• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

RECENT versus NEW but Unseen posts

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Peter expressed concern that Doug’s post on Carla's acrylic version of homie sunset picture, (he wanted to comment on), in “New Posts” had vanished!

That term “New Posts” was misleading as it really meant, New Posts that you have not looked at even for a second!

Notice I have changed “New Posts” to “New not Seen” so that should help differentiate between what you have and haven’t reviewed!

Asher

Doug Kerr

When I look at "New not seen" [sic], I find my post on Carla's painting below the bar labeled "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit ".

Doug

Asher Kelman

When I look at "New not seen" [sic], I find my post on Carla's painting below the bar labeled "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit ".

Doug

We are only concerned with the behavior of the highlighted list “new but not seen” or words to that effect.

So once you have looked at it, renew the page and try again?

It should now be no longer appearing in that list but will still be in Recent posts!

Let me know!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

We are only concerned with the behavior of the highlighted list “new but not seen” or words to that effect.

So once you have looked at it, renew the page and try again?

It should now be no longer appearing in that list but will still be in Recent posts!

Let me know!

I looked at this post for perhaps one minute, then closed that browser instance.

I opened a browser instance and went to OPF>Recent Posts>New not seen. This post was still listed "above the bar".

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Hi, Asher,

I looked at this post for perhaps one minute, then closed that browser instance.

I opened a browser instance and went to OPF>Recent Posts>New not seen. This post was still listed "above the bar".

Best regards,

Doug

I'm sorry that I missed an important factor here: the showing in bold the names of threads whose latest post not been yet looked at by the observer.

I dunno how that is done, but it seems to work OK here.

As to above or below the "bar", I have always assumed that is based on the time stamps of the last post. But maybe not.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

Explain to me the phenomenon as if I knew zero about the forum.

Then I can see if we in fact need anything.

The icon of a lightening bolt on the top right of the icon bar, gives “Latest Posts”

Similarly if one goes to FORUMS and scrolls down near end and lose to “Who is online”

When you have reviewed it let me know what is missing!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Explain to me the phenomenon as if I knew zero about the forum.

Then I can see if we in fact need anything.

The icon of a lightening bolt on the top right of the icon bar, gives “Latest Posts”

On what page should I be to see this lightning bolt?

Similarly if one goes to FORUMS and scrolls down near end and lose to “Who is online”

Please try than sentence again.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

For what it's worth, I normally access the forum with a shortcut to this address (poisoned with a prefix "X" so it does not become "linkified":

Xhttps://openphotographyforums.com/forums/whats-new/posts

It seems to take me to the same place I would go to if, on a page that has this, I do What's new>New Posts.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Oh I get it.

On my Forum page I don't scroll down to Members Online since I'm looking at the page on a old-timey computer and not a pocket telephone. So here that section is on the upper right.

And there I see an icon of a lightning bolt labeled "New posts".

And if I click on it, it seems to take me to the same page I get from (from pages that have this) What's new>New posts.

Best regards,

Doug