• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Fun: Fisheye Pictures! Images that capture energy, splendor and pizazz!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael's picture with his rescued dog frolicking in the water shows the exceptionally successful use of the fisheye to capture the energy of a place or event. So this works as a start to our collection of fisheye images! ADK

Took this down by the lake last week. It looks better bigger.

Cheers
Mike
Sammy_DSC5291_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Michael,

You have a nice wide lens. Great color and composition. There's curvature of the horizon! Wonderful dog! Also this shows the wonderful capabilities of the fisheye. It can see what we see when we look around and gives all the interesting and impressive context in one go with great style!

Asher

All are invited to add such energetic and beautiful pictures! :)

Asher Kelman

I previously posted this in flowers by the Wayside! But it belongs here!

Armed with my newly acquired 8mm Sigma circular fisheye for my Canon 5DII, everywhere I visited, I was testing the camera. Here I stole a shot of a sunflower against the California sky.

_MG_9277-3_Cropped_01 copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Sunflower at Gigi's

8mm f6.3 1/400 ISO 100 no flash

I like the increased importance the fisheye gives to the flower!

Asher

Asher Kelman

One does not need to defish if the subject is right! A modest crop, that's all!

_MG_9280_chair_01.jpg

Asher Kelman: Chair

8mm f6.3 1/10 ISO 400 +1 EV no flash

Here the curvy nature of the chair becomes especially inviting.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael. A perfect creation of the feeling of the train ride with the outside moving past us. A much longer lens would miss out on the atmospherics. B&W, removes distractions, uniform's the components to fit as a coherent set of elements, none of which takes away from the whole!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Michael,

The Canon 15mm Fisheye is kind to people's faces except at the very periphery. Si ut's great for a table full of people at a small restaurant or else a packed dance floor!

_I6E2334_CS5.jpg

Asher Kelman: Aaron and Megan's Wedding - Party Image #1

Canon 1D Mark II, f4 1/32 15mm Fisheye ISO 500 -1 EV, No Flash

_I6E2292_700.jpg

Asher Kelman: Aaron and Megan's Wedding Party 4 Image #2

Canon 1D Mark II, f4 1/42 15mm Fisheye ISO 500 -1 EV, No Flash

I was just a guest and didn't have flash with me, LOL! Still the lively and celebratory mood is evident and that's the joy of using this lens!

Asher

5289470375_a6446ae67d_b.jpg

Lake Doonella, Overcast​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image area 18.4cm diameter, from a Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Seagull 4A-103A twin lens reflex camera with a Marexar Ultrawider fisheye auxiliary lens and #25 red filter.

Asher Kelman

5289470375_a6446ae67d_b.jpg

Lake Doonella, Overcast​
Gelatin-silver photograph on Agfa Classic MCC 111 VC FB, image area 18.4cm diameter, from a Tmax 400 negative exposed in a Seagull 4A-103A twin lens reflex camera with a Marexar Ultrawider fisheye auxiliary lens and #25 red filter.

Maris,

This is a huge surprise! The circular format works perfectly for this as a print! Part of the sense of great openness of nature!

Hope this was just the very first. A basic but workable camera, that Seagull. I was wondering whether they were up to anything or just were like Lomos, LOL! So did you have two fisheye lenses for the camera, as it would not be possible otherwise to see what you were going to get. I guess you just aim, like using a pinhole camera. What does the lens look like and what's the the thread diameter. I could add one to my Globus 66 mmm 4x5 film camera for fun!

Asher

Your crowd scenes are wonderful, Asher. The fisheye effect enhances the vibrancy and fun of the occasion. Maris's lake and sky image evokes an otherworldly sense of isolation coupled with tension about what's about to happen - is a Loch Ness type of apparition about to break the surface of the lake? Like Asher, I'm intrigued about the use of a twin-lens reflex in this photo. Please tell more.

The following images are a scene from a window of the Naniboujou Lodge in Grand Marais, Minnesota (a place with a fascinating history) and a fisheye piffle that amused me when taking.

Window_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Fisheye_piffle_DSC_1449_Snapseed_copy_small.jpg

Cheers
Mike

Maris,

This is a huge surprise! The circular format works perfectly for this as a print! Part of the sense of great openness of nature!

Hope this was just the very first. A basic but workable camera, that Seagull. I was wondering whether they were up to anything or just were like Lomos, LOL! So did you have two fisheye lenses for the camera, as it would not be possible otherwise to see what you were going to get. I guess you just aim, like using a pinhole camera. What does the lens look like and what's the the thread diameter. I could add one to my Globus 66 mmm 4x5 film camera for fun!

Asher

The circular format is a trope. Fisheye pictures are supposed to be round. At least they are in popular imagination. Actually the Marexar Ultrawider delivers a round-ish image with the sides cropped slightly by the square format of the Seagull twin lens reflex camera. The edges of the film image include a 140 degree angle of view but they are rather blurry so I used a circular mask on the photographic paper under the enlarger to neaten things up.

One fisheye auxiliary lens does the job. The Seagull TLR is on a tripod and I merely screw the auxiliary lens first on the viewing lens and then the taking lens. Auxiliary lenses are available with a wide variety of mounting thread diameters. Mine happens to be 49mm which I have adapted to the 34mm thread of the Seagull lenses.

It is an amusing ploy to use the circular mask on a wideangle rectilinear picture. Most viewers will see a "fisheye" image where there is none. Another famous illusion is a mask of double overlapping circles to suggest that the picture is seen through binoculars. No one sees any such a thing through actual binoculars but the convention persists.

Asher Kelman

Let's have more fisheye pictures. They have a way of not only drawing people well, but also sculpting a background that's offers so much more presence.

So go out and search for prey!

Asher