• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Barred Owl

Don Ferguson Jr.

Great finding this juvenile barred owl at the local swamp early in the morning.
Don

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interesting that the rib cage is said to be far stronger than that of an eagle! They also have especially powerful muscle type!

Asher

Asher Kelman

They have such black eyes. I wouldn't want to be a mouse with that looking at me!
Lucky for the mouse he almost never hears or sees the shadow and talons before it’s pierced with that ripping peak!

But if it doesn’t die and is carried away, that’s terror!

Asher

Peter Dexter

Owls have specially designed feathers that make them noiseless so indeed the mouse doesn't hear it coming. However it is most unlikely the mouse dies during the attack. Instead it is carried to a branch where it is pulled apart alive. I watched a Sharp-shinned Hawk do that to a Red-bellied Woodpecker. What most likely happens is the victim goes into shock.

Asher Kelman

Owls have specially designed feathers that make them noiseless so indeed the mouse doesn't hear it coming. However it is most unlikely the mouse dies during the attack. Instead it is carried to a branch where it is pulled apart alive. I watched a Sharp-shinned Hawk do that to a Red-bellied Woodpecker. What most likely happens is the victim goes into shock.

Peter,

But it’s hard for me to fathom, (a loving & fatherly), “Supreme Being” designing this tearing apart of living creatures!

But that is just me!

Asher

Asher Kelman

...and I was thinking I need a new APS-Camera!

Mind you nothing seems more compact and bespoke than Robert Watcher’s MFT Olympus with a 150-300mm lens which behaves like it goes to 600mm. I wonder how it would compare to using your setup?

Asher