• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!
Status
Not open for further replies.

James Lemon

California has something like 14,000 giant fans that have been abandoned – erected in the late 1980s they lasted less than 20 years – most were clapped-out by 1998 – before the enormous cost of maintaining them saw them left to rust:

So, you’re thinking, only in America could wind power outfits get away with leaving thousands of giant fans to rust in the paddock. Well, think again.

The company that wind power outfits use to hold the land holder agreements with farmers is usually a $2 company with no real assets and, therefore, the “promise” contained in those agreements to decommission turbines isn’t worth the paper it’s written on: the parent company will simply let the company with the land holder agreement be wound up in insolvency; and host farmers were too gullible to obtain decommissioning bonds to ensure the clean-up costs are covered. And planning authorities were just as stupid – they could have easily forced developers to provide decommissioning bonds as a condition of granting planning consent, but generally failed to do so.

So, once these things are past their economic use by dates, their owners will cut and run in a heartbeat. Expect to see fleets of dilapidated fans rusting on Australian ridge-lines in the not too distant future.

https://stopthesethings.com/2014/05/28/wind-turbines-lucky-to-last-10-years/

Andy brown

More inaccurate woo woo from our resident fuckknuckle.
Please leave Australia out of this Lemon you fucking tool. Australia is currently in severe drought, is burning at unprecedented levels and everyone is either exhausted, sleep deprived, breathing in thick acrid smoke or is in a state of shock or all of thee above.
Houses, wildlife, livestock are being sozzled.
Take your ridiculous, aggressive pro fossil fuel stance somewhere else.
You are clearly brainwashed by the right wing fossil fuel supported propaganda.
You believe every nutcase denialist while rubbishing the overwhelming quality peer reviewed science as well as the increasingly overwhelming evidence.
Fuck off. Just fuck off!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
James,

This rhetoric, so political and harsh, even if true, is utterly unacceptable!

This is especially true now, at such a stressful time for Australians beset with drought: firefighters dying, houses and families ruined as an entire continent suffers unrelenting heat.

This is a very serious situation.

We can’t allow frivolous and inconsiderate joking around and harsh rhetoric, when an entire nation is so imprisoned in smoke heat and tragedy. We can’t be heartless and irresponsible in addition to allowing you to select facts to make political assertions.

So how do we post about industrial challenges? Sounds difficult!.

This will help!

First plan to start with photographs you take!

Here’s are the 3 relevant rules for all future posts:

1. Original Art can, if you wish, (and have the skills), carry diverse agendas: social needs, existential issue for life, religion, magic and/or social preferences,

.....and only then the very, very briefest incidental political position at the end.

2. Politics, racism, xenophobia, intolerance, science denial, can’t be the spine, hidden driving force or sentiment in posts under the guise of art.

3. Know the difference and be nice and respectful to the other folk in the tour bus!

Asher

James Lemon

James,

This rhetoric, so political and harsh, even if true, is utterly unacceptable!

This is especially true now, at such a stressful time for Australians beset with drought: firefighters dying, houses and families ruined as an entire continent suffers unrelenting heat.

This is a very serious situation.

We can’t allow frivolous and inconsiderate joking around and harsh rhetoric, when an entire nation is so imprisoned in smoke heat and tragedy. We can’t be heartless and irresponsible in addition to allowing you to select facts to make political assertions.

So how do we post about industrial challenges? Sounds difficult!.

This will help!

First plan to start with photographs you take!

Here’s are the 3 relevant rules for all future posts:

1. Original Art can, if you wish, (and have the skills), carry diverse agendas: social needs, existential issue for life, religion, magic and/or social preferences,

.....and only then the very, very briefest incidental political position at the end.

2. Politics, racism, xenophobia, intolerance, science denial, can’t be the spine, hidden driving force or sentiment in posts under the guise of art.

3. Know the difference and be nice and respectful to the other folk in the tour bus!

Asher

What? Not sure I get the connection Asher how you can conflate a story about the poor performance of windmills with fires in Australia? Nothing political about it.

James

Last edited:

Andy brown

Gee James, let me spell it out for you.
You are on a political crusade. You brought up Australia (because you are an antagonist arsehole), are you keeping up?...... whirr clunk goes James’ brain, whirr clunk.... whirr...
.......,clunk.
By your reckoning, every single turbine in California is broken.
One day, you’re gonna wake up when Anthropogenic Climate change visits some hell on your sorry arse and realise
you’ve been batting for filthy corporate greed and doing it a disgusting and ugly way.
Your next generation (your kids, nieces, nephews) will be appalled by your actions and words.
Stop being so brutally obtuse.
And oh, yeah, again, fuck you and fuck off!

Asher Kelman

What? Not sure I get the connection Asher how you can conflate a story about the poor performance of windmills with fires in Australia? Nothing political about it.

James

James,
Res Ipsa loquitur:

1. You refer to Wind turbines as “fans” a hostile, dismissive, mocking diminutive and sarcastic term. That displays your primary motive is extreme political dislike of the idea of wind turbine clean energy.

2. That projects fail is part of business: 90% of new car companies, plane companies and start up companies and restaurants fail, that’s the nature of business. In the case of wind turbines, the UK has now succeeded in two entire weeks of not burning any fossil fuels and relied on green energy instead. The success of wind farms is so great that vast amounts of free market capital is being invested in far larger turbines and off shore farms as the technology is now mature and highly efficient to attract profit making capital.

3. You wrote

“Expect to see fleets of dilapidated fans rusting on Australian ridge-lines in the not too distant future.”

Why pull in Australia into your very biased selective view on Wind generated energy?

That was arrogant and cruel at this time, even if true!

I don’t care that fortunes were wasted on movies, chemical companies, bridges to nowhere or diversion to corrupt officials! It has nothing to do with a balanced rational view.

The facts are clear.

We make progress by different groups taking risks and competition forces the best outcome. The poor guesses end up failing. The best science generally wins out. In this case we have, after many decades of competition, mature efficient wind turbines that are profitable.

Instead of looking at the entire already of projects, you choose to relate some failed wind farms failure as some “proof” that wind turbine technology is some foolish joke or con.

...and then, by the poorest choice, set up your imagined disaster scene in the one country where people are RIGHT THIS MOMENT stressed out and sleepless because of murderous heat and unending fires!

Why did you make such a particular choice? How did Australia get chosen for you doomsday catastrophic scene of a wasteland of worthless engineering?

Rather than answer to refute my statements, I urge you to start documenting wind farms that fail and those that work with a chance to show us the beauty, (or not), of these areas. Photography would seem to be a perfect way of starting to describe and document these landscape changing mammoth projects.

Photographs of the farmers and their families and the ways that the energy farms impact community would be very interesting and well received.

Please let’s not start any post with a political spine.

If you catch the Pope slapping another devout catholic or a dictator being assassinated please post it here!

But unless we are posting such news or about a massacre, flood, starvation and the like, politics is out of bounds as a driving force in OPF discussion.

At the least your own original photography is needed!

We are photographers and we want to share ideas and art based on and energized by our skills and our post processing to embed our esthetic feelings and our critical thinking.

This forum is no place for purely political voices as we are a diverse mutually supportive group, joined only in a passion for photography.

Allow us to enjoy your photography again, as this political track is unacceptable and divisive and destructive to our group spirit!

This is 2020, please start over and reset all the buttons on your camera!

Thanks again,

Asher

Asher Kelman

James,

Please only the photos requested by Jérôme, as then we can then end this thread logically and return to photography.

This section is for your photography, other folks pictures very occasionally, but no politics!

That is the strict rule for members.

🙏

James Lemon

This article was published in 2014. One of the first paragraphs reads: "SCOTLAND’S LANDSCAPE could be blighted by the rotting remains of a failed regeneration of windfarms, according to a scathing new report.". Do you have pictures of that "blighted landscape"?

Jerome

My original post refers to the importance of having proper contingencies being in place for decommissioning after its economic use.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Gee James, let me spell it out for you.
You are on a political crusade. You brought up Australia (because you are an antagonist arsehole), are you keeping up?...... whirr clunk goes James’ brain, whirr clunk.... whirr...
.......,clunk.
By your reckoning, every single turbine in California is broken.
One day, you’re gonna wake up when Anthropogenic Climate change visits some hell on your sorry arse and realise
you’ve been batting for filthy corporate greed and doing it a disgusting and ugly way.
Your next generation (your kids, nieces, nephews) will be appalled by your actions and words.
Stop being so brutally obtuse.
And oh, yeah, again, fuck you and fuck off!
Andy
Looks like you’ve taken over from my in the name calling category. Not bad for a beginner.
Did you call james a low life dead shit? I have the perfect remedial for you.
I’ll send you some happy pills and a few drops of medicinal marijuana. Use sparingly.
Imagine your trying to convince the pope there isn’t a god, or my great grand daughter there’s no Santa, or my wife when I tell her I don’t know how to fix the kitchen sink leak.
There’s a point when you will realise it’s pointless. All that happens is you shorten your own life by a few nanoseconds and some hair falls out.
i know we don’t have a ‘freedom of speech’ clause in our constitution. In fact we don’t even have a constitution. How the fuck did that happen.
nevertheless, it’s actually pretty harmless rhetoric James is sprouting. I bit like vomit from a sick cat.
starngely enough, I think he’s got a point. Steel does rust.
beyond that he’s talking unsubstantiated twoddle.
the best option is to ignore him. Don’t give him wind for his sails (or for his windmills).
you can guarantee all the people seriously working on solutions are plodding along quietly with noise reduction earphones on so they can get some work done.
there’s a bit of a compromise here as well. We need answers and actions faster than we can come up with reliable solutions.
Don’t panic. Someone in the future will benefit.
I recently read that some Prof has come up with an way of altering damaged heart muscle so it can be useful again.
The bad news for me is he’s still working on it. Another 10 years he reckons. Now I’m not going to hurry him. I’d like the results now but if he’s a bit off he might do more damage than good. So I’ll let the next generation benefit.

It’s always the case. Science discoverers, techs make it work, industrialists cock it up, people die, science finds a cure.
Meanwhile, politicians fight over everything, wars start and finish, people die. I read somewhere once that there have only been a few weeks of peace in the last 2020 years.
if it’s not one way it’s another.

this could be the drugs talking here. If it seems a bit patronising it’s what the drugs do. Nice. It’s like 3 shots of whisky without the hangover and the ice.

good luck with telling James to fuck off. He’s like dog shit on your shoes.

James Lemon

Andy
Looks like you’ve taken over from my in the name calling category. Not bad for a beginner.
Did you call james a low life dead shit? I have the perfect remedial for you.
I’ll send you some happy pills and a few drops of medicinal marijuana. Use sparingly.
Imagine your trying to convince the pope there isn’t a god, or my great grand daughter there’s no Santa, or my wife when I tell her I don’t know how to fix the kitchen sink leak.
There’s a point when you will realise it’s pointless. All that happens is you shorten your own life by a few nanoseconds and some hair falls out.
i know we don’t have a ‘freedom of speech’ clause in our constitution. In fact we don’t even have a constitution. How the fuck did that happen.
nevertheless, it’s actually pretty harmless rhetoric James is sprouting. I bit like vomit from a sick cat.
starngely enough, I think he’s got a point. Steel does rust.
beyond that he’s talking unsubstantiated twoddle.
the best option is to ignore him. Don’t give him wind for his sails (or for his windmills).
you can guarantee all the people seriously working on solutions are plodding along quietly with noise reduction earphones on so they can get some work done.
there’s a bit of a compromise here as well. We need answers and actions faster than we can come up with reliable solutions.
Don’t panic. Someone in the future will benefit.
I recently read that some Prof has come up with an way of altering damaged heart muscle so it can be useful again.
The bad news for me is he’s still working on it. Another 10 years he reckons. Now I’m not going to hurry him. I’d like the results now but if he’s a bit off he might do more damage than good. So I’ll let the next generation benefit.

It’s always the case. Science discoverers, techs make it work, industrialists cock it up, people die, science finds a cure.
Meanwhile, politicians fight over everything, wars start and finish, people die. I read somewhere once that there have only been a few weeks of peace in the last 2020 years.
if it’s not one way it’s another.

this could be the drugs talking here. If it seems a bit patronising it’s what the drugs do. Nice. It’s like 3 shots of whisky without the hangover and the ice.

good luck with telling James to fuck off. He’s like dog shit on your shoes.

Its all about the economy stupid! The bigger the lie the more people believe it, anyone who thinks its about environmental policy is a pawn. Let me know when your techs figure out how to extinguish bush fires. "Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities".

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Private messages on this topic will be read with an open mind, but we need to focus on the core of OPF which is our photography!

Asher

Status
Not open for further replies.