• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The blast of an HD camera and waterproof too!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
vpc-waterproof-sanyo-bizarro-rm-eng1.jpg

Engadget.com: Sanyo Sanyo's VPC-CA102YL waterproof HD camcorder

The 14 MP still camera and HD video are just about perfect for anything a family might need to memorialze fun at the beach or around the pool. I'm thinking that

"1920 x 1080 / 60i video in MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format, 14 megapixel stills, an articulating 2.7-inch wide LCD, 12x dual dual range zoom on video, and 5x optical zoom on photos" are pretty good specs for anyone's walk around camera too!.

Here are Sanyo's official specifications

Full HD 1080, 60i Video (1920 x 1080)
14 Megapixel Digital Photos
Waterproof up to 3 meters (10 feet)
2.7” Wide LCD Monitor for HD Playback
12x Dual Range Zoom Video
5x Optical Zoom Photo
High Speed Sequential Shooting
Wide Angle Lens Range Video: 40mm – 240mm
Wide Angle Lens Range Photo: 38mm – 190mm
Digital Image Stabilizer (Photos and Video)
Face Detection (Photos and Video)
Mini HDMI Digital Interface
MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 High Compression Technology
Enhanced Eye-Fi Compatibility
SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card compatible​

Product Description

"Take stunning Full HD 1080 60i video and up to 14 megapixel digital photos underwater! The compact Sanyo Dual Camera Xacti CA102 delivers high performance results with multiple features normally found on much higher priced video and photo cameras. It delivers amazing 12X dual range zoom for video and 5x optical zoom for photos. The CA102’s upright, vertical design is extremely portable and easy to use on land or underwater. The CA102 offers face chasing technology which automatically reads and corrects focus and lighting for up to 12 different subjects. Its compact design makes the CA102 extremely portable and easy to use. Videos, still photos, camera menus and settings can be easily accessed with the user’s thumb. The CA102’s MPEG4/H.264 recording format makes sharing videos and photos via social networking web sites, portable video devices like iPod’s, TV’s and computers, a breeze. Offering unprecedented waterproof Full HD 1080 video with 14MP digital photos, the CA102 provides a convenient way to capture both videos and photos in daily life or for special events."​

It's available in ninja stealth black too, but that superb yellow is sufficiently unsubtle that no one could mistake you for a paparazzo, but if you actually were nerdy and bold enough to get the pictures of your starlet getting out of her car, doubtless the pictures would sell!

I just fail to see how one can hold this camera to take pictures in the first place!

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

CNET is also impressed and has some comment on the type of HD video delivered:

"Sanyo says it records at "full HD," but depending on your definition of the term, that may not be true. It does capture video at a resolution of 1,920x1,080 pixels, but it's interlaced, not progressive. However, it is at 60 frames per second, which should make for some pretty smooth video. Plus, and perhaps unsurprisingly given Panasonic's ownership of Sanyo, you can store to SDXC cards, which currently max out at 64GB, allowing up to 480 minutes of video. Of course, those cards currently cost a little more than $200, so it's more of a future-proofing thing.
Like all of the company's Dual Camera Xacti models, this one takes still photos just as easily as it captures video; in this case, at the unnecessary resolution of 14 megapixels. Also, Sanyo says it has a 38mm-equivalent wide-angle lens, but that isn't really wide at all. Other noteworthy features include a flip-out rotating 2.7-inch LCD, a Mini-HDMI port, and support for Eye-Fi SD cards for wireless transfers directly from the device.
It'll be out in August at an MSRP of $349.99. (Seems a bit pricey to me.)"

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

"Sanyo says it records at "full HD," but depending on your definition of the term, that may not be true.
There is no formal technical definition of "full HD". The term is commonly used in a marketing context to refer to the 1080p class of formats, which does not seem to apply to the Sanyo camera.
It does capture video at a resolution of 1,920x1,080 pixels, but it's interlaced, not progressive. However, it is at 60 frames per second, which should make for some pretty smooth video.
In the interlaced formats, the "vertical" rates cited are always fields/second, not frames/second.

Thus a "1080i, 60 Hz" format is 30 frames/sec. There is no recognized 1080i, 60 frames/sec format.

Common ATV ("broadcast HDTV") material is encoded/transmitted at 30 frames/second; I believe the actual transmission format is normally interlaced (both interlaced and progressive at 30 f/s are, I believe, allowed by the standards). I shall have to refresh my understanding of this.

A recent change to the ATSC standard embraces the possibility of transmission at a 60 frame/s rate on a progressive basis.

The shorthand notation used for the formats can be confusing. "1080i60" means 1080 lines, interlaced, 60 fields/sec, whereas "1080i/30" means 1080 lines, interlaced, 30 frames/sec - the very same format.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

It seems that from 60 interlaced can come good 30 progressive. It's confusing when what one wants is good video to edit. We need guidance!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

It seems that from 60 interlaced can come good 30 progressive.
Indeed, although in my present state of enlightenment, it's not clear what the advantage of the latter over the former would be.

But I still have a lot to learn about all this.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Hi, Asher,

Indeed, although in my present state of enlightenment, it's not clear what the advantage of the latter over the former would be.

But I still have a lot to learn about all this.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug,

I'm learning too! I think its easier to get and deliver a "film" look and experience with progressive at 24 images per second. I was going to write frames, but did not want to get into definitions, rather experience.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

I'm learning too! I think its easier to get and deliver a "film" look and experience with progressive at 24 images per second.
Indeed, 1080p/24 * is widely used in the "motion picture" context (as well as a cousin, 24PsF, which is quasi-interlaced).

*Note that I consistently use the European notation to avoid any ambiguity, although there is no real risk in the "p" flavors.​

I was going to write frames, but did not want to get into definitions, rather experience.
I understand.

Best regards,

Doug