• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

220º fisheye

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Stuart,

Now that's an impressive piece of glass, try keeping you feet out of the image ..., it's impossible unless it's pointed upwards.

Cheers,
Bart

article-2134426-12BE51CD000005DC-651_634x870.jpg

Daily Mail: 6mm Nikon Fisheye ~1972

"Impressive" you say? It's damn overwhelming!

But where are the photographs tasked with it?

Asher

Can someone explain how it can shoot behind its self?

Hi Mark,

Well not literally straight behind itself, but wider than 180 degrees. I assume that the front element has an extremely short radius of the inner surface and a large radius of the outer surface. That creates a thin lens on the optical axis and thick towards the edges. Refraction does the rest. Maybe somebody can dig up a diagram of this lens somewhere to illustrate the principle.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I've found sort of a diagram:
comp9a.jpg

Dr Klaus Schmitt

I had that one, but sold it later for a good price. Darn big and heavy monster lens :biggrin:

Read what my friend Macro Cavina has written about Nikon fisheyes (incl. prototypes of them) HERE on his site

This link explains the principle of operation very well, including this picture of teh 2.8/6mm function:

Figure-18.jpg

and here an image shot with it:

Blankenese.jpg

(c) Kubetschek.de