• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Inside the Walt Disney Concert Hall Pt. II

Alex Weiss

Hi again,

here are three more pictures taken inside WTCH. I chose to put them in a separate thread, because I have specific questions about them. Here they are:

disney2_small.jpg

disney3_small.jpg

disney4_small.jpg

In the first one, I like the strong lines and that there is a sense of chaos. At the same time, however, I don't know if there is maybe too much chaos, i.e. if the composition is too cluttered. Looking at the picture, I can see multiple ways to crop it differently, but I don't know if they would work as well as the "big picture."

In the second, I like the composition, but I am not sure about the tones. Specifically, the lower right corner is bothering me - it seems too dark. At the same time, however, since everything else is rather bright, it might be a nice counterpoint.

In the third, I'm not sure if the picture isn't too unbalanced, i.e. if I shouldn't crop it more to move the vertical line a bit closer to the center (just a bit, though).

Thanks for watching and commenting.

Alex

Doug Kerr

Hi, Alex,

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I was solving a problem of the universe and taking a nap.

Hi again,

here are three more pictures taken inside WTCH

The WalT disney Concert Hall?

I chose to put them in a separate thread, because I have specific questions about them. Here they are:

In the first one, I like the strong lines and that there is a sense of chaos. At the same time, however, I don't know if there is maybe too much chaos, i.e. if the composition is too cluttered.
In understand your concern, but some recipes need a lot of different flavors. I like the mix there.

In the second, I like the composition, but I am not sure about the tones. Specifically, the lower right corner is bothering me - it seems too dark. At the same time, however, since everything else is rather bright, it might be a nice counterpoint.

I like it as is, but lightened a little might be nice, too.

In the third, I'm not sure if the picture isn't too unbalanced, i.e. if I shouldn't crop it more to move the vertical line a bit closer to the center (just a bit, though).

I think you may well be right on that.

Nice work, in any case.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
"Takers and Givers": we to give to the givers"!

No takers? :)

Alex,

It's the opposite! There's no end of "takers". We need givers, LOL! We should be checking for orphaned posts and look for where a picture moves us or we might have an opinion to share. That's what each of us needs. Then the person who gets responses will reciprocate when we post!

In a way, I consider that WDCH is a present to me as if I have a tiny stake in it. Well, truthfully, I do, having made a modest donation and my name in steel on the floor, (with others of our more humble class), who have supported the most wonderful Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra under it's president Debra Border. The building is now an icon setting the tone for Grand Avenue. My studio is across the road. Frank Gehry's architecture is seductive and you too have been hooked. Welcome to the club!!

disney2_small.jpg

In the first one, I like the strong lines and that there is a sense of chaos. At the same time, however, I don't know if there is maybe too much chaos, i.e. if the composition is too cluttered. Looking at the picture, I can see multiple ways to crop it differently, but I don't know if they would work as well as the "big picture."

Alex,

This picture is part of a scene that in real life requires us to move one's eyes and head to explore. In the still image, we are constrained to two dimensions so we miss the extra surprises that come with every slight change in our viewing position or our posture. for such reasons, I think fragments of the giant complex structure, viewed intimately, give a more satisfactory and less confusing experience, (unless one cheats and makes the picture B&W).

You have beautifully photographed this view. I will find some other ways of presenting your work as examples of how well you have made the colors and tonalities work together.

More to come!

Asher

Asher Kelman

So here's one excerpt from your first picture with no other changes but the crop.

disney2_small_Crop from Original_01.jpg

This one works well, I think as a perfect square. There's a sense of bold energy but the elements converging to meet in the center in harmony.

For something with more dynamic energy and aggressive feel, an horizontal frame seems best.

disney-2_small copy_crop from original_02.jpg

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

So here's one excerpt from your first picture with no other changes but the crop.

disney2_small_Crop from Original_01.jpg

This one works well, I think as a perfect square. There's a sense of bold energy but the elements converging to meet in the center in harmony.

For something with more dynamic energy and aggressive feel, an horizontal frame seems best.

disney-2_small copy_crop from original_02.jpg

I dunno. Makes them look like something from the brochure of a firm that makes custom HVAC ductwork and equipment cabinets.

Sometime less is just less.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Doug,

Of course, Alex's original is already made and is not going to be replaced. It exist for you to enjoy, unaltered. So, there's no "less"! We are not losing anything, just exploring the richness of possibilities, pictures within pictures, that's all.

I dunno. Makes them look like something from the brochure of a firm that makes custom HVAC ductwork and equipment cabinets.

Sometime less is just less.

Good to see contemporary taste and simple forms spread in such a democratic fashion! Why not link us to any such pictures!

Asher