• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Young woman in red trousers preparing tea

Antonio Correia

I really like wide angle lenses...
Shot in India... we were offered this very tea which was quite pleasant to drink. Fantastic people ! :)

i-czsT4W5-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I really like wide angle lenses...
Shot in India... we were offered this very tea which was quite pleasant to drink. Fantastic people ! :)

What an adorable woman! Here home is modest but very personal and adapted to her.

Interesting sight: the construction makes it hard to know exact orientation as there is nothing exactly orthogonal! Everything appears made of scaps of wood: the walls, shelves and even the cooking stove! She sits, or perhaps better said, squats on the bare floor! She must be physically very fit to do that.

Not an easy life, for sure, but she is very well organized and neat and tidy.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Very nice composition and color. You're far more courageous than I though for drinking that offering.
I was offered tea by a woman with a giant scythe, cutting wheat in a field in Eastern Turkey.

Likely as not it was safe to go off with her and the tea would have been refreshing, but I held off out of lack of secure knowledge of safety!

However, in Greece, I accepted such a generous invitation and was surprised to get served dinner too.

Yes, Antonio is courageous, to say the least!

Asher

Antonio Correia

...She sits, or perhaps better said, squats on the bare floor! She must be physically very fit to do that. Not an easy life, for sure, but she is very well organized and neat and tidy. Asher

Well... Luisa squats like that, Asher. She is very flexible.
And Indians are quite often in that position. Like seating by the road watching people passing by...
I found easily an example fo a man seating like that

i-fwWMcWN-X3.jpg

Antonio Correia

Very nice composition and color. You're far more courageous than I though for drinking that offering.
Peter, It wouldn't be kind to refuse. I know it can be dangerous. The tea was not served in a cup but in a saucer. (I mean the plate where is placed the cup)
The tea was very sweet...
It was brought by this young boy. We were supposed to give a tip because we were visiting. No offense whatsoever

i-dHfDdZd-X3.jpg

The hut and a tree with drying clothes
i-6mRgmpG-X3.jpg

The hut with the bed outside and working instruments
i-HqMF7Mg-X3.jpg

And the hut where the tea was made and people cooked their meals !
i-TNk4pMb-X3.jpg

It is fantastic how some people live in the certain parts of the World. One needs to travel to enrich himself !
We do take so care, indeed but this time we just couldn't refuse !​

Asher Kelman

Unfortunately they are living practically in conditions of early pottery paleo human settlements in the Fertile Crescent, a mix of domesticated grains and animals plus hunting to survive.

Sad that this planet can’t do better!

.....,one storm or poor harvest and they are dependent of charity!

Asher Kelman

Look at their fresh water supply on the left. Blue Plastic Jerry-Cans! Where do they fill them?

The pots and bowls for preparing food in a pile. The lone hoe resting nowcon the ground from opening up the dry land for planting.

The prized motor bike from the family or perhaps a son returning from a job in the City!

The folk have richly detailed life with scant protection from the elements!

But how happy where they?

How hospitable?

How generous?

Did they accept money?

Do we lead them astray?

How does your visit alter them?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Asher, they were very kind, they hardly understand English and they are very poor. You have seen how children dress, bare feet...
I don't think our visit changed anything in their lives after all we were just another anonymous tourist passing by.
The man was working on the extraction of salt with plastic sandals as we see. Nice images but hard work !
Here a couple more of photos from location.

i-NwdcPHC-X3.jpg

i-J6mT8dk-X3.jpg

i-KdMRGFX-X3.jpg

i-2mmcWJP-X3.jpg

i-5msD2bN-X3.jpg

Asher Kelman

Your incredible pictures raise so many important social and moral questions for us!

This one sticks in my brain!

Tell me, Antonio,

Is having lots of children critical to the family income and support structure?

Where exactly is this?

What number of people on the planet could be living at this level of subsistance?

Are the kids educated to have a chance to do other jobs?

How will global warming effect this family if at all?

Do the Woman have rights?

Asher