• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Who likes the new style, “OPF Dark”

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I must say that I have now left behind my guilt at deserting a style that I have loved for 13 years!

I must commend Russ for migrating the original Claris Images artwork and in making this updated style in dark chocolate!

So how do you find this?

Are you happy with the move to the new platforn? Did we get it right?

Asher

Doug Kerr

As I mentioned elsewhere, I personally am not attracted to "dark" motifs. Many modern programs offer a dark "skin", and I usually decline it, or change from it if it is the default.

But this is perhaps inertial on my part.

As to the new forum platform overall, I think it is wonderful. Of course, there are a number of tweaks that are needed, but I think the matter is in good hands.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

......,I personally am not attracted to "dark" motifs. Many modern programs offer a dark "skin", and I usually decline it, or change from it if it is the default.

Doug,

Look at any modern photography processing software from PS & Lightroom to Capture One and more, all use a dark b.g. since it's recognized as perceptually better for editing images.

However, here we yearn to cater to an array of tastes and preferences. So it’s valuable for us to get color combinations that work for you. If any in the WWW or in your mind seem better than the current choices, then, (likely as not), your personal concept for what’s especially comfortable might be perfect for someone else too!

Anyway that’s the theory! ??

Asher

Asher Kelman

I generally prefer "light" motifs, so I did not change the forum default.

So do you feel the “light” version we have is optimum for you. If you have a novel preference, then that’s a help for others.

But I do suggest trying the “OPF Dark” choice as I did, (reluctantly at first), but now I’m utterly hooked!

Do you choose a light b.g. In Lightroom or Capture One?

Of course, I am not “right”! I’m just an unimportant bloke from the U.K. with strange baggy shorts enjoying a Bordeaux from a particular vineyard, imagining it’s the best every made!

Right now I think it would be great to offer several “light” options. So we are open to any discoveries from skins/styles anywhere you discover them.

Also any new requests besides

1.fixing “attach files” to appear everywhere
2.galleries
3.Https
4.starting to merge very similar forums

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
I must say that I have now left behind my guilt at deserting a style that I have loved for 13 years!

I must commend Russ for reinterpreting the original Claris Images artwork in making this updated style in dark chocolate!

So how do you find this?

Are you happy with the move to the new platforn? Did we get it right?

Asher
Sorry to contradict you Asher,
Let's render to Caesar what belongs to Caesar ...
The "Dark" style was created by me, as well as the "Gray" style also available here and that is ... clearer.
Russ has just converted (and that was certainly a real hard task!) the vBulletin's original style (created by me as well) from vBulletin to Xenforo ...

Asher Kelman

Sorry to contradict you Asher,
Let's render to Caesar what belongs to Caesar ...
The "Dark" style was created by me, as well as the "Gray" style also available here and that is ... clearer.
Russ has just converted (and that was certainly a real hard task!) the vBulletin's original style (created by me as well) from vBulletin to Xenforo ...

Correct me, Caesar, if I am wrong. I did render unto you here, “the original Claris Image Builder artwork”!

But although we do have a “Dark” style, and an easy on the eye, “Grey” style, as you point out, we now, have, (in addition), a novel “Dark-OPF” style. This, I believe is a brand new and original offering, to which, (being it’s mint chocolate), I’m utterly addicted, LOL!

For sure I created nothing, I just like chocolate!

...and the original quote says more:

Ἀπόδοτε οὖν τὰ Καίσαρος Καίσαρι καὶ τὰ τοῦ Θεοῦ τῷ Θεῷ (Attribited to the book termed “Matthew”, historicity, unknown).

So that adds the additional dictum, that also applies here:

But render unto God, what is to God!

?

Asher

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Did not see that "Dark OPF" is a copy of "Dark" except that the dark background is made possible with the improved logo thanks to the transparency that allows any background color. This is the very good reason why I sent you this logo 2 days ago…, emailing to you
I have uploaded the logo in PNG format (with transparency) so whatever the style is it will not appear as a sticker with a white background but will “adopt” the style bg color.
I'm glad that you adore the "OPF Dark" style as it is but I persist in claiming the paternity of this style : (

For that very same reason, I am not happy with the signature down below:
Design by: Pixel Exit

BTW Claris Images is in fact Claris Image Builder ; )

BTW 2
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressions_bibliques :
Rendre à César ce qui appartient à César : distinguer la loi humaine et la loi divine. Origine : rendez à César ce qui appartient à César, et à Dieu ce qui appartient à Dieu Mt 22. 21 [archive]. Il s’agit de la réponse de Jésus aux Pharisiens qui lui demandaient s’il était conforme à la loi juive de payer les impôts romains.

As an atheist (more and more every day) I adopt la "loi humaine" and not la "Loi divine"…
So yes:
Rendez à César ce qui appartient à César

Sorry…

PS And I'm wondering how the original "Dark" page BG has lost its dark bg of page (as I did for the "Grey" Style.
At that time OPF logo in the header appeared like a white sticker, this was not nice at all and this was the reason why I did edit a new OPF logo with transparency

Asher Kelman

Did not see that "Dark OPF" is a copy of "Dark" except that the dark background is made possible with the improved logo thanks to the transparency that allows any background color. This is the very good reason why I sent you this logo 2 days ago…, emailing to you
I'm glad that you adore the "OPF Dark" style as it is but I persist in claiming the paternity of this style : (

For that very same reason, I am not happy with the signature down below:
Design by: Pixel Exit

BTW 2
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expressions_bibliques :
Rendre à César ce qui appartient à César : distinguer la loi humaine et la loi divine. Origine : rendez à César ce qui appartient à César, et à Dieu ce qui appartient à Dieu Mt 22. 21 [archive]. Il s’agit de la réponse de Jésus aux Pharisiens qui lui demandaient s’il était conforme à la loi juive de payer les impôts romains.

As an atheist (more and more every day) I adopt la "loi humaine" and not la "Loi divine"…
So yes:
Rendez à César ce qui appartient à César

Sorry…

PS And I'm wondering how the original "Dark" page BG has lost its dark bg of page (as I did for the "Grey" Style.
At that time OPF logo in the header appeared like a white sticker, this was not nice at all and this was the reason why I did edit a new OPF logo with transparency

Hi Nicolas, my dear friend and generous artist for OPF from the outset! I will check the actual exact colors of “OPF Dark” in the morning. You may be correct. I will also reread your instructions for “what should be what” in your light versions and have those options maintained. One can not argue with the soul of “Wonder Woman”, the strength of “Hercules” or the “Respect” due Caesar!

Perhaps, “Design by: Pixel Exit” should be “Migration of Claris Image Builder Design by Pixel Exit”?

As to the book, I did point out it’s unknown historicity. The concept of the character, Jesus, remains as beautiful irrespective of its truth. We need examples of such men of honesty, directness and peace, in who’s path we could choose to follow, as long as it involves neither coercion nor disempowerment. I would never even attempt to address here any actual validity of the matter, as that is concerned with private faith and self-identity, for which we neither advocate, deny nor even debate!

Asher

Robert Watcher

My ancient brain has a very strong preference for reading black on white.
If I just want to browse images Dark OPF is very nice.

Switching is easy.

I agree with you. Black on white is easier for reading. I do like the dark theme and it blends well with my Mac OS experience. So it is great that I can switch to my feeling for the day. ?

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

As to the book, I did point out it’s unknown historicity. The concept of the character, Jesus, remains as beautiful irrespective of its truth. We need examples of such men of honesty, directness and peace, in who’s path we could choose to follow, as long as it involves neither coercion nor disempowerment. I would never even attempt to address here any actual validity of the matter, as that is concerned with private faith and self-identity, for which we neither advocate, deny nor even debate!

Well said.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

The ISO standard for the viewing of photographic prints (the 2000 version at least) prescribes that in the viewing context the print being examined should be surrounded by a region of neutral reflectivity and a reflectance in the range 10-60%. A reflectance of 20% is suggested when there is no consideration suggesting otherwise.

The surround should extend from the print by at least 1/3 the corresponding dimension of the print.

To follow that principle in an onscreen presentation would perhaps suggest a surrounding area of color (R-G-B in hex) 124-124-124 (sRGB color space assumed).

I do not mean to suggest that the context for viewing a print to which that standard pertains has the same criteria as the context of the forum, or the context of a photo editor.

A wholly different issue is whether a certain image "should be" presented with a "frame" and, if so, of what color(s), a decision that must be up to the presenter, and accordingly the image uploaded to the forum must include that "frame".

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

I have seen it said of the ISO standard for the viewing of photographic prints (and I do not have the standard itself, so I cannot opine on the aptness of that assertion) that in the viewing context the image being examined should be surrounded by a region of neutral reflectivity and a reflectance in the range 10-60%.

Well Doug,

Here you are in an imaginary darkened room with dark walls and a dark shirt with no color to distract your eyes and light level dim, but the color temp either 5,000 or 6,000 depending on the color temp of the light in your calibrated viewing box for your prints from the calibrated CMYK printer.

That is how we are guided to be actually viewing or editing images in photoshop or for printing.

This accepted set of conditions for setting up for judgement of color seems to have been adopted by Adobe, Phase One, On One and others for image viewing and editing.

Cambridge color, Fredmiranda and other photography sites have done that for decades.

Also, this is the basis of the longstanding urging of Antonio Correia for whom Nicolas Claris crafted our “Dark” style option for the b.g. years ago!

However, in OPF, we also welcome any new color scheme, more suited to your taste.

So try us!

As long as your scheme “works” with OPF logo artwork, “gratis” by Nicolas Claris, (perhaps the most important of our founders), we intend to adopt it too, as an option.

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
Here you are in an imaginary darkened room with dark walls and a dark shirt with no color to distract your eyes and light level dim,

And in this dark chamber, what chromatic adaptation will the viewer's eyes take on? Our perception of color in the image is greatly influenced by that, and the color space of the image is predicted on some assumption as to that.

But as to the forum, of course if the surround on the screen is not gigantic, then I will have the rest of my room (not darkened ordinarily) to influence my visual system's chromatic adaptation. So perhaps that is not the issue.

And as to the fact that many photo editors (in their "default" skins), and some other notable photographic forums have chosen a black or nearly-black surround, I'm sure this is in pursuit of some criteria. I just don't know what those are. Best color perception? The image seeming "brighter" and thus more handsome? Least eyestrain for the avid user? Fad?

Best regards,

Doug

fahim mohammed

I am dark enough!!
But whatever rocks one's boat!

Excellent updated and modern looking site. To Nicolas, yourself and all ( those who just worked, waited and/or prayed )..well done!!

Good luck and good OPFing.

p.s The forum ' Pet's Corner '..is something missing in the description?

Asher Kelman

I am dark enough!!
But whatever rocks one's boat!

Excellent updated and modern looking site. To Nicolas, yourself and all ( those who just worked, waited and/or prayed )..well done!!

Good luck and good OPFing.

Thanks so much. It’s a delight to have you back in our midst, dear Fahim!

Ayesha deserves an official OPF raveling photographer title!

p.s The forum ' Pet's Corner '..is something missing in the description?

Eagle eyes! I have corrected that

That help and much more is needed and appreciated as I am getting so cross-eyed that women now have 6 breasts. I swear!

Awkward, I admit, but fun to dance with!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Cambridge color, Fredmiranda and other photography sites have done that for decades.

Yes, at Cambridge in Colour, on the forums, the "default" motif uses a "border" for image presentation that is neutral with a relative luminance of about 5%. within a broader surround that is neutral with a relative luminance of about 4%

There are of course other motifs available. The basic "light" one uses very nearly a white border and surround.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

As long as your scheme “works” with OPF logo artwork, “gratis” by Nicolas Claris, (perhaps the most important of our founders), we intend to adopt it too, as an option.

I have no reason to propose a new color scheme. What is currently available works for me.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

I have decided to keep the "Dark OPF" color scheme in effect, and see how it "grows on me".

But I already find that, as I compose a message, the text is hard to see, owing to very low contrast. The background of the message composition screen is (R-G-B, hex) 33-33-33, while the characters are 92-92-92. This is (assuming the sRGB color space) corresponds to a contrast of only 8.9:1

That is perhaps very "stylish", but it is not the page that is supposed to the art here, and clear communication should be a major criterion.

Now, on the "preview" screen, the background is 26-26-26, so there is a bit more contrast there. And the same when viewing a post. But the contrast is still too feeble.

I urge that the character color in this scheme be made more nearly white (maybe even white).

Best regards,

Doug

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Nicolas, for your review, here are the two "Dark" styles side by side. You created the original version and provided alternative versions in light Gray plus a Dark version.
I have prepared a combined screen capture to allow easy comparison of the two versions.

Am I in error saying current Dark OPF is the new version I had Russ prepare? In any case, reviewing this chart might guide anyone else in their own search for what is most comfortable for their eyes and efficient for reading.

To me it appears that Dark OPF is an updated version of your design with different colors.

No matter who did the latest OPF Dark version, it has your design DNA and all our appreciation

Thanks,

Asher

Asher Kelman

Doug, Jerome and Nicolas et al

Examining the two side by side gives me two impressions:

1. Next to the golden Sienna colors of the OPF banner, buttons and bars, the actually pure neutral blacks and greys seem, on my iPhone 6+ At least, to be fused with dark chocolate,(with a tad of green-mint perhaps. At least that’s my perception! In my color-calibrated Eizo monitor, however, blacks are pure to the eye.

Sometimes, even on the Eizo 21” monitor, in narrow areas next to the Sienna banners or text I might be fooled that perhaps there is a very sparse contamination with brown. But I am not certain of this possibility as mostly blacks appear clean and pure.

So this could either be a perception issue on a small screen or else, perhaps the Apple iPhone is not representing colors as well as one would expect.

Well this has been measured here and in bright areas of the gamut, only in the red-magenta area of the gamut do iphones appear to start deviate from reference colors to 3 “perception units”. They do not show data for colors centered on black. This could have the larger perceived differences, (that I have become convinced of), with pure blacks on the iPhone 6+. If I find any definitive data I will update this comment!

Such differences, real or perceived, could have significance in any desire to edit photos on line with an iPhone and likely other mobiles!

2. The brightness of the text in the original “Dark” style provides strong and even extreme contrast, while in the “OPF Dark” style, the text is far less bright and so, as Doug points out, the text, while beautiful and restful, might not have optimal contrast for everyone’s taste and needs.

However, I believe this “OPF Dark” style is close to fabulous! But can we do better with it as one of the choices derived from all Nicolas’ huge design effort which got us going!

So examine these styles and look at other sources and let me know if we should try to develop a version of “OPF Dark” style with somewhat brighter text?

Asher