• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Simple Pleasures: A collection of things I noticed when I was on my way

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
They go well together, Michael. That mirror with the curve in the road really makes a sharp element. But what's that pipe thing for. It seems that there's an access cap on one end?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Looking over the lake there was this contrast between the chapel and the church behind...

Hi Michael,

Yes the "Klein und Groß" title is apt! What's really interesting to me is that this picture might be the type that one could call upon Google's and or Microsoft's recognition technology to make rather interesting alternative representations of the scene. So, for example, one might be able to reconstruct, with the right perspective and view, the entire church in the b.g. by simply removing the intervening modern building. Or else, of course, one could go back in time to when wither the chapel or the church were alone in times past.

I'd love to see just the two beautiful buildings, Klein und Groß and not have the presentation spoiled by that out of place modern intrusion! But then, I'm a romantic! I wonder whether we can do this reconstruction now or it would be a huge job?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,

I am not quite sure if the chapel is older than the building behind - the church is certainly older.
A view without the building woud indeed be interesting. On the other hand - the dark building is a good canvas for the chapel in the foreground and helps to make it more visible.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

I am not quite sure if the chapel is older than the building behind - the church is certainly older.
A view without the building woud indeed be interesting. On the other hand - the dark building is a good canvas for the chapel in the foreground and helps to make it more visible.

Michael,

That view is beautiful; such very spiritual location looking at the pristine lake from such a raw hillside! Do you happen to know the names of the buildings. I'd like to see what can be done for fun!

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,

The church is on these coordinates: 47.705646,11.728193
The chapel is here: 47.706735,11.738588

Just enter the coordinates in Google Maps and have fun :)

Information on the architect of the church is here.

Best regards,
Michael

Asher Kelman

Asher,

This was photographed as found. When I write:

It means exactly what is written. As this is not the first time, I am increasingly irritated when reading such assertions...

Best regards,
Michael

No, my good friend! It was no way an assertion, just my praise! I never imagine you stage things, just that you have an eagle's eye!

Be assured it totally comes from awe, enjoyment and recognition of your sense of "perfect"!

Now, if I post that, likely as not, it would be staged!

:)

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks.

I had to be quick for this one:

Yes, there is a dust speck.

Michael,

This why one needs one's camera to be a size to carry everywhere! A great catch and you shouldn't have mentioned that dust speck - took me so long to find it. My screen isn't that clean as we are still painting here and there and there's lots of dust from the sanding.

I hardly ever see dust since I rarely close the aperture beyond f 5.6!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Asher,

Thanks. It is also a matter of seeing it.

Another case of Klein und Groß:

Michael,

Without the small buildings, one would have no idea of the scale of the large Church/Cathedral, St alban's Chapel, I think! I just sat a picture of caving deep into the earth. The only way one gets an impression of massive size is seeing the minute size of other cavers in the picture.

But where in your picture is Mary's Cathedral and St Stephen's Church? Are they so much smaller or hidden by the trees?

Asher

Michael Nagel

Hi Asher,

Without the small buildings, one would have no idea of the scale of the large Church/Cathedral, St alban's Chapel, I think! I just sat a picture of caving deep into the earth. The only way one gets an impression of massive size is seeing the minute size of other cavers in the picture.

But where in your picture is Mary's Cathedral and St Stephen's Church? Are they so much smaller or hidden by the trees?
The small yellow church at the shore is St. Alban's Chapel, the larger one behind is Marienmünster - Mary's Cathedral as you refer to it.

There is one thing - St Stephen's Church - what are you referring to here?

Note: This is a different lake than the other picture.

Hint for better reading the title: 'vor' means 'in front of'.

Best regards,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Just to let you know that I enjoy the series of images. You have a keen eye for these details, and apparently your environment has plenty of treasures to offer.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Bart,

Thanks - the world is full of oddities and strange things.

Two more.

This old doorbell attracted too many hands:

Which way?

How did I miss this? I guess it was my birthday and I was distracted with grandkids and just neglecting everything!

I find this so great, and contradictory, representing a good part of what we have to deal with, even when someone says, "Hi, how are you doing?" when they'd rather not have a conservations at all and certainly are not interested in an answer beyond, Great to see you too, old chap. We must keep contact!"

Asher

Asher Kelman

The best fitting english title would be 'Upgrade Path':

Michael,

This is admirable, and reminds of a picture with a go-cart in front of what in the U.K. would be "Council Housing" or in the USA, a "Project". The toy is s stand in for something bigger and then a metaphor for an entire set of journeys, from child hood to adulthood and then across the landscape to a seemingly endless, unknown, but actually finite journey!

Asher