• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Perspective, Planet: Negawatt - The energy that does not need to be produced avoids CO2 as well

Michael Nagel

There is a lot of focus on different sources of energy, there needs to be more focus on energy efficiency.
The expression Negawatt was coined by Amory Lovins (Rocky Mountain Institute), there is a think tank in France called négaWatt Association.

A picture showing coexistence of photo-voltaic panels and agriculture:

In the background on the right you can see a field converted to photo-voltaic energy only.

Michael

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Michael,

Pleased to see this. I will follow the link.

I wonder what the accounting is for the carbon footprint of manufacture and maintenance.

I suppose it’s like the investment we make in a factory or in infrastructure one needs to put cash value on the benefits and then look at the number of years that investment will accrue and the cost of recycling.

But even if we are just learning, it’s good to see the direction we are going.

Thanks for the link!

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Well, as great as it is, there is a lot of energy and pollution going into this which needs to be considered of course.

Here in Germany, in the 70s a big move towards renewable energy already started and our EEG law was passed
which basically used a few cents from every consumed kilowatthour consumed to subsidize such renewables
(wind, geothermal, photovoltaics etc.) and now decades later, we seems to have achieved a lot. Too bad the awareness
in the US just seemed to have started, but now with 45 I have serious doubts how this will go ....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Well, as great as it is, there is a lot of energy and pollution going into this which needs to be considered of course.

Here in Germany, in the 70s a big move towards renewable energy already started and our EEG law was passed
which basically used a few cents from every consumed kilowatthour consumed to subsidize such renewables
(wind, geothermal, photovoltaics etc.) and now decades later, we seems to have achieved a lot. Too bad the awareness
in the US just seemed to have started, but now with 45 I have serious doubts how this will go ....

Klaus,

“45” is just an embarrassing abscess of the hot weather on the arse of long distance runner. Yes it’s foul and painful and we don’t walk too elegantly at the moment, but the boil with drain and we’ll heal and he will be no more important to history than Anthony Eden, Carter’s Macron’s driver!

Asher