• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Shadow Lines.

Tom dinning

Registrant*
6F52A5F2-BA5F-49BF-8FDF-C47E59B52EDA.jpeg

I read, with total disinterest

I read, with total disinterest and a modicum of contempt, in another place, by another so-called photographer, of the importance of demonstrating detail in shadow.
It’s as if said so-called has no imagination. Nor does it want others to confuse the viewer by presenting parts of an image that might not reveal their true nature.
Shame, really.
Shadows present so many opportunities for the photographer to express ideas far beyond reality.
Think of all the imagery and fantasy a shadow allows you to set free your feelings and experience the peculiar workings of suggestion.
Fear, evil, mystery, temptation, along with puppetry, Wayang, sinister behaviour, form, distortion, the coming and going of the Sun, shifting clouds.
I even know when a bird flies over my house or someone is at the front door by the shadow cast across the floor.
All this is because we don’t see detail.

Please join me in celebrating The Shadow.
Post your images here.

4E21EA1B-B0B8-47C5-8366-3513CDFA1865.jpeg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Tom,

I like the pattern and composition. I wouldn’t have realized there was a shadow immediately as it’s so clean and rectilinear.

It doesn’t scream, “Shadow” but interesting picture of part of a floor!

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Let me humbly add evidence of my own fidgeting with my fingers and admiration of a dolphin living in that world.

Asher Kelman: “Tickling The Walrus”

Asher

Asher Kelman

Now I realize I failed to recognize this as I was caught by the second well defined image.

It appears that you to fiddle with light creating shadows with your fingers!

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
76067B70-8A3A-43F2-8A55-E9FA9244FEC8.jpeg

the shadowcatches my eye more than that which I can see.
In light I see what I can clearly know. In darkness only I can show.
That fear is not what we behold but hidden in the shadows fold.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Please join me in celebrating The Shadow.
Post your images here.
With a great pleasure down under friend!

N000259.jpg

N000230.jpg

Some years ago, I wrote:
On Sunday morning, the sun invites itself at home.
Like, almost every day, but the other days I’m not home …
The light that sneaks up on the floor, walls or furniture moves me. Stubborn and volatile, subtle and fleeting. Magnificent! But playfull and shrewd she plays in a slow and inexorable movement, challenging and chasing the shades. She is so confident! Yet the shadows, its old accomplice has fun too and never get caught … They love each other, united, from morning till night they laugh and play at us. With majesty.
Madam light, I wish you a very good day…

More here

Tom dinning

Registrant*
With a great pleasure down under friend!

N000259.jpg

N000230.jpg

Some years ago, I wrote:
On Sunday morning, the sun invites itself at home.
Like, almost every day, but the other days I’m not home …
The light that sneaks up on the floor, walls or furniture moves me. Stubborn and volatile, subtle and fleeting. Magnificent! But playfull and shrewd she plays in a slow and inexorable movement, challenging and chasing the shades. She is so confident! Yet the shadows, its old accomplice has fun too and never get caught … They love each other, united, from morning till night they laugh and play at us. With majesty.
Madam light, I wish you a very good day…

More here

I knew I could rely on you, Nic.
So many ways to see.
How true it is that light and dark should “play”.
And how mysterious it is that our minds also interplay.
As if we want to join in but are unsure, tentative, even fearful.

There are many who prefer the shadows and find themselves in pain to expose themselves to the light.

92CD7DF7-3DA0-46B8-B101-702649B72594.jpeg