• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

My World: Lonely Places in the Snow

Here's some photos taken yesterday before the snow fully melted. I love snow but hope not to see it again before next December.

Against much good advice, I treated myself to a Sigma DP2 Merrill with a Foveon sensor. These shots are with that camera. It's not made for snapshots, anything fast moving, or low light conditions, but if treated like an old-time medium format film camera I appreciate the image quality.

Cheers, Mike

Jesse's Leap
jesse_s_leap_by_tricky_trees-d64e7rd.jpg

Footsteps
footsteps_by_tricky_trees-d64e7we.jpg

Chippewa Park
chippewa_park_by_tricky_trees-d64e814.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Even industrial settings can look lonely in the snow.

bowater_3_snapseed_copy_by_tricky_trees-d64mp5c.jpg

You have no right to make such pictures without 12 bracketed exposures! If I claimed I wasn't jealous, it would be a barefaced lie.

So you better continue this series. :)

This is a major MF camera you have! What's the focal length, ie which DP Merrill is this? :)

Asher

You have no right to make such pictures without 12 bracketed exposures! If I claimed I wasn't jealous, it would be a barefaced lie.

So you better continue this series. :)

This is a major MF camera you have! What's the focal length, ie which DP Merrill is this? :)

Asher

The one with the 45 mm equivalent lens, Asher. For leisurely paced photography, I'm finding it a joy. It has quirks like slow autofocus, slow file write time, poor battery life, too much noise at higher ISO, big file size, and a primitive RAW decoder. Having used the camera for a couple of months, though, I'm well habituated and none of the preceding cause concern. Michael Reichmann at Luminous Landscape reviewed it very positively despite its quirks, and price-wise it's now down to $800.

An issue for me was using the LCD to compose images. So I bought a bright Sigma optical viewfinder, use that to frame the scene, then use the LCD for finer focus. Although the camera begs for a tripod to fully realize it's potential using manual focus, all these photos were hand held. Cheers, Mike.