• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Memoriam: A Korean Wonder, Rebel and Voice

James Lemon

How can humanity go on without her? My cat died on Wednesday and he was only two. Who cares how she dressed and why do I need to know whether or not she wore a bra?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
How can humanity go on without her? My cat died on Wednesday and he was only two. Who cares how she dressed and why do I need to know whether or not she wore a bra?

Nothing to do with those dressing choices. See if you can imagine why is significant today.

Besides, who are you to compare her to your cat? That’s not merely dismissive about her but represents what of you?

Asher

James Lemon

Nothing to do with those dressing choices. See if you can imagine why is significant today.

Besides, who are you to compare her to your cat? That’s not merely dismissive about her but represents what of you?

Asher
Asher

Maybe you should emphasize the importance of this event to warrant such a heading as"Breaking News" ? I thought such a heading would be reserved for something like the 911 attacks on the world trade center or the assassination of a prominent figure or something of a more serious nature.

James

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Well, in that case, you are correct.

The Korean society is flourishing economically and is an extreme example of the growth of modern luxury seeking societies, where the old social values have been replaced by hedonism and yet paradoxically conservatives at the same time. The society is harsh to anyone who steps out of line. Whereas north ?Korea has speakers in lampposts to spread the adoration of the "Supreme Leader," in South Korea the adoration is for the individual who has "followers" in social media. The North tolerates no dissent. But in the South, they are also intolerant of new voices and there is disdain, rejection and cyberbullying and consequently, increase in suicides.

Hers was such a voice and was extinguished by social totalitarianism. In that its important as its a symptom of a ironically successful but peaking society in actual decline, although they are blind to it. The young by an overwhelming majority are not getting married and the birth rate has plummeted below replacement numbers. In that context, her death is significant if one can view the changes in society as I do as Gomperzian and tragic. This is what seems to happen to many societies that blossom for a while.

In that case, its as important as 911 but hardly as dramatic and requires some meditation and thought to realize how serious things really are.

Asher

James Lemon

Well, in that case, you are correct.

The Korean society is flourishing economically and is an extreme example of the growth of modern luxury seeking societies, where the old social values have been replaced by hedonism and yet paradoxically conservatives at the same time. The society is harsh to anyone who steps out of line. Whereas north ?Korea has speakers in lampposts to spread the adoration of the "Supreme Leader," in South Korea the adoration is for the individual who has "followers" in social media. The North tolerates no dissent. But in the South, they are also intolerant of new voices and there is disdain, rejection and cyberbullying and consequently, increase in suicides.

Hers was such a voice and was extinguished by social totalitarianism. In that its important as its a symptom of a ironically successful but peaking society in actual decline, although they are blind to it. The young by an overwhelming majority are not getting married and the birth rate has plummeted below replacement numbers. In that context, her death is significant if one can view the changes in society as I do as Gomperzian and tragic. This is what seems to happen to many societies that blossom for a while.

In that case, its as important as 911 but hardly as dramatic and requires some meditation and thought to realize how serious things really are.

Asher

Well I am moving to Bhutan and become a farmer and give up all my electronic devices. Here they measure growth by happiness.

James

Last edited:

Peter Dexter

Is there any indication of what drove her to suicide? As she was a spokesperson for what one might call personality disorders perhaps my question is moot. Who'd a thunk back in the nineteen eighties the invention of the internet would so completely take over so many peoples' lives and cause so many suicides.

Asher Kelman

Is there any indication of what drove her to suicide? As she was a spokesperson for what one might call personality disorders perhaps my question is moot. Who'd a thunk back in the nineteen eighties the invention of the internet would so completely take over so many peoples' lives and cause so many suicides.
Peter,

What’s so extraordinary is that we as a species are so readily oppressed by either leaders, beliefs, magic or our overlapping delusions.

For children in movies or pop stars, there’s an “absorbing” of a craving for recognition, every hour of the day and it becomes an obsession! It can be so destructive of free thought and the possibility of relaxation.

It’s probably no less damaging than the voices praising the “supreme leader on loudspeakers in North Korea!

Except we seem to do this of our own free will!

A free society can’t work with us being so damn drunk with infectious memes, whether it’s to be famous, popular or holy!

Asher