can apply probilities!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi, Tom,

I enjoyed this essay. But I'd love to know what word you meant at the end when you said, " I love loving and hating with the same verocity." Perhaps it is new word you coined that especially fits your thought here. It is perhaps a cross between "velocity" and "ferocity". I like it.

I have another editorial comment. I didn't invent the Enter key (only the Caps Lock key) but I am a big fan of its use. Your essays would be more readable if you followed the convention of a blank line between paragraphs.

I know that may seem unprofitable when most of the paragraphs are single sentences, but it is very valuable even in that situation.

And don't worry about wasting paper. I haven't gotten an "out of paper" alarm from my display for a long time.

Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

Doug

I kinda like the word as well, Doug. Lets coin it. Unfortunately, as with many great discoveries, it was an unnoticed glitch, now been corrected so as to conform.
Valuable? In what way? Just because your weary eyes are losing their ability to dissociate.
That would require of me to hit the enter key twice. I'm not sure I'm up to it.
Thanks for dropping by. Always happy to speak to another sarcastic old bastard.

xx
Tom

Tom dinning

Registrant*
'Collective works of a photographer' does sound a bit pretentious.
I gather from my readings here that there are many any varied reasons for people taking photos. From that I can glitch a sample of their interests and pursuits. I might also interpret their words so as to grasp a taste of their character.
One thing is for sure. I rely on none of it as fact or truth. Saying that, I still enjoy the experience, be it one of my own and probably of little importance to the person in question.
Accuracy in interpretation is a scientific process. Judgement on our fellow man is subjective.
Not all of us see ourselves as photographers or see our albums as collective works. Only this week a student asked me what I like photographing. It stopped me dead in my tracks. What don't I like photographing? Cats, babies, ........ and even then I've got the odd shot in my collective works.
For an artist with a mission or a pro with an agenda the portfolio will definitely contain that which the photographer sees as fitting to explain their capabilities. For the hobbyist anything goes.
So what do we gather from 'anything goes'? An interest in particular subject matter, a yearning to travel, a love of family, a perversion for young women?
Does the dilettante photographer really want to expose themselves to the world at large? Is it important to them for others to know who and what they are? I think not. It's easy to summise from a few snapshots and a sentence or two. Knowledge of another requires persistence, time and commitment. Friendship and marriage does that. Photographs can give us a hint but let's not rely on it.
My dream is to be in the same place and the same time as Robert Adams. I have seen most of his photographs and read everything he published. I have a firm belief that I know the man.
I know I would be disappointed.
Sometimes it's best not to know the truth.

Doug Kerr

Saint Tom of the Outback has written:

'Collective works of a photographer' does sound a bit pretentious.

I gather from my readings here that there are many any varied reasons for people taking photos. From that I can glitch a sample of their interests and pursuits. I might also interpret their words so as to grasp a taste of their character.

One thing is for sure. I rely on none of it as fact or truth. Saying that, I still enjoy the experience, be it one of my own and probably of little importance to the person in question.

Accuracy in interpretation is a scientific process. Judgement on our fellow man is subjective.

Not all of us see ourselves as photographers or see our albums as collective works. Only this week a student asked me what I like photographing. It stopped me dead in my tracks. What don't I like photographing? Cats, babies, ........ and even then I've got the odd shot in my collective works.

For an artist with a mission or a pro with an agenda the portfolio will definitely contain that which the photographer sees as fitting to explain their capabilities. For the hobbyist anything goes.

So what do we gather from 'anything goes'? An interest in particular subject matter, a yearning to travel, a love of family, a perversion for young women?

Does the dilettante photographer really want to expose themselves to the world at large? Is it important to them for others to know who and what they are? I think not. It's easy to summise from a few snapshots and a sentence or two. Knowledge of another requires persistence, time and commitment. Friendship and marriage does that. Photographs can give us a hint but let's not rely on it.

My dream is to be in the same place and the same time as Robert Adams. I have seen most of his photographs and read everything he published. I have a firm belief that I know the man.
I know I would be disappointed.

Sometimes it's best not to know the truth.

Le crayon rouge ne dort jamais.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*
WOP!
That's the sound of my hand being firmly and swiftly connected with the back of your autistic skull, Doug.
Now, find an orific somewhere on your body and insert that ****ing red pencil.
(Apologies to all autistic people reading this thread. Any reference to similarities to the behavior patterns of autism and that of an old fart with a red pen and a propensity for numerical correctness is done so to gain a sarcastic advantage)

fahim mohammed

So we have a sampling of just the previous 19 posts.

Based on the above, how do the participants in this tiny sample want others to perceive them, or is this statistically insignificant sample a reflection of their true selves currently, or as they were in the past or want to be perceived or shall be in the future?

Good fun. Probabilities not certainties here.

What do you folks think?

p.s edited for grammar.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Now my head is spinning, Fahim. Too many questions.
One question at a time. tell me if I miss something.
Deep down in side of my confused brain I guess I would like people to perceive me as a bit of a rough neck, working class, sod from the tropics who has an opinion on most things and a propensity for foul language, sarcasm and a low tolerance for dickheads, bigots, religious zealots, and any tall poppy in the field.
This is because it is what I am.
As for the photographs, thats a different story. I see the world though my eyes. It fascinates me at every turn. I would like that to be seen by others. Every day something catches my eye to remind me of my human-ness. The camera allows me, to some extent, to caputre and portray that.
If you got that from my photos and stories I have succeeded.
Statistics aside, any sample is better than none at all. This isn't a scientific study. Its just us talking, interesting as it is.
I'm true to myself and a few others. The rest I change with the wind. My true self is rarely exposed. I like it that way.
I'm happy for people to perceive what they want, unless its criminal or libel, especially those on the internet. Its such an impersonal media.
As for the future, my ambitions is not to die with the same prejudices I current hold.
I'm working on that.

PS How I detest the word 'folks'. It sounds so ..... folksy.

Cheers

Doug Kerr

It is so convenient to be able to be insulted here, by a friend, rather than having to go to dpr as I used to years ago, to there be insulted by strangers.

As they say, "Differences in latitude lead to . . ."

Oh, never mind.

I have indeed chosen an orific (known in the Northern/Western hemisphere as an orifice)–not on my body, though– for my fuc​king red pencil: the entry to a little round basket on my desk.

Best regards,

Doug

Jerome Marot

So we have a sampling of just the previous 19 posts.

Based on the above, how do the participants in this tiny sample want others to perceive them, or is this statistically insignificant sample a reflection of their true selves currently, or as they were in the past or want to be perceived or shall be in the future?

I can't wait to read your opinion on that subject, Fahim.

fahim mohammed

Hi Doug.

It is your humanness that is to be appreciated, rather than someone's ' human-ness '.

Education does matter Doug. And it shows.

Let me sharpen my red pencil too!!

Take care.

p.s should I have said ' proper/formal ' education? But then we have to argue about what is proper and so on and so forth.

It is so convenient to be able to be insulted here, by a friend, rather than having to go to dpr as I used to years ago, to there be insulted by strangers.

Oh, never mind.

I have indeed chosen an orific (known in the Northern/Western hemisphere as an orifice)–not on my body, though– for my fuc​king red pencil: the entry to a little round basket on my desk.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Fahim,

Hi Doug.

It is your humanness that is to be appreciated, rather than someone's ' human-ness '.

Take care.

p.s should I have said ' proper/formal ' education? But then we have to argue about what is proper and so on and so forth.

Thank you so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

In order to discover a person's real character, that individual must be seen to operate in circumstances where a decision needs to be made between bad and bad. Then we get to learn the actual values of the person pushed to the limit!

All of us are protected by layers of armor and delusions and often, we, ourselves, need a reality check periodically. It even penetrates into what we think of as objective evaluations as to measure the worth of everything we can pull out of our back pocket select rulers, differently calibrated for different purposes or ventures.

That's not the full account of our difficulties! We also have to deal with infectious ideas that we get to consider are "factual", except in actuality they are fashionable!

So, for example, a society might not have a concern of the rights of Darfur Blacks or Sunni Muslims raped or gassed but will be very concerned to respect the rights of, for example transgender persons or neighbors who are Catholic or Jewish!

So, after all, although one can, perhaps, peep into the private minds of each of us posting on this forum, I don't think we can get more than a partial glimpse. We do not know really how each of us would behave given a choice between anything but obvious good and obvious evil!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

In order to discover a person's real character, that individual must be seen to operate in circumstances where a decision needs to be made between bad and bad. Then we get to learn the actual values of the person pushed to the limit!

All of us are protected by layers of armor and delusions and often, we, ourselves, need a reality check periodically. It even penetrates into what we think of as objective evaluations as to measure the worth of everything we can pull out of our back pocket select rulers, differently calibrated for different purposes or ventures.

That's not the full account of our difficulties! We also have to deal with infectious ideas that we get to consider are "factual", except in actuality they are fashionable!

So, for example, a society might not have a concern of the rights of Darfur Blacks or Sunni Muslims raped or gassed but will be very concerned to respect the rights of, for example transgender persons or neighbors who are Catholic or Jewish!

So, after all, although one can, perhaps, peep into the private minds of each of us posting on this forum, I don't think we can get more than a partial glimpse. We do not know really how each of us would behave given a choice between anything but obvious good and obvious evil!

Well said. Thank you.

Best regards,

Doug

Tom dinning

Registrant*

Oh, never mind.

Best regards,

Doug

Is that racist, Doug? Or maybe 'latitudist'.
Xx

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Hi Doug.

Take care.

I'm back on board, Fahim. I thought I'd lost you for a moment.
You'll need more than a red pencil to get through this hide.

So that's what it's all about. You think I'm too well educated and I look down on you as a sand groping saddle wearing desert dweller.
Well, you might be right. But it matters not. I only gleaned that from you writing and photos and we know that will tell me little.
Xx