• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just a wee Robin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wow! You are certainly getting great use out of your 600 mm lens. How far away do you think you were?

Does your lens have IS?

I am wondering whether having a strobe would be an advantage since I am thinking of trying this with an inexpensive used Canon 600 mm AF lens when I get a Fuji MF with image stabilization!

Asher

Wow! You are certainly getting great use out of your 600 mm lens. How far away do you think you were?

Does your lens have IS?

I am wondering whether having a strobe would be an advantage since I am thinking of trying this with an inexpensive used Canon 600 mm AF lens when I get a Fuji MF with image stabilization!

Asher

Hi Asher.
There is no stabilization on the big lens. the Robin was about 25ft away. I have a Godox ad200 pocket flash I may give it a wee go. I will post some results in due course when I get the time.

Goggs

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher.
There is no stabilization on the big lens. the Robin was about 25ft away. I have a Godox ad200 pocket flash I may give it a wee go. I will post some results in due course when I get the time.

Goggs
Gordon,

Your proposed test with the Godox AD200 will be instructive. Look at the “Better Beamer” and the like! I would like to know whether the light is powerful enough or whether the 400 watt second bigger brother is required. One can carry the pack in a backpack.

Your test is going to be valuable!

Asher

Gordon,

Your proposed test with the Godox AD200 will be instructive. Look at the “Better Beamer” and the like! I would like to know whether the light is powerful enough or whether the 400 watt second bigger brother is required. One can carry the pack in a backpack.

Your test is going to be valuable!

Asher
The ad200 is 3x more powerful than a standard speedlite.

The only thing I would suggest very strongly is to pop a clear poly bag over the strobe to protect it from the bird poo.... lol

Asher Kelman

The ad200 is 3x more powerful than a standard speedlite.

The only thing I would suggest very strongly is to pop a clear poly bag over the strobe to protect it from the bird poo.... lol
Its the inverse square law that worries me more than bird poop, I hadn’t thought of that, risk, I must admit!

Asher

Its the inverse square law that worries me more than bird poop, I hadn’t thought of that, risk, I must admit!

Asher

Lol should be plenty power from the ad200 with a 16" Octobox fitted. Just need a big poly bag. I will give it a go over the coming weeks and get back to you with the results.. :)

Asher Kelman

Lol should be plenty power from the ad200 with a 16" Octobox fitted. Just need a big poly bag. I will give it a go over the coming weeks and get back to you with the results.. :)
Not the 16” octabox! We have to narrow the beam so it goes further. 16” octabox diffuses and allows the light to diverge immediately over a broad area within 6 ft from the surface already.

We need to force the beam to be compressed and stay strong and so project further. A “Beamer” device with a fresnel lens on the flash does this admirably!

This way, the power level of the flash can be decreased by several stops and the battery will last all day

Asher