• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Road Kill

Tom dinning

Registrant*
_DSF2715.jpg

Hello, Each and every one of you.

I had a dream. A re-occurring one.
I am a dog, a hound, lean and hungry.
I return to the same place each day anticipating the carcass of anything.
Today is my lucky day. There is blood on the bitumen.
I sniff inquisitively. The odour is familiar.
I look long and hard at the scraps of fur. I know the colour, the texture.
I look at the torn ear and the worn pads. Years of fighting before its death.
It's me. I am looking at my own remains, flattened by the traffic that has passed this way.
I look up. A truck appears at the crossroad.
It speeds at me, ignoring my presence. I hear the breaks.
I wake.
I must remember to get fuel for the car.

Tom

Tom dinning

Registrant*
My favourite books are Man Shy by F D Davidson and Fluke by Frank Herbert, both stories of autobiographical animals.

The quality of life in the streets isn't just about humans. Interaction takes place everywhere. My great-granddaughter, being of indigenous origin, has been shown the way of traditional story telling and will often create stories where she is an animal. She has a preference for butterflies. What 8 years old wouldn't? She's currently writing a short story where she is a magpie.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

On revisiting this image it occurs to me that you might perhaps have started with a vertical shot and cropped it?

Or maybe you took more.

Such an image where one is going towards the horizon and thence to infinity, seems to ask for a portrait mode shot!

...but likely as not, there is this and I will enjoy it as you intended!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Tom,

On revisiting this image it occurs to me that you might perhaps have started with a vertical shot and cropped it?

Or maybe you took more.

Such an image where one is going towards the horizon and thence to infinity, seems to ask for a portrait mode shot!

...but likely as not, there is this and I will enjoy it as you intended!

Asher

As taken, Ash. Marginal cropping for leveling.
One shot.
Dogs don’t hold to having their photos taken.
I added the blood as an afterthought. Like W H Turner.
If I took it as you suggested it might have some commercial appeal.
Now, I wouldn’t want that, would I?

Asher Kelman

Thanks for the answer.

I am not on any quest for money-making pictures just dots that are impressive and have human value somehow.

But was interested in any other ideas you had at the time. Do you just tend to take a single shot?

I am often not certain, myselfy and take a few variants!Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Very much a spur of the moment shooter.
One shot then I’m off, usually being dragged by my camera strap to the next shop or scene by the Director of Tourism.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Thanks for the answer.

I am not on any quest for money-making pictures just dots that are impressive and have human value somehow.

But was interested in any other ideas you had at the time. Do you just tend to take a single shot?

I am often not certain, myselfy and take a few variants!Asher
You’ve got my head going now.
I was watching a program last night and someone took a photo then another and another, all of the same thing.
Is that a characteristic of the digital photographer or someone who doesn’t trust themselves to get it right the first time.

Or perhaps other reasons.

Asher Kelman

You’ve got my head going now.
I was watching a program last night and someone took a photo then another and another, all of the same thing.
Is that a characteristic of the digital photographer or someone who doesn’t trust themselves to get it right the first time.

Or perhaps other reasons.
“Right” doesn’t exist in art or photography unless one is documenting a crime scene or scientific experiment or a finish of a race!

The camera only samples light!

Nothing more, nothing less!

Don’t make “one shot” photography anything but an unimportant choice!

It’s more like cooking, one sprinkles herbs and stirs a little longer and then one tastes again until it meets ones wishes!

But if you pay me to cover an event with singles shots, sure, fine by me!

Otherwise I have no idea in advance how many shots I need or if any at all!

I can even setup, everything as I planned and then pack up without a shot! When it comes purely from ones passion, each person makes their own rules!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
“Right” doesn’t exist in art or photography unless one is documenting a crime scene or scientific experiment or a finish of a race!

The camera only samples light!

Nothing more, nothing less!

Don’t make “one shot” photography anything but an unimportant choice!

It’s more like cooking, one sprinkles herbs and stirs a little longer and then one tastes again until it meets ones wishes!

But if you pay me to cover an event with singles shots, sure, fine by me!

Otherwise I have no idea in advance how many shots I need or if any at all!

I can even setup, everything as I planned and then pack up without a shot! When it comes purely from ones passion, each person makes their own rules!

Asher

I thoroughly agree.

It’s like all things. We make choices according to our own beliefs and circumstances.
As long as they do no one intentional harm I figure mine are OK.

But like the actor on the stage, there is always someone in the audience who will beg to differ. The actor plays his part. He isn’t responsible for ensuring everyone enjoys the show.