• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Vintage or abandoned Cars!

Jerome Marot

Thank you, Asher. I wasn't sure it really belonged in this thread. I have a few more pictures from that day, but I think this thread is more about vintage cars, isn't it?

Michael Nagel

The setting is not spectacular, but I like this tiny tractor:

But there is an interesting looking detail:

Images are clickable.

It is a Lanz Bulldog, the 1921 HL type to be precise.

Best regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Doug Kerr

Hi, Jerome,

Another tractor detail:

Lovely suppressed zero tachometer, with ground speed equivalents for 4th and 5th gear (interestingly enough read off the tail of the pointer), anti-parallax scale for the 5th gear scale.

Do we know what "O.S" means? (Could even be the manufacturer of the instrument.)

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

i, Michael,

But there is an interesting looking detail:

My guess is that this is an air preheater for starting (perhaps this is a diesel machine). The reason I suspect that is that it is not nicely painted, as if it is expected to be "fired" The small cock atop it may well feed it the fuel for that (like the starting tray of a blowtorch).

But lovely in any case.

Thanks so much.

Best regards,

Doug

Michael Nagel

Doug,

It is a pre-heater for the hot bulb, as Lanz used Hot Bulb Engines for all except their late models where they switched to diesel engines.

I like the different shades of rust on the lower portion.

Best regards,
Michael

Cem_Usakligil

Cat's Cradle (or Alvis is in the building):
f27651.jpg

Route 66 relic:
e05224-5.jpg

Big mistake:
e05220-3.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Maybe a 0.5 cm to 1.0 cm off the bottom?

Wow - 1 cm off the bottom at first seemed a bit much, but maybe not. It really sort of looks nice that way.

Fuel_truck_01C1.jpg

Duke Beattie: Fuel truck
Cropped by Douglas A. Kerr: 1 cm off the bottom.​

Best regards,

Doug

Jim Galli

Cat's Cradle (or Alvis is in the building):
f27651.jpg

Route 66 relic:
e05224-5.jpg

Big mistake:
e05220-3.jpg

What a great group Cem. Especially the Model T in it's surrounds.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
What about italian cars? Not abandoned!

A little heavy-handed on the PP:

Michael,

The Alfa Romeo is a fabulous car! Here, we have many more Lamborghinis, I don't know why as the former is so more practical, LOL! There's an Alfa dealership near me in L.A., so enough folk must buy them! I only know one person with an Alfa and he's the son of a big cardboard carton manufacturer. The Michael Jackson "Thriller" video Beat it! was made in their yard!

You don't need a big car to have fun:

Now this is cute! However, around here Fiats vanished for decades. I remember hitting the brakes in Boston, (many years back), for kids running across the busy street and a young girl, (who's picked up her brand new gleaming Fiat from the dealership down the road, 5 minutes ago), hit me!!! She rear-ended my stationary car! I got out and looked. It was totaled!! I helped the sobbing young girl to the sidewalk and tired to console her! She was in shock at her new car, smashed like a trampled soda can! Luckily she was not physically injured.

Given the massively heavier cars on the road years ago, no wonder Fiats couldn't survive. Now however, gasoline is expensive! So there's a comeback as cars are smaller. Fiats don't guzzle gas, they sip!

Your little white car would be a dreamboat here! :)

Asher

Michael Nagel

Asher,

The basic concept of Alfa Romoe was to combine a lightweight chassis with a compare to US standards small, but decent motor that revs up quickly. These are fun to drive - if you ever drove kart, this is not so far away from it.
Unfortunately the latest models are a bit off that philosophy...

For Fiat the last few years meant a large improvement in terms of safety. Don't forget - the car can be totaled, but the driver and passengers have to be unharmed. Recent models are better.

Finally a large car does not necessarily mean increased safety for the driver and passengers - remember the Ford Bronco?

A few more Alfas from the same day - the one in the front is obviously not vintage:

Best regards,
Michael

Steve Robinson

Here's an abandoned oldie that someone placed on an abandoned wooden boxcar.

First in color with just a little extra saturation.
Old%20Car%20Boxcar%20Oversat-1992-L.jpg

And then in B&W.

Old%20Car%20Boxcar%20B%26W-1991-L.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here's an abandoned oldie that someone placed on an abandoned wooden boxcar.

First in color with just a little extra saturation.

Old%20Car%20Boxcar%20Oversat-1992-L.jpg

[/CENTER]

Steve,

This works so well in part because of the rich rust color. The B&W might look better with different assignment of hues to tones, but as it is, this is outstanding!

Asher